Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When does xmas start for you?

• 02-12-2009 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

around december 8th for me? cannot wait lol. i just love the weeks leading up to christmas, the days after are anti climax.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Yesterday for me, once it hits December I'm happy to start celebrating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I'm not anti-Christmas or anything, in fact I love it, but I never really feel in the mood until Christmas Eve! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭CallMeMiss

When the RTE Christmas guide comes out..... or when I see the "holidays are coming" add on tv......

I LOVE Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Yesterday for me, usually when we put up the tree. Normally a week or two before, but because we dragged the old artificial tree out we put it up early this year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

When the tree goes up. Or, rather, when the first present is put under the tree.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Christmas eve, at 5pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

how? its ****in over by that stage. the build up is beast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

how? its ****in over by that stage. the build up is beast

:eek:

Tone down the language please, there really is no need for it.

Look.
    VVVV

How? It's over by that stage.

See, much nicer to read.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

CallMeMiss wrote: »
    When the RTE Christmas guide comes out..... or when I see the "holidays are coming" add on tv......!

+1. The Coke Lorry ad coming on TV makes me feel really Christmassy.
    Also, when I hear "Fairytale of New York" being played for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lockie83

+1. The Coke Lorry ad coming on TV makes me feel really Christmassy.
    Also, when I hear "Fairytale of New York" being played for the first time.

Normally I'd agree, but this year I've heard "Fairytale of New York" on the radio at the last week of October and saw the Coke ad like in the 2nd week of November, both a tad bit too early IMO.

Not really feeling it this year, but I'd say it'll kick off for me on the 18th of December when I get my Christmas holidays!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Round da 8th or 10th as I put up the christmas tree, good christmas songs are then on everywhere and everyone just seems to be in such a happy mood leading up to christmas love it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Usually around the 8th for me as well. Love seeing the lights on Grafton street and the general buzz.

• Moderators Posts: 51,881 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

usually around 23rd, as thats when I generally get back to the family home.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

23rd at the earliest for me, I hate having my birthday sucked into the holly-bedecked tinsel maelstrom of our midwinter consumption-fest. Humbug!

I'll settle for no decorations til the 8th, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

When the xmas lights are on everywhere!! I love it, it's really exciting. And also when we start buying the selection boxes...not that they ever last too long.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

My girlfriend's birthday is December 4th (yeah, as in tomorrow!), so Christmas for me starts on December 5th, when the "damn, what am I going to get her for her birthday!?" panic subsides, and the "damn, what am I going to get her for Christmas!?" one begins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭brainy_neuron

Officially christmas in our house is the 8th December to the 6th January. The weekend around the eighth (this wkend this year!) we all head home and the tree and decorations go up and the cake and pudding get made by the mother (with a stir of the cake mix and wish for each person). Have been getting into the xmas mood though the last few days since the 1st of December rolled around. I walked into work on Tues and they were playing xmas songs (every second song so its ok, won't get sick of them that way!). :D

I love xmas but think that some shops (Penny's and Dunnes in particular) bring out the decorations and xmas stuff waay to early! I was in penny's at the end of sept and they were selling wrapping paper! Dunnes had their xmas music on from the 1st Nov-i think thats rediculous! :eek:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Usually it's when that budweiser ad with the horses and the singing choir comes on, but this year it was with the birth of this forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Most years it'd be around the 8th but 6th year Christmas exams ruined it last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Usually when the Christmas lights are put up around town and turned on, I happened to catch the official turn on in Cork last week by pure chance.

I don't get off college till the 23rd this year so I'll probably be wearing a Christmas hat to college that week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Around the middle of December when I visit the in-laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

When the tree goes up. Or, rather, when the first present is put under the tree.

Same here, though there is no set date for when the tree goes up, it tends to fluctuate from year to year. :pac:

Also, when the exams are over. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SenSatiON

It's definitely not christmas for me until the 8th... we used to have the day off school so we went christmas shopping for presents!! The excitement begins then for me, the build up in the weeks before christmas is the best!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Dec 21 when i fly home and sit on the couch next the Christmas tree and my Mum starts giving out to me for not taking off my shoes...then i know its really Christmas.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Normally when the Late Late Toy show is on. That usually marks the 1st day of xmas for me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Mid December probably. Around the time the decorations go up, the radios is packed with xmas songs and the films are getting xmassy on TV. I agree with the OP. The build up to it in December is the best. The 26th to the 1st is second best and its just January blues from then on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

For me Christmas starts right after Hallowe'en, November 1st. That said, the tree in our house normally only goes up as late as the third week in November :(

If I had my way it would go up on November 1st. I love Christmas, the build-up, the meeting friends and family, the Christmas songs, films, TV, turkey dinner, brussels sprouts, christmas pudding, minced pies, mulled wine, sherry, scotch and beer :)

What I do hate is seeing Christmas adverts BEFORE Hallowe'en. Anytime after that is fine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

This is sorta embarrassing, but it really starts to feel like Christmas when the Sky+ menu music changes to Christmassy dross rather than the normal dross. Ahhhh. :D:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

corblimey wrote: »
    This is sorta embarrassing, but it really starts to feel like Christmas when the Sky+ menu music changes to Christmassy dross rather than the normal dross. Ahhhh. :D:o
    This is definitely my favourite answer so far. Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

it's gotta be when my whole family is in the house again, which gets later and later every year so this year itl be around the 21st! then we can fight over decorations (which probably wont go up until the 23rd/24th) and the right recipe for the christmas cakes and generally laze around watching mindless t.v

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mr.equinox

When the coca cola christmas add comes on tv! you know, the one with the santa lorry and the christmas music that goes "holidays are comming" :D

THE COKE LORRY PICTURE ----> http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_A_gdTRdQXx0/STBui2JbiVI/AAAAAAAABJs/M5nw3mctI_A/s400/Holidays%2520are%2520coming.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

Christmas in my house is not allowed start til the 15th of decemebr at the very earliest..... my birthday is the 14th!! So we usually put the tree up the weekend after but i think its going up a little early this year since the 14th is a monday so it would leave putting the xmas tree up very late this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

I can honestly say the first tinsel feeling shiver goes down my spine when I hear the first bell of the Guinness Christmas Ad, whether its on the radio or TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Three things that have to happen for me before I realise that it is Christmas.

1- I have to hear The Fairytale Of New York (done)
    2- I have to see that Coca-Cola "Holiday's are coming" ad (done)
    3- I have to see that Corn Flakes ad. You all know the one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

For me it's when I finish up with work. I don't have to go in between christmas eve and 2nd January so it's my longest holiday of the year.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,177 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Christmas eve around 4pm. And it last's for 2 days till I'm back to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

That_Guy wrote: »
    Three things that have to happen for me before I realise that it is Christmas.

1- I have to hear The Fairytale Of New York (done)
    2- I have to see that Coca-Cola "Holiday's are coming" ad (done)
    3- I have to see that Corn Flakes ad. You all know the one.

Totally agree

Shush ... Ho Ho Ho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭katana1

Starts around the 8th december in our house.
    We have a tree in the kitchen another in sitting room one outside the frony door and decorations everywhere.
    I love when friends call because their kids are in awe --we have been collecting decoraions since 1990.
    I know its a bit sad but we love it:)

Advertisement