Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Van Seat Conversion Kits Legal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

rorysllvn wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a vw caddy van (new shape) and wanted to know if these are legal:

http://www.vangadgets.co.uk/van-seat-conversions-car-derived-light-commercials.htm

It would be handy being able to carry an extra passenger :D

do you have to tell the insurance company? or change the log book?:confused:

Any Ideas?:rolleyes:

Not sure about legality, but you'd have to pay VRT on the Van for turning it in to a passenger vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Its also a DOE fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hi,
    I have a vw caddy van (new shape) and wanted to know if these are legal:

http://www.vangadgets.co.uk/van-seat-conversions-car-derived-light-commercials.htm

It would be handy being able to carry an extra passenger :D

do you have to tell the insurance company? or change the log book?:confused:

Any Ideas?:rolleyes:

Anyone in those seats would not be insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

craichoe wrote: »

Surely they would be covered as third parties no? Which the insurer is legally obliged to pay out on?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

tin79 wrote: »
    Surely they would be covered as third parties no? Which the insurer is legally obliged to pay out on?

No. You've modified the vehicle. Your insurance is void.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Even if you modified the vehicle are incurance companies not required by law to cover third parties? I was told this was the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

smccarrick wrote: »
    No. You've modified the vehicle. Your insurance is void.

i dont agree with that , but i am no lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

irlmarc wrote: »
    Even if you modified the vehicle are incurance companies not required by law to cover third parties? I was told this was the case.

You're correct. It's not void, and insurance company would have to pay out. However, they would be entitled to come after you for full recovery of any monies paid out on that claim, due to your breach of 'utmost good faith' vis-a-vis your proposal form.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

galwaytt wrote: »
    You're correct. It's not void, and insurance company would have to pay out. However, they would be entitled to come after you for full recovery of any monies paid out on that claim, due to your breach of 'utmost good faith' vis-a-vis your proposal form.

Isn't it a fact that it gets paid from the Public Liability fund- and the insurance company is then legally obliged to register a judgement against you in satisfaction of the claim?

Perhaps saying the policy was/is void, was not the correct way of putting it- but a loose interpretation of the state of play is- if you or your passenger are involved in an accident which involves a claim on your policy- the company will settle the claim- but are then expected to recoup all costs involved from you? Its not quite a 'voiding' of your policy- but its not a million miles from it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

You would have to look into DOE & Insurance i mean there Vans that are Converted into Ambulances, Minibus, Taxis etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rorysllvn

so would this mean you would have to pay car tax instead of commercial tax?. There are quite a few transit vans on donedeal.ie with rear seats installed are those factory fitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

so would this mean you would have to pay car tax instead of commercial tax?. There are quite a few transit vans on donedeal.ie with rear seats installed are those factory fitted?

Not always, some are converted from Panel Vans.

To be a crew cab and commercial there are set regulations that vans need to adhere to to qualify for €50 VRT. Most common one is a GVW of > 3,450kg which is why most you'll see are Transit 350's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

craichoe wrote: »
    would void the driver too though id say....

they are illigal if not declared in the policy you took out.

Advertisement