Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai Siochana

Options
  • 02-12-2009 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi!

Im in junior cert and iknow its a bit too early to be thinking but basically

school = me ****!

theres an alternative though I heard that al you need is English and maths but i dont know can anyone tell me if theres more too it?, bad things about it, good things about it?:cool:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

What are the educational requirements?

Candidates must have obtained in the Leaving Certificate:

* A grade not lower than B3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level in Mathematics, and
    * A qualifying grade in 2 languages, 1 of which must be English or Irish, as follows:
    English: a grade not lower that D3 at Ordinary Level
    Irish: a grade not lower than C3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level
    Other language: a grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, and
    * A grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, in not less than 2 other subjects

Or

The Merit Grade in the Applied Leaving Certificate

Or

Like Grades in another examination, which, in the opinion of the Minister for Justice, Equality & Law Reform, is not of a lower standard than the above.
    The requirements aren't by any means difficult for the gaurds. But it is abit early to think about it, and remember to never aim the lowest you can, if you change your mind you'd be in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 schoolboy1

What is the merit grade?

The Leaving Cert Applied is a bit different from the Leaving Cert. It has a more Vocational emphasis, as opposed to academic.

A merit grade is between 70-84% in the Leaving Cert Applied.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/state-examinations/leaving_certificate_applied

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Remember though that these are the absolute minimum requirements, and even in times of high employment most people applying for the Guards had far above this standard of achievement.

Given the current downturn in the jobs market and the ban on recruitment to the Gardai Siochana, resign yourself to the fact that when recruitment does open up again people will be applying with damn good Leaving Certs and in some cases third level qualifications.

If you really want the Guards, time to get the finger out! :)

Jaysus gettin the finger out isnt that easy i wish it was i cant study or nothing cant keep at anything but i believe theres alot of fitness i play alot of sports so id say dat wont be a prob

• Advertisement

schoolboy1 wrote: »
    Jaysus gettin the finger out isnt that easy i wish it was i cant study or nothing cant keep at anything but i believe theres alot of fitness i play alot of sports so id say dat wont be a prob
    You'll have to, if you want to do what you want to do - life isn't always about what you like to do, sometimes you have to do things you don't like. You'll be glad you did time the Leaving Cert comes around. Are you in 3rd year or 2nd year?

3rd I just have a serious problem cant study i'd make a big burst at it and then i just couldnt be bothered . Its all i want to do is really be a guard! suits me perfect. are you a garda?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Hi!

Im in junior cert and iknow its a bit too early to be thinking but basically

school = me ****!

theres an alternative though I heard that al you need is English and maths but i dont know can anyone tell me if theres more too it?, bad things about it, good things about it?:cool:

No offence but this is the whole reason why there are so many assholes in the Gardai Siochana. Wrong reasons for wanting the job to be honest.

EDIT:Just read your other post. If you want to be a garda thats fine. If you're doing it cause you know you can meet the requirements or if its perfect for you cause you're lazy (again, no offence) then I strongly suggest you think again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭kjbsrah

schoolboy1 - if you search this site with the words 'joining an garda siochana' you will find at fantastic thread with thousands of posts on it in relation to joining the guards. absolutely any question you have will be answered ten times over. have a look at it. but i would agree with a previous poster that it will be ages before there is even a hint of recruitment beginning again in the public service. and anyway, even when recruitment begins it takes up to 2 years between aptitude test and physical..... good luck with it.

No i mean im a good worker if i put my head into it! the job would suit me because i like doing new things everyday i'd hate to do the same thing day in and day out Im not lazy and im not that smart either but i was reading the requirements and its no problem for them i could even do a bit better actually a lot better if i put my head down to it .
    im not a lazy asshole by the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

No i mean im a good worker if i put my head into it! the job would suit me because i like doing new things everyday i'd hate to do the same thing day in and day out Im not lazy and im not that smart either but i was reading the requirements and its no problem for them i could even do a bit better actually a lot better if i put my head down to it .

No problem then!! Just be sure that you know the disadvantages as well as the advantages.

I know I'm a girl but being on the beat on a night like this is my idea of hell!!

3rd I just have a serious problem cant study i'd make a big burst at it and then i just couldnt be bothered . Its all i want to do is really be a guard! suits me perfect. are you a garda?
    No, I'm in 5th year! Information like this is easily availiable with a simple Google search. :)
    There's no point being a good worker "if you put your head to it". Sure everyone is a good worker if they put their head to it. Hard work is all that pays off at the end of the day, there's no smarter people, just people who work hard and know/have some idea of where they're going.

jumpguy wrote: »
    No, I'm in 5th year! Information like this is easily availiable with a simple Google search. :)

There's no point being a good worker "if you put your head to it". Sure everyone is a good worker if they put their head to it. Hard work is all that pays off at the end of the day, there's no smarter people, just people who work hard and know/have some idea of where they're going.

thanks for all the help peeps,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Jaysus gettin the finger out isnt that easy
    I wasn't trying to be smart, dude, but truth is truth, and the sooner you face up to the reality that if you really want the Guards you will need to achieve well above that minimum standard, the better for yourself. :)

Try to build up gradually rather than making a big rush at it. Promising yourself in a fit of enthusiasm you'll "do 4 hours study every night this week!!! :mad: :mad:" seldom works ... you'll last a night or two, and then give up, and then feel depressed about giving up.

Instead, decide you're going to do an extra 15 minutes each night. Record your time each evening somewhere for yourself. If you manage it for a week, treat yourself to some small reward at the weekend. In a few weeks time, when you're in the habit, add an extra 15 minutes.

Oh, and there's no point doing the time with a book in front of you if you're actually daydreaming of that young wan's ti ... titillating bits that you caught a glimpse of on the bus on the way home. Better to put in an hour actually working and paying attention than 3 hours dreaming and fidgeting.

Get the work done, put the books away, then mooch off to your bedroom and dream about yer wan in privacy and peace! :p:D

I wasn't trying to be smart, dude, but truth is truth, and the sooner you face up to the reality that if you really want the Guards you will need to achieve well above that minimum standard, the better for yourself. :)

Try to build up gradually rather than making a big rush at it. Promising yourself in a fit of enthusiasm you'll "do 4 hours study every night this week!!! :mad: :mad:" seldom works ... you'll last a night or two, and then give up, and then feel depressed about giving up.

Instead, decide you're going to do an extra 15 minutes each night. Record your time each evening somewhere for yourself. If you manage it for a week, treat yourself to some small reward at the weekend. In a few weeks time, when you're in the habit, add an extra 15 minutes.

Oh, and there's no point doing the time with a book in front of you if you're actually daydreaming of that young wan's ti ... titillating bits that you caught a glimpse of on the bus on the way home. Better to put in an hour actually working and paying attention than 3 hours dreaming and fidgeting.

Get the work done, put the books away, then mooch off to your bedroom and dream about yer wan in privacy and peace! :p:D

Everyone just like to say cheers,

got settled and studieng aced the xmas exams!!

Advertisement