Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet corrector spray

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I used it a few years ago. Its good, its just to get the dogs attention away from something else, so a coke bottle or similar, filled with some stones, so that you can rattle it works just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

I got one a little while ago and it works great. 3 of us used to walk together with our dogs but the other girls dogs used to play too intensely so it was great to break that up just before it got taken too far. Now they see the red can and break it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

does it just make a sound - or are you supposed to spray the contents into the dogs face?

It works by a combination of sound and contents. The contents is only compressed air so nothing to harm the dog. Because it's compressed the air makes a sound when you press the button. They don't like the hiss of the air coming out or the feel of it. You only give them a short burst and normally only have to give it to them a couple of times for them to stop when they see the can!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Snakes, insects and birds such as geese, use their hiss sound to drive off predators, and our domesticated pets have an instinctive sensitivity to this sound.

The Pet Corrector emits a hiss which mimics this sound to interrupt undesirable behaviours such as jumping up or stealing

:D

Just hiss yourself
    (alternatively snap your fingers, clap your hands, whistle, whatever ...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Thanks for the replies. I've found a supplier in Ireland you can get it from.

K

While I wouldn't have any objections to the product itself (I can't see hissing compressed air doing any harm) I'd still classify it as a fairly useless gadget.

Why? Because you are introducing an unecessary third party into the interaction with your dog. (the third party being the can).
    You then need to have that can handy at all times (which you won't), you'll need to get it out of its holster in time to do the correction (no point in hissing when it's too late) and you need to pay money for it.

You can achieve the same result (interruption of unwanted behaviour) just as well yourself by clapping your hands or stamping your feet or a loud whistle ..sometimes even snapping your fingers can be enough.

Interrupting unwanted behaviour is not so much a question of what sound is used (or which can it comes out of) but timing.
    The earlier into the behaviour you can interrupt it, the easier it is stopped. (you can prevent your dog from running off while it is still thinking about it ..but you have very little chance of stopping it when it is in full flight, for example).

When you use a gadget like this spray, there will always be a delay (while you get it out of your pocket and press the button) that will allow the behaviour to develop further.

It is much easier to stop your dog in time by means which don't use gadgets ...you always have your voice/hands/feet with you and you don't need to go rummaging for them.

The key to the correction of unwanted behavior is to learn how to read your dog. Not having to wait until the behaviour has manifested itself, but knowing what's about to happen and nip it in the bud.

No spray can will help you develop that "reading" ability, if anything it will delay the learning process by focussing on the can instead of the dog.

clapping, stamping and whilstling are all very good but don't always work.

Our situation involved dogs playing nicely to one dog dragging the other dog around by the jaw in the blink of an eye. The dog in question was an english bull terrier and you could have clapped and whistled all you wanted and it wouldnt have made any difference cos she's so bull headed. And when you're trying to mix 3 people and a number of different dogs together without ending up in a "your dog did......" row and remain friends at the end of it often a product like this is the answer.

Of course 'reading' a dogs behaviour is ideal, but when you're mixing different people with different levels of experience and interest in reading dogs you can need a bit of help from products.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

OP why do you want it?
    Is it to stop aggressive dogs attacking?

peasant wrote: »
    You can achieve the same result (interruption of unwanted behaviour) just as well yourself by clapping your hands or stamping your feet or a loud whistle ..sometimes even snapping your fingers can be enough.

Doesn't work most of the time. I think he has selective deafness :)
    kildara wrote: »
    OP why do you want it?
    Is it to stop aggressive dogs attacking?

As above, most of the time he doesn't listen. Even if I do catch him before he starts the unwanted behavior. Behavior is usually he's chewing on something he shouldn't or trying to chew your feet off. Pays no attention to verbal reprimands unfortunately.

K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Is he food or toy motivated? My girl is hugely food motatived, she can be distracted from doing almost anything with something tasty!!

kkelly77 wrote: »
    most of the time he doesn't listen. Even if I do catch him before he starts the unwanted behavior.

In that case it seems like you have an underlying discipline problem.
    If he is still young, that will hopefully settle over time.

