Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real or fake?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Fake tree, it's just easier.
    You gotta get REAL.

Go into one of the DIY stores this weekend (otherewise they may be gone) and get a base to stand the tree in that also takes water. That way you'll minimise the volume of pines falling off. Make sure you top up the water once a week.

Real is the only way to go - the smell and the look of it really does say CHRISTMAS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.christmastreesdelivered.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭JamesTaylorfan

We have a fake xmas tree but we always spread a few branches of a real tree around the thing.We pick them up at the tree sellers off the ground for free.This way we get the convenience and the lovely smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Actually it's a high tech tree simulator with built in lights.
    Fake! We've had the same one since my parents got married cos my Granny got it for my parents for their first Christmas together. I love it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

We have a fake tree in our house and I absolutely love it,wouldn't change it for the world.

I think when I live on my own I'll have both,the idea of having a real tree is also appealing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

As with cobblelocking and low-maintenance gardens, a fake tree is just born out of pure laziness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

We usually get real trees, but this year we took the old fake one down from the attic.
    It's not the same, although we were able to put it up earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Real, by a long shot. Only problem is the fecking flat isn't big enough unless there's a bonzai version ... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Real, the smell just completes Christmas.
    Yeah, you have to clean up the mess but you can cut up the tree and use it in the fireplace for the cold month of January:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Fake.

It'll save you money in the long run, easily stored away, look like real trees these days, all the cool kids have one and plus it's not cool to cut down a living thing. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Unaton

Real! The smell is just mmmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Fake, brother has asthma and dad's chest can't bear the smell of real ones, they end up with bad chests / can't breathe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,935 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I don't understand this obsession with black christmas trees

black-christmas-tree1-300x300.jpg

That is so depressing looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Fake - no more messing with trying to get the lights working / going and buying new sets. Fibre optic lights are much cooler.

mind you I miss the pine smell on real

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I don't understand this obsession with black christmas trees

black-christmas-tree1-300x300.jpg

That is so depressing looking!

My need for a real tree conflicts with my desire for a black tree :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Spraypaint? :p

No I couldn't do that, the smell and the pines would just fall off quicker.

Got ours today, it smells wonderful in the house.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Fake.

It'll save you money in the long run, easily stored away, look like real trees these days, all the cool kids have one and plus it's not cool to cut down a living thing. :)

After all this we're getting a bloody real tree. Grr. I can't stand the smell of them.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

And in a brilliantly ironic twist I came home today to find we had some crap 6' fake tree. Bitterly disappointed, it looks like it'll keel over if I sneeze on the bloody thing :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Nothing says Christmas like an artificial tree(Green stringy stuff for leaves) and Panda ornaments. Don't have the Panda decorations anymore :(

Does putting lights on a tree in the front Garden count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Well I voted for "real" (it's true, you just can't beat that Xmas Smell) but we actually have a "fake".

But this is the dream ...

beerbottlexmas1.jpg

:)

LittleBook wrote: »
    Well I voted for "real" (it's true, you just can't beat that Xmas Smell) but we actually have a "fake".

But this is the dream ...

beerbottlexmas1.jpg

:)

I'll trade you our real tree for your fake one. I can't stand the smell of real trees and I think they look horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Fake for me. Our tree is a very realistic looking fake tree unlike a lot of the anaemic looking ones from yesteryear :)

That way I don't have the hassle of going out to look for a new one every year and then disposing of it after Christmas and that suits me fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

You've never experienced the awesomeness of a fake one?

In the 20 years of my existence, we've always used the same fake tree. I have a sentimental attachment to that thing - it sits in the attic for months and then every year is taken out for Christmas. Putting up the tree is almost a ritual in our house.

Having a different, disposable tree every year? That doesn't sit well with me at all.

And why should a tree die for my gratification? Why should nature be distorted in such a way? Surely the Christmas tree industry espouses everything that is wrong with this modern, consumeristic Christmas?

I'll stick with my humble fake tree, thanks. :)

Same here, we always Had the same fake one during my childhood and we always got really excited each year at taking it out and putting it up. Now that I am married We use a couple of feke ones around the house. A fab really big black one with white lights and silver trinkets and red butterflies in the sitting room. In the front room its a green one with lots of colour. Would love to get a white one for the front hall but we will see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I used to prefer the real tree, but nowadays I just can't be bothered to cut one down simply to decorate my living room for a fortnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Grew up with real tree every Christmas but since a few years have turned to the dark side.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

I don't quite understand the logic behind "fake is cheaper".

If you want something that looks half way decent you'll spend around 200-300. And most people do actually NOT keep it until it's broken. They see something better looking the following year and kick the previous one out....the plastic in it is non-recycable and will end up releasing toxins forever (beyond a human's life) on a landfill or will be burned and realease the toxins directly and fast into the air.

I went to Woodies today to have a look at fake trees and they were all horrible. Atlantic had a better choice, but that might have been just the area I live in.

What do you think about "real feel" (PE) trees?
    http://www.irishchristmastrees.com/mall/productpage.cfm/IrishChristmasTrees/Fraser%20Fir%20Pe%20Tree%20e235/284775
    Do you think it would be worth 269? Has anyone bought in this shop? What is your opinion?

I saw this one in Atlantic:
    http://www.buy4now.ie/atlantic/productdetail.aspx?pid=813574&loc=P&catid=1.45

I am really undecided this year.
    Read up loads about PVC and working conditions in fabrics in China and Taiwan, that fabric in Wicklow, etc..... and pesticides on real trees....that you then end up inhaling in your living room.

I'm nearly thinking not to get a tree at all.
    That doesn't feel right though!!!

I had a 5-6feet one last year from a shop around the corner for 40eur and it was ok-ish. I bought it with my mom and she is a big "real tree" enthusiast, which kinda swept me along too. This year I'm left to my own devices and I just don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Used to always have a real tree, then moved to artificial tree about 5 years ago - I'm sick of it. Going to get a real one this year, miss the smell and all the needles on the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

moderators im sorry if this is not the place to ask this question; where can i find a christmas tree real one. for less than 40e. say 20-25e..i live in galway.

Advertisement