Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GOP Nominee for 2012, the list gets shorter

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

jank wrote: »
    So does this open the door for the now firm favorite Mitt Romney to take the nomination. Questions remain though is he likable enough and is he the far right neo-Reagan for the GOP to unite behind.

Thoughts?
    "On April 12, 2006, [Governor] Romney signed the Massachusetts health reform law which requires nearly all Massachusetts residents to buy health insurance coverage or face the loss of their personal income tax exemption." Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitt_Romney

This Massachusetts piece of legislation signed into law when Romney was governor in some ways sounds a lot like the criticisms of the Obama administration's health reform initiatives, claiming that citizens will be forced to pay for health insurance or suffer consequences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

But does it ever really work like that?
    Seems more like once you run for President and loose, you're damaged goods thereafter.
    I'll wager it's someone new that we haven't heard too much about that gets the nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

RedPlanet wrote: »
    Seems more like once you run for President and loose, you're damaged goods thereafter.

Not really no. McCain would be in the big chair now if not for a few circumstantial political events (and one Wasilla woman), and he ran against the Bush Baby in 2000.

tbh he's a perfect example.
    He's run for president a few times, never won once.

Came real close though. Real ****ing close. So no, I dont buy into your supposition.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

He would have won in 2000 if it weren't for some back handed tactics from rove his ilk with that infamous poll. I would have taken McCain over Bush any day. I actually quite like him but last year he was just too old, a symptom of the country on its knees. The country was crying out for something new and Obama gave them that in spades. His chance was 2000 not 2008

In some ways redplanet has a point. Mitt Romney spend $hitloads of money in the last election, more than anyone else combined afaik and he still flunked in the polls. He just didnt catch on. Maybe he will learn from his mistakes this time around but who could be the dark horse, there seems to be a dearth of talent in the GOP nevermind that the vocal right wing of the party seems to be dictating policy now. It is all well and good about getting excitied about Beck or Palin but these guys will never win a national election, they are just too extreme. Much like Howard Dean, great with the base but with the moderates they made them uneasy. It will be Obama's to lose imo but anyone I think of from the GOP they just dont cut it. Having Mitt Romney as a favourite for the nomination says it all about about the crux the GOP are in.

Any new blood coming in PJ? How about yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

jank wrote: »
    Any new blood coming in PJ? How about yourself.
    I don’t think another like McCain will be picked for 2012. He was about as close to a moderate/dem as the GOP could muster, and it didn't matter. We need a true conservative next time IMO. So other than Mitt Romney, watch out for Tim Pawlenty, John Thune, Haley Barbour, Bobby Jindal, and maybe even Newt Gingrich. Right now there is no real leader in the GOP and I don’t think we will see one until after the results of the 2010 election. As for me… I'll never run for public office... not worth the headaches. Honestly, I’ll be happy to just be around in 2012.

I think it mattered that he was as moderate as he was. His problem was his choice of Running Mate, which I am entirely convinced was a poorly calculated last moment GOP gamble to win over bruised Hillary Supporters. Poorly calculated.

It would be nice if he ran again and chose someone like Romney for a running mate but tbh I cant imagine he will have the energy for it. He's not the youngest of dogs and the sunniest of days and the 2 year Clusterf@#k that was the 07/08 Election would be enough to kill any Normal human being. Much less a 70++ State Senator.

Overheal wrote: »
    Came real close though. Real ****ing close. So no, I dont buy into your supposition.

Close doesn't count in a Presidential election, ask Al Gore.
    The reasons why they lost are entirely subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Sarah Palin will be the Republican nominee, if she chooses to run of course. However, she does not have a hope in hell of winning the presidency.

• Advertisement

My hopes are Dick Cheney runs in 2012. He would be right for America after we experience four years of the current administrations current path to economic destruction and todays version of Welcome Back Carter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    My hopes are Dick Cheney runs in 2012.
    He better walk, rather than "run," given his physical condition and prior hospitalisations while VP?
    RedPlanet wrote: »
    Two words: Richard Nixon. He ran when VP for president against JFK and lost. After JFK was assassinated and LBJ took his turn, Nixon took the Republican primary and national election for a term and a half, being convinced to resign in his 2nd term due to Watergate.
    kev9100 wrote: »
    Sarah Palin will be the Republican nominee, if she chooses to run of course.
    Blue dusts off her crystal globe and LOOKS .... Palin will run as a candidate in the 2012 primaries, but will not be selected by the Republicans to run against Obama in the general election.

If Palin was smart (and that's a BIG IF), she would run for US Congress in 2012, either the House or Senate, if she can get the Alaska backing. Then if she won her seat, wait to run for president in 2016 when Obama is a lame duck and the White House is up for grabs.
    Not really no. McCain would be in the big chair now if not for a few circumstantial political events (and one Wasilla woman), and he ran against the Bush Baby in 2000.
    Agree that Palin was a poor choice, and McCain's timing was indeed bad, given the "few circumstantial political events;" i.e., the greatest recession since the Great Depression, two seemingly endless wars, and a historic federal deficit. The old Pol Cat saying normally predicts an election "It's the economy stupid!" and the Republicans had been in power for the 8 years before the Great Recession of 2008-2009.

My hopes are Dick Cheney runs in 2012. He would be right for America after we experience four years of the current administrations current path to economic destruction and todays version of Welcome Back Carter.
    Well I doubt he'll run. And if he did, he wouldn't stand a snowballs chance in hell.

Well I doubt he'll run. And if he did, he wouldn't stand a snowballs chance in hell.

