Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So whats everybody doing now?

Options
  • 03-12-2009 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Just a quick question to see how the profession is holding up and what are most people up to now?

I left Ireland a while back and am currently in Oz. Not working in my field at the minute because I had to secure my 2nd yr visa but hope to get office work soon. if not enjoy my travels and maybe go back to college for my Hons. Deg.

Just wondering what most are up to? Unemployed, back to education, 3 day week, emmigration, career change?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

3 day week since last february...

amazingly still slowly steady.

Dev House building has completely ceased
    One offs are very slow... those who could afford to build are getting good deals... those looking for mortgages are being put through the ringer.

soem regularisation certs, some extensions, a lot of BERs (ive done over 50 at this stage)....

hoping once we survive until, say, next march things should become more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Currently in Oz, working in a large Sydney based office.

Hopefully i'll get a second year, or ideally sponsored soon

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Well done Mellor. I was in Perth last year but had no luck, everything slowed as I arrived. Still hope to get something. Best of luck and I might give you a shout for a pint when I pass through Syndey in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Back to education for another year to get my Hons. Not really enjoying it at all, nothing to do with the course though, just me finding it hard to get back into it.

Typically I got a call today, someone found my cv and if I was interested in a job with Bentley systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jonnyj

Im back in college, doing 2nd year architecture, enjoying it so far. Im in a class of about 45 and there are 9 technicans after joining. I know a few people that were working (bearly) and didn't bother applying and they are out of work now, they regret it and so some intend on applying for architecture or construction management in feburary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

sydthebeat wrote: »
    3 day week since last february...

amazingly still slowly steady.

Dev House building has completely ceased
    One offs are very slow... those who could afford to build are getting good deals... those looking for mortgages are being put through the ringer.

soem regularisation certs, some extensions, a lot of BERs (ive done over 50 at this stage)....

hoping once we survive until, say, next march things should become more realistic.

My situation is very similar to this.
    Very small office, there was 4 of us, now just 2.
    Have to say though fair play to the boss, even though my wage has been slashed, his has been totally wiped out. And how many similar cases are there in all fields around the country! Heads should roll i tells ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Similar to a couple of people above, we're down to a staff of 4 from a peak of about 25 around 2 years ago, whereas i'm still working a 5 day week my salary has been slashed & more often than not arrives late & in installments, however the fact i'm still working is not to be sniffed at. We're getting small bits of work in with the promise of one or two decent sized jobs so fingers crossed we can struggle through. Pretty much all the people that have been made redundant from here are still unemployed despite great efforts on thgeir part to find anything, its a tough world out there these days.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Still self employed and still struggling onwards, I have never employed anyone so thank god I didn't have to lay anybody off, I have kept my head above water just about this year but I don't think I will last next year as there is very very little new work coming in and what is coming in is very small and I'm nearly finished most of the jobs I have on, the ones that aren't finished are on permanent hold!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Got laid off last March, Done pretty much anything to make some money since then everything from truck driving to farming. At the min I'm working in a take away.
    The one consistant thing throughout is that there were always a couple of nixers on the go, maybe just 1 a month but it kept me going. I decided in November (after completing a "start your own business course" from FAS) that I would start up my own practice and its going alright so far. Still working in the take away 3 days but I have a couple of "jobs" on the go aswell without doing any advertising.

I had no real expences to start with as I have most of the gear at home already. PCs, software, phone, A3 printer, Automatic level etc. and things like business cards, web site hosting and PI insurance cost money but can go down as expences for the end of the year (if I turn a profit:p.) I only plan on going as far as planning but may turn out construction drawings in the future to try offset the cost of the PI.

This time last year there would have been no way I would even have thought of being self employed (I'm only an Arch Tech at the end of the day:D) but once you see what hard work really is, driving a truck from 3am and coming back at 4pm then starting clean up in a garage at 5 until 11pm, and get used to an unsteady income the advantages really become apparent! I work when I want for as long as I want and the more I do the more I get paid but the best part is that I decide the standard of work I do. I carry out the surveys, talk with the clients, design and detail the drawings. I have to say that so far I'm loving it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Well done Slig!

One thing you could also consider is making contact with local architects offices and offering your services (on an outsorcing basis).

Architects offices are down to bare minimum staff, so if any sort of half decent job comes in it can stretch the staff that remain and principals are reluctant in this climate to take on staff to cover a one off project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Slig wrote: »
    (I'm only an Arch Tech at the end of the day:D)
    Could be worse. You could be an architect :eek: :D

Advertisement