Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real or fake?

• 02-12-2009 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Seems that more and more people are getting fake christmas trees these days and they certainly look more like real trees then the ones years ago who looking like deformed chimney sweeps brushes spray painted green.

But for some now matter how fancy the pre lit, spring loaded, scented "tree"
    they just don't compare to a real tree in the sitting room corner for the duration.

So real or fake?
    and why?

What type tree. 183 votes

Real tree, ahhhh that smell means christmas.
    0%
    Fake tree, it's just easier.
    55%
    BossArkyred_iceTom Dunnetony 2 tonepickarooneyNevynbandyLadySleipnirCalhounRaphaelomb0wyn5ehpij9Ron DMC[Deleted User]Diageio_ManSparkyNightwishKnifeWRENCHDigiJemNewaglish 101 votes
    Actually it's a high tech tree simulator with built in lights.
    39%
    OSiriSwintearcalex71JosephMimikyuEniiQuacklesbiko**Timbuk2**hellboy99mickoneill30r3nu4lmiameephasersfoxy06B0XironictoasterkoHdAbreanbrian ireland 72 votes
    None, Christmas/Yule trees just not are for me.
    3%
    pHOverflowcorblimey00sullydaiixicandy-gal1Eoineo 7 votes
    Christmas Jaguar.
    1%
    Mossy Monktuxyfishypancake 3 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭brennarr

Fake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

Real! Cant beat the smell of a real tree! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Parents always get a real tree but I have a fake one for my student house in Cork. You can't beat a real tree.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I love a real tree, the smell and everything is just awesome! We always have a real one in the family house (although there's an artificial one in the other sitting rooms). I live in an apartment, and have had a real one the last 3 holidays, but this year I've bought a fake one. The reason being, real ones are getting very expensive, and also, being in the apartment, it's very difficult to get a real one out when it's all dried up without making a dreadful mess of the common area. Last year I spent an hour hoovering the landing outside our apartment :( Got a lovely fake on in Tesco this year, it was half price too, which was a lovely bonus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Fake FTW. There's no mess/it's cheaper.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Real all the way, there's nothing like coming down in the morning to that lovely smell....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Real in my parents' house.
    There seems to be a fake one under the stairs in the house I'm renting in but there's very little chance of it being put up.
    Fake in my boyfriend's house. He had a rubbish fibre optic one so we bought a fake one in Dunnes.

Can't wait to put up the tree. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Real all the way! Nothing compares to them, in look or smell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

real
    mind you this will be our first year with a real one in a long time, opinion may change after a few days up i'm remembering all those pines all over the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Real of course! :p

I head out with my parents and sister to a local place to walk around and pick out our tree then they come cut it down and we take it home!
    Proper family cheesy day out! lol :D

Love the smell of a real tree, tbh it wouldn't feel like christmas for me without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Artificial! We have an amazing one that is the perfect size for the sitting room. We got a real one a few years ago and it looked really big when we bought it, but when we put it in the sitting room, it looked dwarfed. We left it up for about 2-3 days and eventually took it out and put back up our artificial one. It looked so much better! Plus no picking up needles!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Has to be real. Its the smell of Christmas in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Fake trees for me.

So far I have the traditional green, a black tree that was decorated with glass doves with white feathered tails and lots of other white feathery tree decorations.

This years is white,with red and white baubles and blue LCD lights.
    I love to be able to change the colour and the theme.

You really can't do the same with a real tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Fake! We used to have one of each, but we gave in a few years ago and bought a fake one, so much less hassle, and it looks great. We make up for the lack of smell by putting pine cones and Christmassy pot pourri in bowls around the sitting room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Fake trees FTW. Just easier to clean up after and its cheaper in the long run then buying a new one real tree every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

We alternate every year because we always forget how much mess a real one makes so we stick up the fake one the following year. This year will be a fake one, unless the OH volunteers to do the hoovering :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Definately a real tree. I love the smell off them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Real! I enjoy going out to pick one and the smell of it in the sitting room over the Christmas. I've a small fake one inside the front door in the hallway just for the "Christmas WOW!" factor when you walk in. :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Real, I don't understand this "it's easier mentality". Sharpshooter's reasoning I can understand, there's some sense there, but "Easier" just reads "laziness" to me. Where's the fun if you're not left hoovering up pine needles all day? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Fake because we never had a real tree in our house when I was growing up, and thus have no sentimental attachment to having a real tree.

Dystopian neo-Christmas ftw!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

You've never experienced the awesomeness of a real tree? That makes me sad! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Real. Unfortunately my Dad sometimes just doesn't feel arsed about getting a real one so we pull down the old, short and crappy fake one from the attic. I get a feeling that's the way things are going to go this year. :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Festivus pole for us. Clean and pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Real, I don't understand this "it's easier mentality". Sharpshooter's reasoning I can understand, there's some sense there, but "Easier" just reads "laziness" to me. Where's the fun if you're not left hoovering up pine needles all day? :)

OK, I've been won over. It's going to be a real one this year. We're off to get it tomorrow.......ho ho ho :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Real, for the simple reason that we have pets, they wreaked one plastic one and I decided rather than add more plastic to the landfill, I'd buy a real one every year and get it mulched when the council come to town in January.
    Also ove the smell!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    You've never experienced the awesomeness of a real tree? That makes me sad! :(
    You've never experienced the awesomeness of a fake one?

In the 20 years of my existence, we've always used the same fake tree. I have a sentimental attachment to that thing - it sits in the attic for months and then every year is taken out for Christmas. Putting up the tree is almost a ritual in our house.

Having a different, disposable tree every year? That doesn't sit well with me at all.

And why should a tree die for my gratification? Why should nature be distorted in such a way? Surely the Christmas tree industry espouses everything that is wrong with this modern, consumeristic Christmas?

I'll stick with my humble fake tree, thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Love real tree but tidying up is so annoying with a real one , needles everywhere.

Also it is for less than a month , you want it just for the smell?

I like a fake tree , familiarity about having the same one for years .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I think the renewable recourse which is a real tree which is then mluched is better then a fake tree and all the petrolchemicals used to make the plastics.

You can get nonshed trees and sweeing up isn't that hard to do when you take it out of the house imho.

Advertisement