Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google analytics?

• 02-12-2009 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

What is stopping a competitor of a website, setting up a google anyalitics account and tracking and recording the web stats of their competitors website?...they would have many confidential figures such as page views ect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

As far as I know you need to be able to copy and paste in some code to the site, the competitor would have to put the code into the target company's site somehow... I would imagine that would be quite hard to do... not impossible though... with a bit of kidnapping etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

You need to put some javascript on the site for it to work.

For competitor stats try a site like compete.com

bluemoo wrote: »
    What is stopping a competitor of a website, setting up a google anyalitics account and tracking and recording the web stats of their competitors website?...they would have many confidential figures such as page views ect?

http://www.google.com/analytics/

I suggest you go and learn what Google Analytics is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wonky Knees

the code is stopping them. But there are other online services that can tell you about traffic to competitors websites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

There are services which estimate competitors traffic. But none in which you would have full confidence in.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

So obviously you can't steal analytics info unless your a great hacker, but even if you had some of the info - It really won't help you that much, knowing how the competition are doing, doesn't mean that you can profit from that knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

The way I look at it page views, vists etc. is worth shag all if you arent converting them into to sales. The most important figure in my opinion is bounce rate as a high bounce rate means that there must be a reason why people are leaving your site.
    Even if competitors can hack your google analytics (which they cant), the figures arent much good to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jsjbingxi

I really don't kown, but i think that it is just need you to register a google account, In addition, if you want to google analytical tools saw the information on a Web site, you must verify that you are a webmaster of this point can only be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Entreprenr Show

If you wanted to find out how 'popular' your competitor is you can take out a Google Adwords ad and bid on their brand name.

Chances are that approx 50-70% of their business comes from people typing in their brand name into Google. When you bid on their brand, Adwords will tell you how many impressions were made. This tells you how many times people have searched for your competitors' brand name.

This is by no means an exact science but it can give you insights..

If you wanted to find out how 'popular' your competitor is you can take out a Google Adwords ad and bid on their brand name.

Chances are that approx 50-70% of their business comes from people typing in their brand name into Google. When you bid on their brand, Adwords will tell you how many impressions were made. This tells you how many times people have searched for your competitors' brand name.

This is by no means an exact science but it can give you insights..

You can do this for free using this tool and you'll get a deeper understanding of the competitive nature.

Not sure where you got your statistics from, but there's no way a single keyword would account for as much as 50% of any ones traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Entreprenr Show

You can do this for free using this tool and you'll get a deeper understanding of the competitive nature.

Not sure where you got your statistics from, but there's no way a single keyword would account for as much as 50% of any ones traffic.

The Adwords tool shows you estimated KW data. It only shows really really reputable and high volume brand term searches. It isn't going to give you an estimate of how many people search for XYZ Industries each month if XYZ Industries is a local business.

The 50% figure comes from years of Analytics work. One of our clients, who receives more than 1.5 million page views a month, gets approx 60% of their traffic from their brand name alone + direct traffic. The net organic then accounts for the remainder. This 50-70% figure is also ringing true for smaller sites we manage. But it depends entirely on the site in question.

But that's beside the point. I'd recommend Adwords for getting insights into your competitors, OP. Adwords isn't just an advertising medium! http://www.redflymarketing.com/blog/how-to-use-adwords-for-seo/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I have been in touch with a website developer to get a website developed, we got to talking about SEO and I said that I wanted to eventually be able to do the SEO and the PPC myself. I'm not capable of doing this atm. but with training I'd give it a go.

He told me that he would sort the SEO out so that it happened automatically and I wouldn't have to touch it as it would mess it up.

Surely this cant be right, surely I'd need to tweek the SEO until it works.

No money has changed hands yet as I'm not sure if I want to use this guy.

Thanks.

I'd say what he meant was that he'll set up your Meta descriptions, Seo URLS, maybe a few plug-ins on your site to get you started. SEO is an ongoing process and can never be fully "sorted" for you as Google algorithms change all the time.

Generally SEO is such a different field from web design that people tend to be an expert in one or the other. There are a few expections to this but not every web designer understands SEO.

It is something you really need to do yourself, but you can always get help and advice from the pros.

Advertisement