Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glover Highlander Walk

Options
  • 02-12-2009 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Thinking of giving this a shot next year and just wondering if anyone has done it and if so, how yough they found it?

It looks a pretty tough challenge - I'm a reasonably fit walker and jog regularly but not sure if might be beyond my scope!

Loads of great information here:
    http://www.simonstewart.ie/Glover/glover.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Remember it isn't an organised walk any more, but nothing stopping you doing it on your own. The club I'm in go and do it once a year - the first time you do it you probably should get someone to show you the best route. E.g. In the drop down to Lough Altan from Aghla More, a route down the spine of the mountain is far better than a direct bearing.

I think it's one of the finest challenge walks in Ireland. A tough challenge (short but lots of climbing, 2500metres) but the scenery is great and it finishes on a high on Errigal.

You would need to be confident in your fitness. I'm no athlete but in the weeks/months leading up to it I make sure to get in a 20k walk, perhaps 1000 metres height once a week. If you can do that you'll be able to finish it.

Here's a video of the route
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSlh96kBoqc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

hmmm wrote: »
    Remember it isn't an organised walk any more, but nothing stopping you doing it on your own. The club I'm in go and do it once a year - the first time you do it you probably should get someone to show you the best route. E.g. In the drop down to Lough Altan from Aghla More, a route down the spine of the mountain is far better than a direct bearing.

I think it's one of the finest challenge walks in Ireland. A tough challenge (short but lots of climbing, 2500metres) but the scenery is great and it finishes on a high on Errigal.

You would need to be confident in your fitness. I'm no athlete but in the weeks/months leading up to it I make sure to get in a 20k walk, perhaps 1000 metres height once a week. If you can do that you'll be able to finish it.

Here's a video of the route
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSlh96kBoqc

I thought I saw somewhere that it was organised for 2010 - maybe not!!

Really looks a fantastic walk and it's an area that I absolutely love.

I'll struggle to get that sort of a walk in each week due to family commitments so will have to have a think about fitness (currently jog several times a week)..

Thanks for the info.

Advertisement