Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concern Fast - Drink tea?

• 02-12-2009 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Doing the concern fast tomorrow and I can't find out if I'm allowed to drink tea or not. No FAQ on their website, tried to call but they're closed until 8 in the morning. It gives tips for fasting on their website but just says drink plenty of fluids during the day. I don't want to chance it and find out it was a cheat. Anyone know?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just eat ffs, I won't tell anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Pretty sure you can have tea. A friend of mine who once fasted said you could have cup'a soup, but i'm not sure how valid that is...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

Maybe just black tea or herbal tea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

Ah go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Proxy wrote: »
    Pretty sure you can have tea. A friend of mine who once fasted said you could have cup'a soup, but i'm not sure how valid that is...

Soup on a fast? Why bother doing a fast at all?

I don't believe for one second OP that you can't go 24 hours with nothing but water.

This is like Lent when people give up something except for Sunday and March 17th as "they don't count" :rolleyes:
    Fair play for starting this OP but do it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

mikemac wrote: »
    Soup on a fast? Why bother doing a fast at all?

I don't believe for one second OP that you can't go 24 hours with nothing but water.

This is like Lent when people fast except for Sunday and March 17th as "they don't count" :rolleyes:
    Fair play for starting this OP but do it right.
    It's well known that St. Patrick's Day is a freebie since it's a Holy Day of Obligation, they cancel out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

You're not allowed any drink other than water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I use to do it every year. You were allowed tea and glucose sweets for energy. I fasted from 9 till 9 that way I got breakfast and had a bigh chinese meal at 9 friday night.

Best of luck the sentiment is nobel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Tips for fasting - concernfast website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Just don't look up at the sun. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Regarding the cup a soup,when I did these fasts for school we were told that we could have some soup,but only if you started feeling extremely weak,dizzy,or about to faint etc.
    I think there are some people who can have undiagnosed hypoglycemia,and could slip unconscious if they're blood sugar levels drop too low from not eating.
    I'd say most people who have it though are probably already aware of their condition,so may have to avoid fasts.
    Don't know all the details of this condition though.
    If your generally in good health fasting should be grand,I used to drink water(sometimes with dilutable juice),but don't think it would be a big deal if you drank 1 or 2 cups of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Saibh wrote: »
    Tips for fasting - concernfast website
    •You might want to suck on sweets to keep your energy up (don’t worry, it isn’t cheating!)
    Eh, yes it is.
    Whats the point of a fast if you can eat sweets?

Who the hell came up with "it's not eating if you don't chew"?
    Damn those fastidious ducks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Just don't look up at the sun. :eek:

But it's full of Vitamin D :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I did a Concern fast in 1992 and watched Thelma & Louise on a loop - the sight, over and over, of Brad giving Geena Davis a good seeing-to made up for the lack of food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

Ahh, feck the tea what you need is loads of cigarettes, 'bout 40 should do the job.

And do you not only raise money for a good cause, you look really cool and impress your friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,521 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Regarding the cup a soup,when I did these fasts for school we were told that we could have some soup,but only if you started feeling extremely weak,dizzy,or about to faint etc.
    If you are that far gone, you shouldn't be fasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Victor wrote: »
    If you are that far gone, you shouldn't be fasting.
    Yeah I know,these were just the signs we were told about and that we should eat something immediately if we started experiencing these. I think the school just recommended cup a soup as it was quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭lauraisginger

I did it last year and we were drinking tea throughout the day,my school may have been a bit sympathetic to us though seeing as a teacher had fainted during class the year before whilest doing it, so yknow insurance and all that :p

I did seven to seven for my 24 so it wasnt as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Ah go on, do it hard core and dont take any food or water :D

Sure mewslims do it every year for ramadam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

I hate all this you can eat soup, you can have boiled sweets, you can drink water ****e

the whole point of the concern fast is that you are putting yourself in the shoes of a starving child....when was the last time anyone saw a malnutritioned dying child with a bag of eskimo mints and some knorr leek and potato ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Overheal wrote: »

Pff... wussy catholics :p mewslims are way more hard core http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasting#Islam
    No sex or getting angry :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Thanks to all you fasters out there! Great to see so many of you supporting the fast. I have strong Concern connections and can tell you that no one will say you cheated if you drink tea all day!
    In fact you don't even have to fast. Someone I know is dressing up in gold lame trousers and singing his way through the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Pff... wussy catholics :p mewslims are way more hard core http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasting#Islam
    No sex or getting angry :eek:
    No wonder they all.....

no prob shouldn't say that

*i'm sure you all know where I was going with that

Advertisement