Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband in Balbriggan Yes/No?

Options
  • 02-12-2009 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting mobile broadband as am paying 52euro a month for eircom and never use the house phone so seems like a total waste of money.

From browsing the broadband/Midband thread there seems to be conflicting satisfaction levels with the different providers.

I basically just surf boards/facebook/ebay etc. I don't stream movies or download huge gb's data.

So I'm looking for people in Balbriggan (particularly Hamlet lane area) who have mobile broadband to rate their service.

Thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

I'm also interested in mobile b/band around the Dublin Street side of town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Mobile broadband is handy if your stuck and nothing else is available.
    It's quite usable in the city center (again, if at a conference or coffee shop or some such), it's certainly not something I'd like to rely on for day-to-day internet use, even if I was to stay off any large-download sites.

Out in Balbriggan, it's very touch and go, sometimes not too bad, but other times will see latency upto 6-8 seconds.

As a test, you can probably just get the USB stick, activate data plan on your phone for a month, and test it on & off for the month. At least that way only lose €20 for the hardware, and can see if it meets your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LaFleur

I've used both Meteor and o2 in Balbriggan.

I've found o2 slightly better to use. But it's a little more expensive. Mobile Broadband is ideal for just surfing on facebook / boards / ebay as you said. It can be extreamly slow if you watch anything on youtube etc.

As for where you are located in the town, i am less the 1km from the mast station at the garda station, so i usually get good coverage.

It really is a great saver if you dont want to get a fixed telephone line.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Digiwebs 4g dongle is brilliant or was when I tried it anyway but lacked coverage elsewhere.
    It was nice and fast and coverage was excellent.
    o2 3g works fine there too but is only suitable for e-mail and web browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

I was looking at digiweb as I had seen you previously recommend it on another thread but they charge 200 connection fee.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm thinking I'll just stick with the phoneline, having a look at smart/vodafone at home as cheaper than eircom. I couldn't be coping with drop outs in the last crucial seconds of an ebay auction!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

why don't you try a cheaper landline provider? You could get the same if not better package with Vodafone for €37 a month. If you are already a Vodafone mobile customer you can get it for €35

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I use meteor, and am Located near Castlemill, so in the same area as you. Find it fine for surfing, checking email etc. It does get slow at certain times, usually early evening between 5-7pm. But generally its fine, and suitable for what we need it for. No contract, and we can still get fixed BB if we want, and go back to the mobile.
    I'm quite happy with the service we get.

Advertisement