Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Commerce like? (1st year)

Options
  • 02-12-2009 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Im just wondering if any first year commerce student (or 2nd, 3rd, 4th) could take a few mins to explain what the course is like.

ie. what the modules consist of, are they interesting, are the lecturers good and other aspects

regards
    Poxy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Im a second year, found it great so far. Its not a piss easy course, but it is broken up into manageable bits, but Ive found that it does require you to show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭c7

Semester 1:
    Business Law
    3 hours a week, with your batch of ~50 people in Quinn. Interesting enough course, involves a visit to the District Court and the Continuous Assessment could be done at your own pace as long as it was in before the deadline. Lecturer was good, told a few jokes, kept the class interested and generally only lectured for 2 out of the 3 scheduled hours.

Maths for Business
    3/4 lectures a week, +1 tutorial in Quinn. Very handy course if you've done any amount of Honours Maths in the Leaving and very do-able if you did well in Ordinary. Make sure to do the problem sheets for tutorials and you should fly by. Tutors were very helpful. Can be difficult to pay attention to Maths in a large lecture hall, but lecturers do try to make problem sheets etc. relevant.
    100% exam, no CA.

Micro-economics
    3/4 lectures a week. Most people found this very difficult, we had 3 different lecturers over 12 weeks and some of them were good while others were awful. Reading is heavy in this subject and can be difficult to catch-up if you fall behind and/or miss lectures. There is a Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) mid-term which goes towards your end of year grade, along with another MCQ.

Management
    3 hour small group in Quinn. A lot of information to learn and our lecturer was terrible. Was impossible to pay attention, as the lecturer had very poor English and in the first semester the class was very hesitant to answer, hence awkward silence for 3 hours... 2 MCQs each week in class for CA, one at the start on previous week's material and at the end of the lectures material, so you have to pay attention. By the end of the year we had a different lecturer which made the class a lot more interesting, so it's the luck of the draw.

Introduction to Computers & Info. Systems
    3 hour small Group. Content wasn't very difficult to grasp.Website Design was one of the CA projects along with a practical exam in Excel, and group presentations on course content. Most people got As in this class if they had made some effort with CA and studied for the exam!

Will do Semester 2 later!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Im a second year, found it great so far. Its not a piss easy course, but it is broken up into manageable bits, but Ive found that it does require you to show up.

This is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

This is not true.

If you want to do in CA marks, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Jev/N wrote: »
    If you want to do in CA marks, it is.

No. Still not true.

I mean, obviously to do very very well you'll need to be in a fair bit. Im talking 1.1 high 2.1 here. But for everything esle, no, not really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

No. Still not true.

I mean, obviously to do very very well you'll need to be in a fair bit. Im talking 1.1 high 2.1 here. But for everything esle, no, not really.

Depends what you're definition of doing "very very well" is; for me having a high 2.1, isn't

Either way, by not going in often, your marks will take a hit, whatever your standard is

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Subjects like Economics and Accounting in first year can completely run away from you if you start missing lectures. Management with its MCQ in every lecture means you have to show up, or you lose C.A points. There are subjects that can be missed from time to time

And by doing well I mean an A-B average.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

c7 wrote: »
    Semester 1:
    Business Law
    3 hours a week, with your batch of ~50 people in Quinn. Interesting enough course, involves a visit to the District Court and the Continuous Assessment could be done at your own pace as long as it was in before the deadline. Lecturer was good, told a few jokes, kept the class interested and generally only lectured for 2 out of the 3 scheduled hours.

Maths for Business
    3/4 lectures a week, +1 tutorial in Quinn. Very handy course if you've done any amount of Honours Maths in the Leaving and very do-able if you did well in Ordinary. Make sure to do the problem sheets for tutorials and you should fly by. Tutors were very helpful. Can be difficult to pay attention to Maths in a large lecture hall, but lecturers do try to make problem sheets etc. relevant.
    100% exam, no CA.

Micro-economics
    3/4 lectures a week. Most people found this very difficult, we had 3 different lecturers over 12 weeks and some of them were good while others were awful. Reading is heavy in this subject and can be difficult to catch-up if you fall behind and/or miss lectures. There is a Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) mid-term which goes towards your end of year grade, along with another MCQ.

Management
    3 hour small group in Quinn. A lot of information to learn and our lecturer was terrible. Was impossible to pay attention, as the lecturer had very poor English and in the first semester the class was very hesitant to answer, hence awkward silence for 3 hours... 2 MCQs each week in class for CA, one at the start on previous week's material and at the end of the lectures material, so you have to pay attention. By the end of the year we had a different lecturer which made the class a lot more interesting, so it's the luck of the draw.

Introduction to Computers & Info. Systems
    3 hour small Group. Content wasn't very difficult to grasp.Website Design was one of the CA projects along with a practical exam in Excel, and group presentations on course content. Most people got As in this class if they had made some effort with CA and studied for the exam!

Will do Semester 2 later!

Things changed a little this year:
    Business law: two hour lecture in arts block with another ~150 fellow students and one hour small group class with your batch in Quinn. We didn't go to the court, instead we watched a movie :mad:. But the lecturer was fine and quite interesting.

Management: 2 hours a week and we had 1 MCQ a week. Our lecturer disappeared for 2 weeks, so we had to stay for 2 hours one day to catch up :(.

Microeconomics: we didn't have mid-term MCQ, because of the swine flu (it rhymes :D). So our Christmas exam is 100%, unfortunately :(. An incredibly boring subject, imo.

Maths for business: 3 lecures and 1 small group. Our tutor was very bad, but the problem sheets and course documents are very good in my opinion. I've done HL maths for 1,5 years until I dropped out and I find it very doable.

Introduction to computers & info systems my fave class so far. It is really doable if you're good in computers, excel and other stuff like this. Our lecturer was gas and this was class I've enjoyed mostly so far :).

Advertisement