Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desktop Black Screening and restarting Randomly

• 03-12-2009 3:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

My Self Built desktop (Only a month or so old) has this problem where it likes to randomly restart itself and I cant, for the life of me, figure out why.
    It started doing it a week or so after I built it, but it happened so infrequently I never thought anything of it. However, the past 2 days it has been doing it every 20 minutes or so. What will happen is, the screen will go all black but the Pc itself stays running. It hangs on the black screen for about 10 seconds then restarts itself. Have googled around and cant find anything on it. Pretty sure its not a windows 7 issue, although I could be wrong.
    Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated as this is wrecking my head!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Possible that something is overheating. Have you got Speedfan or a similar application?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,229 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Ruu wrote: »
    Possible that something is overheating. Have you got Speedfan or a similar application?

Its definitely not a temp issue as far as I can tell.
    Have been monitoring my temps and they seem normal enough.
    And by normal I mean my cpu maintains at 28-30c and my gpu steadies at about 35-40c when not under stress.

As for the Windows 7 black screen of death issue, from what I have read that only occurs when you boot up.

Keep the suggestions coming tho!

Are you triggering Hibernate or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

phlegms wrote: »
    My Self Built desktop (Only a month or so old) has this problem where it likes to randomly restart itself and I cant, for the life of me, figure out why.
    It started doing it a week or so after I built it, but it happened so infrequently I never thought anything of it. However, the past 2 days it has been doing it every 20 minutes or so. What will happen is, the screen will go all black but the Pc itself stays running. It hangs on the black screen for about 10 seconds then restarts itself. Have googled around and cant find anything on it. Pretty sure its not a windows 7 issue, although I could be wrong.
    Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated as this is wrecking my head!

a bit more information on the computer specs would help ?

if i was you i would first try removing the graphics driver and use a program called drivercleanerpro to remove the leftovers of the graphics driver files. then install a different earlier driver (seen that you have not given any info on your computer internals it's hard to figure. but try a different graphics driver whether it be nvidia or ati. after that if you still have a problem i would recommend downloading EVEREST free edition to see what your cpu temps are incase your cpu is overheating.

ok i see your temps are ok...

info on your psu
    gpu
    memory
    hard disk
    mobo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Its definitely not a temp issue as far as I can tell.
    Have been monitoring my temps and they seem normal enough.
    And by normal I mean my cpu maintains at 28-30c and my gpu steadies at about 35-40c when not under stress.

As for the Windows 7 black screen of death issue, from what I have read that only occurs when you boot up.

Keep the suggestions coming tho!

your temps are perfect so it's either the graphics card driver or the memory
    double check in the bios to make sure everything is set to the way it's supposed to be as well.

info on using drivercleaner pro http://www.overclock.net/downloads/138459-driver-cleaner-pro.html

download driver cleaner pro http://www.afterdawn.com/software/desktop_software/other_tools/driver_cleaner_pro.cfm

I have been getting a new error as of last night in which the pc will crash and go to a white/grey screen and hang there indefinitely :confused:

I'll give the driver clean thing you suggested a go now.

Pc specs as follows;

Intel i5
    4 gigs DD3 ram
    Ati Sapphire HD 5850
    1tb Hard drive
    Asus P755D EVO motherboards
    Corsair TX 650 w PSU

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The plot thickens...

I un-installed my graphics card driver, restarted, and went to download the drivers and install them again. However, mid-download it Blue screened on me as opposed to the Black screen or Grey-striped screen I had gotten before.
    Any ideas what this is an indication of?
    Im pretty sure its a graphics card issue at this stage..

Did you build it wrong? :p

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Did you build it wrong? :p

Been working perfectly up until 2 days ago :o

you saids its been happening since you built it though not as frequently. so it sounds like something went wrong with the build. Reseat the components - ram, cards, etc. Reseat the cables. Double check your drivers, run some diagnostics on a linux boot cd, etc.

and if you get a blue screen memorize the code/write it down.

you saids its been happening since you built it though not as frequently. so it sounds like something went wrong with the build. Reseat the components - ram, cards, etc. Reseat the cables. Double check your drivers, run some diagnostics on a linux boot cd, etc.

and if you get a blue screen memorize the code/write it down.