The spray may well help to drive the message home that no means no ...but do use it sparingly. You don't want to end up in a situation where he only listens when he sees the can around and ignores you completely when he doesn't :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happypuppy

I used it with my puppy when he was around 7 / 8 months to stop him barking at the toilet roll holder!!!! Instead of stopping him it made him more excited so i didn't find it any good. eventually sorted out problem by teaching him No!, took time and patience but was worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

happypuppy wrote: »
    I used it with my puppy when he was around 7 / 8 months to stop him barking at the toilet roll holder!!!! Instead of stopping him it made him more excited so i didn't find it any good. eventually sorted out problem by teaching him No!, took time and patience but was worth it

i'm going through the "NO!" technique at the moment with the 4 year old German Shepherd we got in august who's started lunging at Vans and some cars - if she's caught in time it does work

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happypuppy

like previous poster i found coins in a small money box great. used it when he was about 2 months old to stop him biting at bottom of trousers. just let it drop in your hand, as opposed to shaking it, and the sudden noise chances attention - add strong no at end and eventually the noise not needed any more. Only down side is when you don't have it close at hand!

peasant wrote: »
    In that case it seems like you have an underlying discipline problem.
    If he is still young, that will hopefully settle over time.

Hopefully not. He is only 12 weeks so still learning. Can be a right brat at times :rolleyes:
    happypuppy wrote: »
    like previous poster i found coins in a small money box great. used it when he was about 2 months old to stop him biting at bottom of trousers. just let it drop in your hand, as opposed to shaking it, and the sudden noise chances attention - add strong no at end and eventually the noise not needed any more. Only down side is when you don't have it close at hand!

You're right. Timing is everything! At the moment I'm throwing his dinner bowl on the floor, so that makes a huge noise and definitely gets his attention away from something he shouldn't be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What kind of things is he doing that you are trying to distract him from or doing?

Hes a rottie yeah? well most rotties i know are hugely food driven, so if you call him away and distract him with the food then that should help.

andreac wrote: »
    What kind of things is he doing that you are trying to distract him from or doing?

Hes a rottie yeah? well most rotties i know are hugely food driven, so if you call him away and distract him with the food then that should help.
    Hi Andreac He's a Rottie alright. He's chewing on all sorts, skirting boards, the sofa, feet, take your pick! My only concern with distracting with food is that he may see it as a reward for whatever bad behavior he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Has he got plenty of his own toys to keep him amused? they need a lot of toys and all different types of toys too so he doesnt get bored.

A kong filled with nice stuff too will keep him occupied. You can also get stuff to spray or rub on things you dont want them to chew and it should stop them as they dont like the taste. There is great stuff for horses called Crib Box/Halt and you out in on whatever you dont want them chewing and they hate the taste of it.

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Hopefully not. He is only 12 weeks so still learning. Can be a right brat at times :rolleyes:

12 weeks is the totally wrong age for sprays, rattles or whatever. These are sort of last resort remedies when your basic training has failed.

12 weeks is basic training age (and also teething age). Whenever he chews on something he's not allowed, tell him no, take the article away from the dog (or the dog away from the article) and give him something that he is allowed to chew. (solid hard rubber toy is best for teething pup).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Don't take this the wrong way but he sounds bored to me, Rotties can be willful at the best of times but a bored one is even worse, they need as much mental simulation as physical. I've had so many different breeds over the years but was absolutely astounded by this breed intelligence, took my 5 month old to training classes and after 3 repetitions of a command she had it nailed and would look at me as if to say 'what's next?' so I'm going to take her to advance obedience after Christmas. What I have noticed about Rotties though is that they just won't do something if they don't see a point to it that's why I suggested some food motivation. How is he being fed, is it just in his bowl or is it varied? I give one meal frozen in kongs, one in a plastic ball with a small hole in it which she has to chase around to get the kibble to fall out and one meal I keep for training so I will randomly give her commands during the day and feed her some kibble as a reward or use them to distract her from unwanted behaviour.

Advertisement