Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody been asked to drop some guns?

Options
  • 02-12-2009 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

I got a call from the FO this eve telling me that the super has my apps on his desk and he thinks i have too many guns, he is telling me i have to hand up two licences, end of, i told him i have had this many guns for years and never a bother and he says the super thinks i have an arsenal and i have to cut it, so i say i want to meet the super and he rang back to say i have to meet an inspector now and he will deal with it, wtf ?? am i pissing up a down-pipe here??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I got a call from the FO this eve telling me that the super has my apps on his desk and he thinks i have too many guns, he is telling me i have to hand up two licences, end of, i told him i have had this many guns for years and never a bother and he says the super thinks i have an arsenal and i have to cut it, so i say i want to meet the super and he rang back to say i have to meet an inspector now and he will deal with it, wtf ?? am i pissing up a down-pipe here??
    Read the note from the NARGC on the other thread. There's not much to add to that except to reinforce the fact that the same Super gave you licences for the 'arsenal', so was he having an out of body experience at the time?

As the NARGC said, his job is to make a decision not play 'hide the firearms' with you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Originally Posted by Sparks

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO GUN CLUB MEMBERS
    IN THE BALBRIGGAN GARDA DISTRICT

NARGC has been consulted by a significant number of it’s Gun Blub members in the Balbriggan Garda District who have reported being requested by the Balbriggan Garda Superintendent, or by Officers on his behalf, to surrender some firearms where the licence holders have had several guns previously licensed. We are informed that, for example, where more than one shotgun or rifle may have been licensed previously the applicant is being told to pick one as only one will be licensed and that the reason for this is that the Superintendent intends to reduce the number of licensed guns in his District.

NARGC advises Gun Club Members not to give in to this pressure. If they succumb to this, then the Garda Superintendent avoids having to make a decision, particularly a negative decision which can be challenged in the District Court. If gun owners make a choice and give up a gun under this kind of pressure they will not be able to lodge any appeal to the District Court because the Superintendent will not have made a negative decision.

Gun owners who are confronted by the Gardai requesting them to make this kind of choice should politely refuse and insist that the Superintendent is in possession of perfectly valid applications and that he will have to make his decision. Where he decides to refuse certificates for firearms he has licensed in the past, he will simply have to come to the District Court and justify his decision under cross examination when appeals are lodged.

NARGC has instructed it’s legal advisors in relation to this matter and is now anxious to receive written submissions from all NARGC Gun Club members in the Balbriggan Garda District who have been presented, either at a meeting or over the telephone, with the aforementioned option.

Details to:
    NARGC,
    6, Sandford Road
    Ranelagh
    Dublin 6
    Tele: 01-497 4888
    Fax: 01-497 4828
    Email: nargc@iol.ie

Don't know if you are a member of the NARGC or not but still, a good bit of advice.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Give him nothin!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Thanks, as it happens, i have been ringing the station all week trying to get the FO to see can i change a rimfire and a shotgun for another fullbore of the same caliber as the one i have(2 licences for 1), might not sound like much sense in that but the second one is for driven boar hunts, the original one for deer stalking, same calibre, two completley different types of gun, that would bring the arsenal down to five, i also had them out here a couple of weeks ago inspecting my security setup, taking photos and checking all my calibres/serial numbers, they said i had more than enough security, now a big u-turn, the FO says, "too many guns for one man, be different if there was three or four shooters in the house" , how is that different?? still same amount of guns in same house.. back to the old make the rules to suit job again..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If there was three or four shooters in the house, wouldn't he be worried about whether one of them could gain access to the firearms of the others? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Time to change district methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Looks like my theory is right ;)

My Super previously told me 4 was the most licences he would allow me, same as yourself, strange that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I'd say that this one will blow up pretty quick and its going to get messy. BTW four licences was an un written rule going back years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

In the popular questions relating to firearms applications section on the garda website the question of how many firearms you can have is brought up.It states that there is NO limit but there are new requirements in security in short. http://garda.ie/Documents/User/Popular%20questions%204.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

yep, and thats why I'm saying this will blow up soon it to a full blown row.
    I feel its gone too far for it to be solved in an amicable fashion

