Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begg on Vincent Browne right now

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TCP/IP_King

philboy wrote: »
    Why don't you hand in your notice then & leave if your not happy with the workload, conditions & pay?

It's the cross border shopping opportunities keeps him/her there !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Before you turn your IBEC invective on me, I'm private sector, self employed in Irelands "economy" (God help her).

I regularly meet with eight long term friends, two of whom are in public sector jobs. These are the only ones of the circle who have had a paycut.

The two financial guys are still looking good for the Christmas bonus. the builder has retired and lives off the rent, myself and the others are hanging on by one finger to the only government contract with any money left.

So out of eight, 75% of my circle have not taken an (enforced) paycut.

Use your vote wisely next time.

Well I'm self employed also, like yourself I've close friends, mine are also self employed, every one of them have let everyone go except those that are absolutely essential to operations and those kept on are working 12 hour days minimum. I'm talking about businesses that employed 10-20 people 18 months ago, now employing 2-5 staff.

Now my mates don't want to do this, but they have no choice, the banks have cut their overdrafts and they guys just can't keep these people in jobs. These businesses were not overstaffed in the boom, people worked hard all the time, but between business revenue going off a cliff, debtors going bust and landing them with bad debts, and the banks cutting credit facilities, they are all, without exception, doubtful as to whether they will make it through next year....

It's like a perfect storm for these guys, bad debts, huge fall offs in revenue and Rottweiler banks, I know these guys probably will not get through next year, some are hugely exposed to debtors going under and the bad debts that have knocked the absolute crap out of their businesses, they have to offer credit to get the business, if they lose a customer and take a hit on a bad debt, they might get up and dust themselves off and get the business replaced by a new customer who also goes bust or is on the thin ice and you are just digging yourself into a deeper hole, what should you do then???

Honestly, the people who are refusing to take pay cuts in the public sector need to wake up and start smelling the coffee...

To be honest, we need these people to do one thing for us and that is protest against this government until it is gone. A huge part of the problem here is that the national confidence has been completely and utterly zapped. There is no leadership, I'd protest with a public sector worker if the objective was to get rid of this government. I still think we need pay cuts at the higher level, but we also need to protect the lower paid PS worker. What is needed here is surgery, not a bowl of acid thrown in the face of the whole public sector body...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

dresden8 wrote: »
    Yes apart from the fact that all the public sector have taken a paycut while all the private sector haven't.

For the benefit of everybody else, yes Private Sector Wages are being cut:
    http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1018498.shtml

Why are people who bemoan Indo headlines on the PS, relying so much on the Indo headlines on the private sector?

STOP the benchmarking idiocy.

Either get a full acoss the board pay cut or agree on redundancies if you want to compare like with like.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

philboy wrote: »
    Why don't you hand in your notice then & leave if your not happy with the workload, conditions & pay?

I will gladly take (dresden8) job and he can swap with me. Public sector workers complain that they are taking pay cuts, but were does that money come from in the first place, that's right, from the taxpayers. We can't afford to pay the public sector at current pay levels, if you don't like it leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Morale is through the floor.

We're up to our tits in work and we're sick of being the scapegoats for the banks and FF.

We're fncking pissed off we've take a paycut while banks have gotten a payrise.

We're pissed off that FF is claiming the civil service is overstaffed and paid too much while ministers bring in their constituency hangers on to photo-copy at relatively senior levels while slagging the rest of us off.

We're pissed off that the unions are being taken for saps by FF and making us all look thick as fnck.

Apart from that everything is rosy, especially the shopping in Newry, and more especially since we have the monopoly on it. (Allegedly)

Thanks for asking.

Anyway back to the original question

"And that was a party political broadcast from the job for lifers party" - typical attitude of the public service, no wonder your not winning any friends during these testing times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Darragh29 wrote: »
    To say that 70% of the workforce have not had to take a pay cut when 423,000 of people who used to be part of that workforce until they recently lost their jobs, is an absolute outrage.

If you take the number of people who have taken pay cuts, who are on short working weeks AND those who have lost their jobs, you'll get your 70% or close enough to it.

Unfortunately those in the public sector are living in a parallel universe so there is no point in me saying how hard those in the private sector have it....

another fact that is rarely mentioned is that a significant percentage of the private sector work for minimum wage , it is illegal for theese workers to have wage cuts imposed on them

Yes apart from the fact that all the public sector have taken a paycut while all the private sector haven't.

so you wish to see those on minimum wage face pay cuts then , for the purpose of universality in the workforce regarding pay cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

irish_bob wrote: »
    so you wish to see those on minimum wage face pay cuts then , for the purpose of universality in the workforce regarding pay cuts

ps , bad luck on the permanent ban , harsh

IMO they deserved the ban, pure ignorance on their part and a total unacceptance of other peoples point of views.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

irish_bob wrote: »

ps , bad luck on the permanent ban , harsh

This "70% haven't taken a pay cut" is becoming the Private Sector equivalent of "they are all on 60k".

The "all of us have taken a cut, not all the Private Sector" is just a way of diverting attention away from the PS, because the alternative is redundancies, which is a non runner.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

I don't believe you.

Numbers and sources please.

dresden, now you're just being willfully facetious.
    Many people, (and very, very few of them from public sector) are now unemployed and thus taking a 100% pay cut and all of that nonsense about 70% of the private sector not taking a cut just deliberately obfuscates a simple truth. It doesn't matter how many people in the private sector took a pay cut (or got a pay raise for that matter) because such things are implemented on the basis of your employers financial health.

Face it, if you work in the public sector, you're employer is broke, out the back door and over the fence, whistling for pennies. In such circumstances corrective action has to be taken, and screwing private sector workers to the wall for a bail out is not the corrective action necessary, it's addressing the long term structural problems with the way the public sector spends and functions.
    In private sector terms, it's time for some cost cutting and re-structuring, because if my employer was in the state yours is, I guarantee you that redundancies and lay offs would be on the cards and nobody in the rest of the private sector (nor the public) would be expected to bail out my financially irresponsible employer or suggest that we all collectively pay more into a social fund so that I can keep my job or current salary level.

It's time to get real. You were happy to be benchmarked on the way up, you should do the same on the way down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I don't believe you.

Numbers and sources please.
    Where did all the tax revenue (20bn+ a year missing) go to if the private sector is not in a state of collapse?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

We're up to our tits in work and we're sick of being the scapegoats for the banks and FF.

We're pissed off that FF is claiming the civil service is overstaffed and paid too much while ministers bring in their constituency hangers on to photo-copy at relatively senior levels while slagging the rest of us off.

We're pissed off that the unions are being taken for saps by FF and making us all look thick as fnck.

Apart from that everything is rosy, especially the shopping in Newry, and more especially since we have the monopoly on it. (Allegedly)

Thanks for asking.

Why didn't you get your unions to address all THESE issues then, instead of just looking for more and more money for you?

You claim that "not all private sector workers have taken a pay cut so why should all public sector workers take one?" but you conveniently overlook that during the boom when ALL public servants were getting payrises, NOT ALL private sector employees were ;)

Thanks for asking.

watched a report on the agri show EAR TO THE GROUND this evening about flooding in the shannon area , houses , business,s flooded , farm animals hungary and in some cases drowned , i thought they had it tough but having read the above post , it seems they are having a picnic compared to what the beleagured public sector are going through :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Mods

Can we close this thread. I think it has run its course.

As OP, I was just looking for comments on VB show last night but things have degenerated into the Public v's Private sector again.

Thanks

ps Can I get a PM as to why dresden8 got ban. His post looked inoffensive. Have I missed something? Obviously don't want to incur the same myself in the future. Thanks....

Advertisement