Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real or fake?

13»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Fake tree, it's just easier.
    Real Christmas trees are quite expensive, I think you'll struggle to find one for that cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Actually it's a high tech tree simulator with built in lights.
    blond45 wrote: »
    moderators im sorry if this is not the place to ask this question; where can i find a christmas tree real one. for less than 40e. say 20-25e..i live in galway.

Maybe you can start growing one now for next year. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Fake, unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mr.equinox

Hi all, I am considering getting a fake christmas tree this year, it will be my first artificial one EVER :)

Anyway i was just wondering if any one could recommend a shop who sells nice fake christmas trees???

I've heard through friends of friends that argos and heatons have nice ones, but i would appreciate any suggestions of where i could get a good one or if u want to share any personal experiences, feel free! thanks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I got a lovely fake tree in Dunnes. It was €75 and is really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

janeybabe wrote: »
    I got a lovely fake tree in Dunnes. It was €75 and is really nice.

Snap! :D

That's where I got mine this year and my black one two years ago.:pac:

They are a lovely tree alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Fake ones here im afraid, I'm allergic to the real ones!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

We always had a really crappy fake one when I was a kid in the 80s - it was wretched looking. :D

Then they started getting a real one - and they've stuck to that. Ya can't beat the smell of real Christmas tree. So my preference is a real one - but I know there are fake ones available now that look just as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

We got our tree yesterday and the smell in the place off it is so nice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

I think it`ll be fake this year, trying to find a decent one though, we have a fibre optic one, but its a bit gammy really.

When I was a kid we had a glorified pipe cleaner with that cheap foil stuff coming off it, such were the times ! Then when I hit my teens we my brother demanded a real tree, it was awesome, the smell, the look, theres nothing like it. But they are messy and its always so depressing when you go to throw it out in Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

mr.equinox wrote: »
    Hi all, I am considering getting a fake christmas tree this year, it will be my first artificial one EVER :)

Anyway i was just wondering if any one could recommend a shop who sells nice fake christmas trees???

I've heard through friends of friends that argos and heatons have nice ones, but i would appreciate any suggestions of where i could get a good one or if u want to share any personal experiences, feel free! thanks :D

I got mine in Woodies. It is 7.5feet and was 199 (it has cones and berries and some sort of brown branches around the berries), but because it was the last and a showpiece they gave me 30% off, which was nice. It's fantastic. And it's produced in Ireland, so I won't have to worry that my tree harmed little children in factories in China or Taiwan, working with PVC.
    I love my tree. And I will love it again next year!!

There's a super expensive shop in Dundrum, next to the church, and they do "real feel" artificial trees.

It really depends on how much money you would like to spend.

Good luck with your purchase!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Was in tesco earlier and they had these small potted tree's about 50cm in height, not xmas trees, long trunk about 2cm thick and a head of bushy leaves at the top (sorry im no plant expert) about 10 cm wide.

They where decorated with little flashing led's and looked really cool , best thing is that after xmas you take the lights off and you still have a cool house plant. Not sure how much they were but im going back for one later in the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

calex71 wrote: »
    They where decorated with little flashing led's and looked really cool , best thing is that after xmas you take the lights off and you still have a cool house plant. Not sure how much they were but im going back for one later in the week.

That sounds kinda cool - you get a nice plant after christmas :)

We have our good oul plastic trees up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

my "fabulous" ba$tard tree is drying out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You need to water it a bit don't you?
    There's a way for real trees, when you buy them - afaik, you need a male tree (is it?) cuz the female trees tend to stink more. And you should ask for a bit to be cut off the base of the tree, makes it fresher or something, and you put it in one of those special stands that allows water in it.

I *think*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

We've one of each in our house. It was either that or a divorce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

star-pants wrote: »
    you need a male tree (is it?) cuz the female trees tend to stink more
    If you get both, do you need to separate them?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

If you get both, do you need to separate them?
    :D

Fake for me, real trees are spindly and bare looking, fake ones have more coverage, and you can hang more glittery doo-dads on it and make it look truly OTT.
    Our Tree is as old as me :eek: and it has become a real family tradition to all put up the tree and decorate it while listening to the same cheesy tape we've had for decades. Happy days.
    It's definitely not a laziness thing, no short-cuts with this one, it is put together branch by branch. It takes a whole family a whole evening to get it all done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I have a fake tree but its the most real "fake" I've ever seen!!! We got it almost 20 years ago and it was by far the most expensive tree in roches stores. It looks more real than any of the trees for sale in Ireland! It looks like its straight from a real American christmas catologue of some sort, it holds the shape of a real tree without the mess. It isn't one of those trees with the big Pyramid shape to it. It is tall, slim and tidy! Love it!

Advertisement