Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

netgear xav101 home plug. How many do you need?

• 02-12-2009 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

I bought the netgear powerline av ethernet adapter plug i want to use it so i can be on the PC and my son can be on his laptop. I have clearwire internet and from what i can see i need to connect one of the plugs to my clearwire box and the other plug to my computer to use it does this mean i will need a third plug to be able to use the laptop as well??? or can the ethernet wire be split like a normal phone wire??

thanks for you time

danois

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Can you not use wireless on the laptop? You can use a cheap hub or switch to 'split' the connection but wireless would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

I have clearwire internet and the man at clearwire told me that there are no wireless routers that work with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

You can connect one homeplug to your router and connect the other homeplug to a switch. Then you can connect both comp and laptop to the switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

danois wrote: »
    I have clearwire internet and the man at clearwire told me that there are no wireless routers that work with it
    Oh really? The man at clearwire is a fool wrong - for example from their own site: http://www.clearwire.ie/?section=42

And you don't even have to use that one. If it uses an ethernet cable you can connect the clearwire router to any wireless router.

thanks for that a pity i didnt ask you guys before i spent £99.99 on the plugs!!!!! ah well off to look for a cheap router i dont suppose i could use an old eircom router could i??

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    You can connect one homeplug to your router and connect the other homeplug to a switch. Then you can connect both comp and laptop to the switch.

Sorry if its a silly question but what do you mean by a switch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Sorry if its a silly question but what do you mean by a switch?

Something like this.

Thanks for that i might look into a switch could i use the netopia router you get with eircom or is that only good if you have eircom internet??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,224 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What is it with all the netgear talk lately? Linksys. Linksys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Overheal wrote: »
    What is it with all the netgear talk lately? Linksys. Linksys.

Then throw the ddwrt firmware on it :D

• Advertisement

Anti wrote: »
    Then throw the ddwrt firmware on it :D
    Good ol' Worty.

Grr cant get the stupid thing to work at all what are the chances of currys in the south taking it back when it was bought up north..

Grr cant get the stupid thing to work at all what are the chances of currys in the south taking it back when it was bought up north..
    Its not linking your PC to the Modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

could i use the netopia router you get with eircom or is that only good if you have eircom internet??

Which model Netopia?

This Clearwire page says you can plug a switch or a router into their modem (meaning it has a router built-in) so you should be able to hook it up to one of the LAN ports of a Netopia and use the Netopia as a fancy switch (and wireless AP if it's a wireless model). Before you hook it up, log in to the Netopia and disable it's DHCP server.

I am trying to connect the laptop and the pc to the clearwire and not managing the netgear i have is not a wireless router its the home adapter plugs they are meant to use your electricity wires in the house but dont seem to work

Advertisement