Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senior Gardai and media putting licenced firearms owners secuirty at risk

Options
  • 02-12-2009 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭

when you have to appeal your refused license to the district court Senior garda and the media are putting licensed sporting firearms owners at risk by having them get up in open court to plead there case where criminals and and anyone can listen and the media are printing that so and so of such a place etc.I feel that this should not be allowed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

+1 Meathshooter. I had a falling out with several journos on this very point a last year after a HC case. It's like giving the crims a shopping list with a google map to your house. And on a similar point...... here's hoping no-one looses their firearms certs while out and about... they have your
    Name
    Address
    Gun Make/Model/Calibre
    Number of rounds

on them.

All they are short of telling someone is
    where in the house the gun-safe is
    and what days/nights are you least likely to be home!

Clever clever folks did these tiny slippy little things up on their puters you know.:rolleyes:

Why they couldn't just have had a name, pulse ID and gun serial number I don't know?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, DC hearings can be held in camera for a start.
    As to the licence, given that there's already been at least one case where a garda was charged with giving out information from PULSE to criminal gangs, I think you're worrying about putting a steel door on a grass hut. (And you need number of rounds on the licence for purchasing ammunition - and to top that off, the europass has had that much information on it for years).

I get the concerns, but they're far less worrying than some of the other stuff that's happening right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

You should ask for your case to be heard in camera and have your brief ask the judge to direct the court reporters to not release your name or address.

It should be noted that you cannot bring anyone into the court with you if held in camera.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Bananaman wrote: »
    It should be noted that you cannot bring anyone into the court with you if held in camera.
    Well, except for your solicitor, obviously...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Bananaman wrote: »

B'Man

You can bring anyone in that you like.

As long as you can get the judge to go along with it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Thats the whole of an incamera hearing that members of the public and press is excluded or information is released to them and only revelant individuals witnesses and parties are admitted.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

when you have to appeal your refused license to the district court Senior garda and the media are putting licensed sporting firearms owners at risk by having them get up in open court to plead there case where criminals and and anyone can listen and the media are printing that so and so of such a place etc.I feel that this should not be allowed

You are blaming the wrong organisations. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Gardai nor the journolists for not having these type of court proceedings in camera, its the Courts Service that you need to get onto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i think the guards also use this as a deterent to people appealing , so if you appeal its a case of "be it on your own head"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

rowa wrote: »
    i think the guards also use this as a deterent to people appealing , so if you appeal its a case of "be it on your own head"

I had this problem after my Judicial review, papers started to print my name, address and that I now owned a 9mm Luger, had to phone all the papers and tell them they had a duty of care in this country not to put another citizen in harms way and it stopped, they'd do the story then, but without the details, when I phoned my local rag and told him not to print my name, he suggested I should sell my firearms, hoping to wind me up for a better story, but I stuck to my "guns" and he agreed in the end to run the story without my name or exact area given.

In fairness the Gardai should have spotted the in camera thing and insisted on it in each firearms court case, their the security experts.

HJ:)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

Security Experts - All I'll say is "if undelivered, please return to Firearms Section" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

my solicitor has informed me that "in camera" only applies to sexual assualt cases and family cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

my solicitor has informed me that "in camera" only applies to sexual assualt cases and family cases.

maybe we can get our own court after all the garda have theres for the compensation fund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

so you have to stand in court and give your details in front of every little chav , scumbag and wanna be hardman , thats a security risk right there .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

maybe we can get our own court after all the garda have theres for the compensation fund

Every citizen and Government body has a duty of care not to put another person in harms way, I'm defending myself here, and I asked the court clerk for in camera, so far it looks like I'll be granted it as he didnt say no when I asked for it. I'd imagine that any court case that would make mention of official state secrets would also be held in camera.

HJ:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

BULLSHT!!!:rolleyes:It can apply too to libel cases as well.Or to any case that is not in the intrest of the public having all details.

What is more of a problem is going to be for you to defend agsainst the Garda Ballistic expert.You cant bring anyone else not directly involved in the case to testify on your behalf.But the Gardai can bring their Ballistic expert into the court ,due to the fact he is simply a Garda!!Talk about a rigged system!!:mad:So the only other option is to hold it in an open court,thussly reunning the risk of you ending on a scumbag shopping list!!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

thussly reunning the risk of you ending on a scumbag shopping list!!

catch .22, bigger risk to public safety, equality law in ireland:p

Advertisement