It's snowing in Houston, TX right now... does that count towards anything? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

My hopes are Dick Cheney runs in 2012. after we experience four years of the current administrations current path to economic destruction and todays version of Welcome Back Carter.
    Lets not forget who was second in command leading up to this recession :rolleyes:
    I don't remotely think its possible that Cheney would run, he would be 71 in 2012 and with a long history of health problems (4 heart attacks among other things) as well as being vice president of what in the end was a very very unpopular administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

If Palin was smart (and that's a BIG IF)

IMHO theres no if. She`s not.

:D

Lets not forget who was second in command leading up to this recession :rolleyes:
    I don't remotely think its possible that Cheney would run, he would be 71 in 2012 and with a long history of health problems (4 heart attacks among other things) as well as being vice president of what in the end was a very very unpopular administration.
    I think his biggest problem is that nobody can point to the guy and say what Good he has done for the country if Any. But every Joe and Mary can point at the man and relate him to an evil villain, with his greasy rubbing hands, the perpetual operations on his cold black heart, censoring his home in Google, Enron, etc.

Yet Dick Cheney’s popularity continues to rise with the American people, while Obama’s falls. I guess sometimes good guys do wear black.

No Dick Cheney is becoming popular because his asscheeks are beginning to relax and we're finally figuring out wth he was up to for 8 years. It has nothing to do with liking the guy.

Yet Dick Cheney’s popularity continues to rise with the American people, while Obama’s falls. I guess sometimes good guys do wear black.

Show me proof that his popularity continues to rise?
    Apart from a few good hunting jokes there has been very little of him mentioned.

The fact is though after the polls published near the end of the Bush administration you could really only go up, plenty of them here if you are interested.
    30% approval 60% disapproval in January of this year.

As far as Obama's approval rating going down goes, his honeymoon period is over but it is in no way near the depths Dick Cheney reached during the Bush administration and is still quite favorable.

• Advertisement

Show me proof that his popularity continues to rise?
    Apart from a few good hunting jokes there has been very little of him mentioned.

Geeeee…. You say that like providing the information you seek would actually make a difference in your opinion of Cheney. ;)
    Oh well it doesn’t really matter I guess, here is my exercise in futility for you:
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/05/dick-cheney-george-w-bush-poll.html
    http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/21/cheney.poll/

Hey, President Obama is in town today and is visiting one of my Alma Maters. As he walks in my footsteps, I would suggest he actually attend a class on free-market economics.

Air Force One buzzed my house before landing causing all our chotchkies to shake, rattle and roll… Maybe he reads my posts here. :)

Geeeee…. You say that like providing the information you seek would actually make a difference in your opinion of Cheney. ;)
    Oh well it doesn’t really matter I guess, here is my exercise in futility for you:
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/05/dick-cheney-george-w-bush-poll.html

They are two good links you have provided and adequately prove your point that he has raised in popularity since leaving office but I still counter that after the end of the Bush administration the only way you could go is up. And 37% favorable to 55% unfavorable is no where near a rating that you could even think about running for office.

Don't get me wrong, I did hate the Bush administration but I'm not someone who would dislike someone just because they were Republican. I would consider myself someone who is kind of in the middle and dislike the extremes of both sides. I think Cheney is a likeable politician but even in 2012 with the Bush administration 4 years in the past it is still going to leave a very bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. This aswell as his age/health problems/hunting follys will rule him out in my opinion.

They are two good links you have provided and adequately prove your point that he has raised in popularity since leaving office but I still counter that after the end of the Bush administration the only way you could go is up. And 37% favorable to 55% unfavorable is no where near a rating that you could even think about running for office.

Don't get me wrong, I did hate the Bush administration but I'm not someone who would dislike someone just because they were Republican. I would consider myself someone who is kind of in the middle and dislike the extremes of both sides. I think Cheney is a likeable politician but even in 2012 with the Bush administration 4 years in the past it is still going to leave a very bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. This aswell as his age/health problems/hunting follys will rule him out in my opinion.

Fair enough, apologies on my part for lumping you into those whom request sources from me... which if the source were God himself wouldn’t sway their opinion if the individual was associated with the Bush administration or the person’s last name was Palin.

Hey, President Obama is in town today and is visiting one of my Alma Maters. As he walks in my footsteps, I would suggest he actually attend a class on free-market economics.

Air Force One buzzed my house before landing causing all our chotchkies to shake, rattle and roll… Maybe he reads my posts here. :)
    "Is Cheney's uptick due to his visibility as one of the most outspoken critics of the Obama administration? Almost certainly not," says Keating Holland, CNN polling director.
    "Former President George W. Bush's favorable rating rose 6 points in that same time period, and Bush has not given a single public speech since he left office."

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Cheney for 2012? God I hope not, he did enough damage during the last 8 years. His continuous sniping attacks from the sidelines smacks of bitterness and inferiority complex.

Sniping and shooting old men in the back.

"Is Cheney's uptick due to his visibility as one of the most outspoken critics of the Obama administration? Almost certainly not," says Keating Holland, CNN polling director.
    "Former President George W. Bush's favorable rating rose 6 points in that same time period, and Bush has not given a single public speech since he left office."
    Good point! Polling is a form of survey research, and the methodological literature suggests that at any given moment in time (cross-sectional survey like this one, rather than longitudinal over-time), there will be random variation that may account for some of the differences? Plus, GW Bush's increase with little exposure acted as a quasi-control group, suggesting that the poll increase may be due to something not explained by Cheney's visibility or opposition to Obama/Democrats, as opposed to the relative lack of visibility of GW Bush? It will be interesting to see if future polls over time (longitudinal) will continue to register an increase of favourability for Bush-Cheney, stay the same, or decrease?

**Geeeeeeez, I have to cut back on the coffee!**:eek:

In fairness if you polled the question, you probably could have seen favor for FDR jump about 20 points last november - and he's been dead for over 50 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Romney is part of a formerly racist organisation, for one.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Advertisement