Well the problem only happened once or twice after I built it then didnt happen for a while.

I took out everything last night and reset it to make sure everything had been put in right, and as far as I can tell nothing is out of place.

I'll take down the BSOD code next time it comes up.

and its definitely not overheating? have you gotten to read the temperatures yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I got that last night with XP restarted 3 times and no joy, went into safe mode (lucky I knew a little, very little about that) and from there did a system restore.

Has it been fixed now, is it safe for me to accept window updates now?

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I got that last night with XP restarted 3 times and no joy, went into safe mode (lucky I knew a little, very little about that) and from there did a system restore.

Has it been fixed now, is it safe for me to accept window updates now?
    considering its been mainstream news for a week, im sure Microsoft has pulled the update by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

considering its been mainstream news for a week, im sure Microsoft has pulled the update by now.

fair point and thanks, I only became aware of it yesterday.

Ok lads, bit of an update here.

Basically, if I have the gfx card drivers uninstalled it gives me a BSOD. These are the error codes I'm getting;

0x0000007E

and

0x0000001E

There doesnt appear to be a more recent driver for my gfx card so am I entirely screwed? Or is my gfx card even the issue?
    Thanks for any help you can give me, I really want to avoid someone having to pay someone to fix it for me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Go to this location,

C:\Windows\Minidump

Attach the most recent files to a post on this form.

• Advertisement

Is there any help anyone can give me?
    This is seriously starting to eat away at me now. I have tried uninstalling drivers and reinstalling older ones,checking all my components are fitted properly, I have done memory tests, virus scans, improved my temperatures etc. etc.. and still no luck.
    At this stage I'm ready to throw the fúcker out the window..

No help then?

have you tried a reformat?

have you tried a reformat?

I doubt a reformat will help as I have been getting this problem since I built it. Or am I completely wrong there?

I doubt a reformat will help as I have been getting this problem since I built it. Or am I completely wrong there?
    I dunno. Are you?

And are you sure you've explored all driver options? What about a CMOS reset? Is the Intel MAtrix Storage Manager driver installed? Is the BIOS firmware up to date?

Why so adverse to a reformat anyway if youre pulling your hair at? Dont get me wrong I dont mind short hair but male pattern baldness wakes me up at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

I have been getting the same thing. It only happens when I try to upload a video to YouTube. The video today is only 407MB so well within the limits of YouTube specs. I was getting the same thing about a month ago, then it seemed to fix itself because I uploaded a video since, but today it's happened again. My computer goes to black screen, and although it is still running it requires my password to start it up again. It then goes to this webpage - http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/10/en-gb/5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0?SGD=d9d605bc-4fbb-4afa-95a9-e5a010d5512d . As far as I know, I have all the latest drivers (none are showing as being outdated or not working correctly) so I don't know what to do.
    Since it doesn't happen for every video, I'm very confused. :o

My PC specs are:
    AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
    1.74 GHz 1.00 GB RAM
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    Version 2
    Service Pack 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Another possibility is hard disk errors. Vista doesn't seem to act predictably when this occurs.

A colleague recently had their laptop repeatedly suspend at unpredictable times in the middle of use, and no amount of changing the power options in the control panel or bios would fix it.

A week or so later, it began to fail at boot, and repair would stall.
    Turns out to be bad blocks appearing on the hard disk.

Can you carry out a full backup, identify what manufacture of hard drive is in the laptop?
    Most Hard disk manufactures (except Toshiba) provide tools in the form of a bootable CD ISO image which let you do a full in-depth scan looking for problems.

If this is the case there are tools like ddrescue on linux which allow you to clone your hard drive onto a new drive.

Hi OP, I only spotted this now. Both Blue screens were caused by memory corruption. I would do a long check of both your ram and hard-drive(page file errors can cause it as well). I'm sure somebody on the forum could recommend ways to do that.

It also might help in future if you point out your using a 64bit OS.

• Advertisement

One last thing, if your using symantec anti-virus get rid of it. Uninstall and reinstall your antivirus if your using another. They can mask as the above reason for a blue screen.

Advertisement