• Advertisement

I have all the requirements and more for six firearms and they know coz they were here three weeks ago and still have this crap tp deal with, im meeting the inspector at 5 this eve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I only have received license for 3 of my 5 firearms, difficult to get through to the FO, I have a feeling I may be refused my second fullbore and 2nd rimfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

A mate of mine living in Kilrush who has held a 12G auto and a winchester wingmaster pump for a number of years was told ecently by his F/O that the super will not licence his pump this year and to hand it in, which he did to his local station I believe. I wonder where or who has i now

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

im meeting the inspector at 5 this eve

Best of luck to you. Let us know how you get on if you feel up to it.

6.5 hope it went well for you

Right, not good, went down, had all my permissions, coillte permits n sitch, he sits at the desk and says, you have six applications here, you have to pick the four that you want to keep as you are only getting four end of story, so i ask why and he says we think you have too many and two have to go, i say thats not good enough reason, selective deafness, bottom line here is its four and no more, and he also says im not the only one getting this treatment, i will get my selected four and get refusals for the other two and if i want i can go to the distict court. four is the new limit he tells me even tho i have it in black and white in my hand from the garda website that there is no limit,he says i dont care what that says you have been told where you stand, makin up the rules again , complete pile of crap. Legal road. not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Right, not good, went down, had all my permissions, coillte permits n sitch, he sits at the desk and says, you have six applications here, you have to pick the four that you want to keep as you are only getting four end of story, so i ask why and he says we think you have too many and two have to go, i say thats not good enough reason, selective deafness, bottom line here is its four and no more, and he also says im not the only one getting this treatment, i will get my selected four and get refusals for the other two and if i want i can go to the distict court. four is the new limit he tells me even tho i have it in black and white in my hand from the garda website that there is no limit,he says i dont care what that says you have been told where you stand, makin up the rules again , complete pile of crap. Legal road. not happy.

That is disgusting, cynical treatment. I wish you well if you plan on pursuing this further. There's no basis in law for this artificial limit, and it needs to be recognised as such.

TBH I got that same lecture and attitude last year :eek:

And we were told things were gonna be better :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Sparks wrote: »
    If there was three or four shooters in the house, wouldn't he be worried about whether one of them could gain access to the firearms of the others? :rolleyes:

WHAT!!
    Is this you showing off your darker side:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

What is it with the gardai! can they not just implement the system which was arranged by smarter people than them!!

Also is it not a complete breach of the law to make such statements to any firearms owner!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

ring the nargc and let them know.soft targets again made by people who probably cant tell the difference of caliber and there practical uses in the field or sport(they are simply under trained in these matters).I can see where this is all leading D ahern self glorifying himself that he has taken so many firearms out of circulation trying to make him and his dying government look good, and from talking to garda I know this seems to be the objective.which for one sporting firearms where not a problem and two the criminals still have theres and are got from the drug trade and thats the problem not us.and this district court lark is a joke them judges are mates with the supers justice is blind my b****.Blind to the corruption that has gone on. I was told a few years ago the same not to apply for any more firearms that didn't stop me as I could show good reason for requiring them and I use all my firearms regularly for their intended propose.Where all the work that the FCP,and NGB done gone in one ear and out the other. back to the ould days of make it up as we go.rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

WHAT!!
    Is this you showing off your darker side:D
    Nope, I'm just remembering several court cases from the UK where precisely that situation arose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

While you're in court, you might ask him to refund you the money for the security improvements he made you do to get the licences in the first place.

Seeing as according to him you don't need them anymore. :rolleyes:

My advice is to take it up with your NGB and get them to follow it up with the FPU for you.

Keep your applications in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Kimber

In response to the Super's "Pick 4"

I said this once a few years back and at the time what I would call a "Bully" just kept on jumping on every thread I typed.

So again I say it.
    In the context from your meeting with the Super and in response to "Pick 4".

Take a case of discrimination against the Super.

