Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing ram?

Options
  • 03-12-2009 3:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

My old system is in need of some memory.
    I just want to get another 2gig stick of ddr2 800.
    Is it ok for me to just grab any 2gig stick of ddr2 or should they be of identical make/model.

I'm using a 2 gig stick of Crucial Ballistix 800.

PART DESC:
    2GB DDR2 - 800 CL4 Ballistix.

The RAM comes as 2.1v but it runs on the default 1.8v.

That particular type is quite expensive now.

Would this kingston value ram do the trick?

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2614523/art/kingston/2-gb-valueram-2-gb-ddr2-8.html

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

In theory all that definately has to match is the memory density (256MB, 512MB, etc.). Even the speed does not matter as it will run at the speed of the slowest module, and you should be able to find voltages and timings that suit both (Although this is also where problems might lie ahead). Ideally the specs should be a very close match if not identical.

In reality brand mixing is not recomended. I couldn't put a number on the chances of compatability or stability issues, suffice to say it is probably not insignifigant. But if you are not trying to squeeze the maximum performace out of them the chances of them working together are better.

EDIT: To get off the fence, if money was really tight and I needed the extra 2GB, I would probably take a gamble on it myself. The worst case scenario is no dual channel and a 5% performace drop or thereabouts. Depending on what you want out of you PC you could either view that as insignifigant gap, or a yawning chasm.

I am interested to see others opinions though. :)

Advertisement