Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescriptions with medical card...

Options
  • 02-12-2009 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I applied for my GP card to be renewed and was fortunate enough to end up with a full medical card. I have a regular prescription from the HSE which up till now I have paid for myself.
    Does the medical card now cover this?
    Also, are they particular prescriptions that have to go with the card or do I just show the card to the pharmacist when they dispense and are about to ring it up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I applied for my GP card to be renewed and was fortunate enough to end up with a full medical card. I have a regular prescription from the HSE which up till now I have paid for myself.
    Does the medical card now cover this?
    Also, are they particular prescriptions that have to go with the card or do I just show the card to the pharmacist when they dispense and are about to ring it up?

Lucky you!
    Your GP has to write the prescription onto a GMS prescription form.

PLEASE, don't do this:
    do I just show the card to the pharmacist when they dispense and are about to ring it up?
    It's very annoying!!!

All the best,
    L-M. (Pharmacist)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Skittlers

Lucky you!

PLEASE, don't do this:
    It's very annoying!!!

All the best,
    L-M. (Pharmacist)

OHHHh its very annoying...Great reply to someone looking for advice..
    Thank god all pharmacists are not like that..
    No need to bring medical card with you - would have been a reasonable reply..Thats my opinion.anyways..Hope its not Annoying.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

Skittlers wrote: »
    No need to bring medical card with you - would have been a reasonable reply..Thats my opinion.anyways..Hope its not Annoying.:mad:
    have to agree with skittlers,the op was asking a question.some meds are on medical card others are not.been in the same position myself,not every person is up to speed on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 feckoffcrow

Thanks for the replies folks. I have an old prescription that i'd prefer to use if possible - as it would save me having to go back to the gp. Is there any way this may be accepted without the GPS prescription form?

The meds in question are xanax & lexapro. Would these be covered by the card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Skittlers wrote: »
    blossom180 wrote: »
    have to agree with skittlers,the op was asking a question.some meds are on medical card others are not.been in the same position myself,not every person is up to speed on this.

in fairness to L-M, I took it as a joke - AFTER the OP's question was answered.

Guys if you have a problem with a post, just report it, ok? don't clutter up a thread with opinions on previous posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

feckoffcrow

For the pharmacy to recieve payment you will have to get your meds put on a GMS prescription but you might be able to just ask at the doctors for it to be done and might not need to see him.
    I dont think L-M was being rude or anything!! As a trainee pharmacist myself what L-M said was true!
    Everything needs to be on the right form for payment reasons and you shouldnt have a problem getting your meds on GMS.

FluffyCat wrote: »
    feckoffcrow

For the pharmacy to recieve payment you will have to get your meds put on a GMS prescription but you might be able to just ask at the doctors for it to be done and might not need to see him.
    I dont think L-M was being rude or anything!! As a trainee pharmacist myself what L-M said was true!
    Everything needs to be on the right form for payment reasons and you shouldnt have a problem getting your meds on GMS.
    thanks FluffyCat.

Thanks for the replies folks. I have an old prescription that i'd prefer to use if possible - as it would save me having to go back to the gp. Is there any way this may be accepted without the GPS prescription form?

The meds in question are xanax & lexapro. Would these be covered by the card?

Yes, they are covered, but only if written on a GMS prescription form. You have to go back to the Dr.

I apologise if my previous answer caused any offence. That obviously wan't my intention.
    May I point out though, that I truthfully answered both parts of the question in the OP's last sentence. The fact that I did so in a slightly jokey manner is irrelevant.
    (There was also another question in the original post, which I couldn't answer at the time as the OP hadn't included enough information. That information has since been supplied and the question answered.)

I'd like to hear if the OP was offended, or was everyone being offended on his behalf?

I'd like to hear if the OP was offended, or was everyone being offended on his behalf?
    Not particularly, no. We all have things that happen during our working days that irritate. However, on the flip side, I'd imagine some people show the cards cos they don't know what the protocol is...

... I'd imagine some people show the cards cos they don't know what the protocol is...

Absolutely! And because the person doesn't know they're doing the wrong thing, we can't show our annoyance there and then. So, hence I get a little, I dunno, sarcastic or whatever here.

BTW, thanks for asking the question here first. I wish everyone did the same.

Or... and this is a really wild idea... nah, it'd never work... but then again...
    I wonder could the HSE maybe write a letter, that they send out to people who get a new card, that explains to the how to use it! Or is that too much to expect from our favourite bloated bureaucracy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 aFineDayToExit

Some pharmacies will dispense prescription meds to regular customers who are on their system without the perscription at point of sale, but they rely on your honesty to actually come back with the prescription within a few days........medical card holders only thought it seems

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Some pharmacies will dispense prescription meds to regular customers who are on their system without the perscription at point of sale, but they rely on your honesty to actually come back with the prescription within a few days........medical card holders only thought it seems
    LTI bookholders too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭katiebelle

Don't forget that even on the medical card you will have to pay 50c for each item on the prescription.

Advertisement