Before all the wanna be solicitors jump in.
    I will repeat this again. I did it b4 and I won. End of.
    My 2 bob boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

This is a very sad state of the nation when the Gardai bully sports people for no good reason, a friend of mine has moved to Canada and I can see why now.

I can remember here in Kerry when I tried to get a second 22 rifle, it took a few years as most Gardai kept refusing to accept the application saying that in Ireland you were only allowed one rifle, I kept saying they were wrong and eventually got a twenty two to go with my hornet, said I needed it for targets, it took 30 minutes of talking ballistics to the Garda and in the end when I explained that hornet ammo was 50 pence a round and 22 long rifle 5 pence he then said oh you could'nt be shooting targets at 50 pence a round I'll let you get the 22lr, then a year or two later I sold the hornet, swopped to a semi and B/A twenty two rifles and applied for a .220 Swift, said that 22 were not humane for foxes, which they are not really, got that, so I had one 22 for targets, one twenty two for rabbits, one high velocity 22 for foxes, back then I used to lamp foxes non stop, got that and went back asking for a deer rifle in .270, they had a melt down, but each time I put my application in by registered mail, and included a hand written letter explaining what purpose I had for the gun I was seeking the rifle. I dont remember how many applications the Gardai told me they lost, but it was a lot, how can a policeman lose sensitive info like that in a police station of all places.
    Most of the time the local Garda would wink at me, I've checked your safe ok!

I remember once swopping over a 12 gauge semi for a OU Beretta I'd sold, got the semi from the UK new half price, any way my local Garda swopped the license over for me after a few tears and I never got a renewal for it! Never.

Two years later I called down to him and told him and he blamed the pulse system. That gun had just dropped off the licensing system totally. I'm not a crim, I'd prefer to just have a license.

I think they see us as extra work without over time. An old game shooter told me once, he said if you were beating your missus at 3 am once a week they'd be mad about you cause they'd be getting paid extra from your behavour, but because your just causing extra paper work they hate you, theres no over time in firearms licenses.

I reckon when they start carrying guns themselves then they will stop looking down at us and see us more on a par, but god save us when every Gardai gets hold of 9mm's, if they think 9mm's are a source of danger with target shooters, wait till all the Gardai carry them every day, should make for some lovely fireworks!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

happyjack wrote: »
    I reckon when they start carrying guns themselves then they will stop looking down at us and see us more on a par, but god save us when every Gardai gets hold of 9mm's, if they think 9mm's are a source of danger with target shooters, wait till all the Gardai carry them every day, should make for some lovely fireworks!:eek:

Well since they want to use their draconian laws and class all us shooters as a danger to society perhaps we should remind them of their "capable use" of firearms.
    January 1990, an armed gang attempted to rob the bank in Emily Square, Athy, the Gardaí had armed personnel from the Emergency Response Unit in place. Inside the bank staff and customers were held hostage; outside, the bank was surrounded.
    The shoot-out that followed resulted in the death of one gang member, and several serious injuries. It was subsequently revealed that the gang had not fired any of their weapons.

On that day they didnt even push back the people off the square, a good size crowd gathered as people will do to look at what was going on and they were left standing not 20 yards from the bank entrance. One shot rang out and there was a free for all by the boys in blue. From what I can see the training hasnt improved a whole lot in the use of firearms since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Been plenty more since Athy...:rolleyes::rolleyes: Even a death by" friendly fire" a few years back.And they are worried that our guns fall into the "wrong hands"????

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Been plenty more since Athy...:rolleyes::rolleyes: Even a death by" friendly fire" a few years back.And they are worried that our guns fall into the "wrong hands"????

yup but that one was closest to home and i still chuckle quietly to myself everytime i walk past the bank and see the bullet holes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

happyjack wrote: »
    he said if you were beating your missus at 3 am once a week they'd be mad about you cause

They don't give a flying **** about domestics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Kimber

johngalway wrote: »
    They don't give a flying **** about domestics.

Never a truer word said:
    Nor you
    Your sport
    The cost
    Your club
    Your worry

In return 200,000 odd firearms users may not pass on a bit of information that they would normally do.

Advertisement