Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your broadband in Trim

Options
  • 02-12-2009 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how is the quality / how happy are you with your broadband in Trim. I know its a broadband topic but it's Meath / Trim specific so I think the Meath forum is the best place to ask (hope so anyway).

Eircom have just stopped doing the bundle that I was on and i'm looking around now for a new deal.

I currently have 3MB eircom broadband. In fairness to it (and i know that many people will complain about eircom), I've had no problem with it / it mostly been very good. My issue (of why i am looking at the market) is more to do with their dropping of the package that i'm on and i'm seeking value.

So if you are on broadband in Trim - which provider do you use and are they any good?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Am moving there on Friday all going well :). I've ordered Vodafone 7Mb package which is decent value imo, especially if you have a bill pay mobile from them (gets you a discount).

Will let you know how I get on.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I'm with Eircom now for nearly a year - 7mb package. Now I don't know if it's my PC (which is on it's last legs) or the service, but it can be wicked slow at times.
    In the past few months there were a few occasions where it was off completely for hours on end so that's not good. The contention ratio is supposed to be 24 but sometimes I wonder!

The main gripe I would have with them with the cock up they made of my order when I was switching to them. I won't go into the gory details other than they overcharged and it was nigh on impossible to get a refund from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Im using the 3g prepay. Not the greatest out there but does the job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I've had BT 7Mb for a good while hand have found it very good overall with the occasional blip. BT have been bought by Vodafone and judging by the BB forum things don't look good, May go back to UTV if the move starts causing problems. I'm due to be switched in early January.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm with Eircom now for nearly a year - 7mb package. Now I don't know if it's my PC (which is on it's last legs) or the service, but it can be wicked slow at times.
    In the past few months there were a few occasions where it was off completely for hours on end so that's not good. The contention ratio is supposed to be 24 but sometimes I wonder!

The main gripe I would have with them with the cock up they made of my order when I was switching to them. I won't go into the gory details other than they overcharged and it was nigh on impossible to get a refund from them.

I've had the same problem as you. It's Eircom's servers which are useless which cause slow speeds and sometimes you get a DNS error which is a problem with Eircom and not your computer.

Completely off topic but you can change your DNS settings if you go to www.opendns.com

Works like a charm. I've been using it for a few months now and it's never let me down once.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Got the landline broadband setup this evening. So far so good, aside from an annoying problem that emails to Hotmail addresses from Vodafone mail servers don't seem to go through. :(

Speedwise it seems ok, between 5 and 6Mbps from the 7Mbps package which is ok in the evening (peak) time I guess.

I work from home quite a bit so I'll be able to give you better feedback in a few days.

Advertisement