Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA kit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Since no one else has responded, I nearly went for CCNA, but in the end just didn't have the time, or the inclination (not specifically part of my job & was busy with other stuff). I'd go with the official Cisco books if I was looking at it again. As far as I know, CCNA can still be done in 1 exam, or 2 exams.

Cisco equipment can be expensive, so you may have to rely on simulators. I found some here before: http://www.ipflow.utc.fr/index.php/Cisco_7200_Simulator
    Is there any old kit in your workplace that you can tinker with?

There's also a lot of info in the older threads in boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

Hea Noel, as I was saying earlier I think that the Todd Lammele book and the cbt nuggets videos are both very good for the CCNA, used along side packet tracer, that should be more then enough to pass.

If you fancy setting up a lab then ebay is your best bet to pick up a ccna training lab but in my opinion for the sims packet tracer is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭noel123ie

Barrypr wrote: »
    Hea Noel, as I was saying earlier I think that the Todd Lammele book and the cbt nuggets videos are both very good for the CCNA, used along side packet tracer, that should be more then enough to pass.

If you fancy setting up a lab then ebay is your best bet to pick up a ccna training lab but in my opinion for the sims packet tracer is enough.

Thanks yoU de man!

Barrypr wrote: »

Thanks you de man!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

It nice to get experience with real kit. Loose cables, bad connections, wrong side of cables etc. Thats the only thing extra you will learn from real kit and how to patch things around as you may have to use a patch panel in a lab environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Cisco Press and Cisco.com docs

Dynamips for practice:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamips

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭lmmoonbeam1976

noel123ie wrote: »
    Hi

I have MCSA, Sec+ and hope to homestudy CCNA

What kit do I need to buy router, books etc and where is best to get these?

Also I looked at prometric site and cisco are listed what provider provides exams?

Also according to http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/learning_certification_type_home.html[/url] can be done in 1 or 2 parts am I reading that correctly?

Thanks
    Noel

hi noel

im part of a group thats doing computer networks in IT Blanch and we use the CISCO training modules - we use the packet tracers
    also use the following book : CISCO network fundamentals - comes with a CD for packet tracers which we use

that would be a good start also try amazon for the books - cheap ass chips

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭lmmoonbeam1976

Noel

here is a list of CISCO books that we use and will be using towards our certification over 2 yrs

computer networks 4th edition isbn 0130384887
    CCNA 1 & 2 - companion guides isbn 1587131102
    CCNA 3 & 4 - companion guides isbn 1587131137
    ccna study guide isbn 0782143113

• Registered Users Posts: 20 szafa

Hi noel123ie

If you are interested in buying cisco lab let me know I have a cheap lab for sale.

szafa wrote: »
    Hi noel123ie

If you are interested in buying cisco lab let me know I have a cheap lab for sale.

Hi there

Yes Id be interested please pm me details or contact no

Thanks
    Noel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭coolpix23

The lab that szafa has for sale is on adverts.ie, just search for cisco on the adverts site.

There's a GUI front end for dnynamips calles GNS3. You still need a cisco IOS (internetworking OS). You could get it from rapidshare/torrent but that is technicaly illegal.

If you uses GNS3 on Vista you need to have User Account Control turned off.... Control Panel-> Security Center -> Other Security Settings.

coolpix23 wrote: »
    The lab that szafa has for sale is on adverts.ie, just search for cisco on the adverts site.

There's a GUI front end for dnynamips calles GNS3. You still need a cisco IOS (internetworking OS). You could get it from rapidshare/torrent but that is technicaly illegal.

If you uses GNS3 on Vista you need to have User Account Control turned off.... Control Panel-> Security Center -> Other Security Settings.

yes thats where i saw it but i presumed it came loaded with os

Advertisement