Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blessington, can you get a taxi from Dublin City?

Options
  • 03-12-2009 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am new to the area, and wondering do taxi's go to Blessington from Dublin City Centre after hours. How much would it cost?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

kuro_man wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am new to the area, and wondering do taxi's go to Blessington from Dublin City Centre after hours. How much would it cost?
    Cheers.

I suspect any taximan sitting at a rank in Dublin would be delighted to bring you to Blessington. Cost - I don't know but I reckon you'd be looking at €60 - €70

Welcome to West Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It used to be about €50 a few years back according to one taxi driver who told me all about the fare previous to me who apparently lived in Blessington... You'd probably expect to pay a bit more than that these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Cost me €80 last year to Greystones which is prob same distance in west wicklow from Dublin CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you were done Damo - I got one from Dame St to Charlesland earlier this year for €35 - went to 4 or 5 different guys who were waiting around and haggled. Its a buyers market and all that (even on the meter it shouldn't be 80)

anyhoo, back on topic:
    http://www.worldtaximeter.com/dublin/dame+street/blessington/23-31

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Any driver has to take you at least 30km, they can't refuse the fare. Dublin CC to Blessington is just about that

However, to avoid hassle at a rank "I don't do that area bud" it might be worth calling a cab and they'll get a driver who will take the fare.
    For a long trip like that the driver would waive the €2 call out fee most likely. If you don't ask you don't get
    loyatemu wrote: »

I use that site all the time. Very, very accurate in my experience and many other posters use it

• Advertisement

mikemac wrote: »
    Any driver has to take you at least 30km, they can't refuse the fare. Dublin CC to Blessington is just about that

However, to avoid hassle at a rank "I don't do that area bud" it might be worth calling a cab and they'll get a driver who will take the fare.

shouldn't be necessary on a Friday or Saturday night, there are so many cabs around you'll easily find one who'll take the fare (and if you're willing to ask a few of them you'll find one who'll do it off the meter).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

mikemac wrote: »

I thought that if a taxi driver stopped for you or if they allowed you into their car, they had to take you where you wanted to go?

I remember last year my housemate got into a taxi at Heuston and asked to go to Clonskeagh, but the taxi driver said that 'I don't go out there, love'. After asking for his plate number and to see his ID, he had a quick change of mind about driving to Clonskeagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

convert wrote: »
    I thought that if a taxi driver stopped for you or if they allowed you into their car, they had to take you where you wanted to go?
    Within the 30km and assuming there aren't any safety considerations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They do yes, but sometimes you just can't face into an argument :(

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ontour2

About €70 from the city centre to Blessington. There is usually room for negotiation. What is very important to realise is that the maximum per Km charge for a taxi is progressive, the further you go, the more you pay per km. It is €1.03 per km up to 14km however when you get up to the band that is over 30km, it is €1.77 per km. Depending on how much you care about the cost, a nightlink to Tallaght and a taxi from there to Blessington would be close to half the price.

• Advertisement

you were done Damo - I got one from Dame St to Charlesland earlier this year for €35 - went to 4 or 5 different guys who were waiting around and haggled. Its a buyers market and all that (even on the meter it shouldn't be 80)

anyhoo, back on topic:

:o Will try the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Cost me €80 last year to Greystones which is prob same distance in west wicklow from Dublin CC.

Damo... should of rung me mate - I'd of done it for 78 ;)

Please realise peeps, not all of us who drive a taxi are dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Damo... should of rung me mate - I'd of done it for 78 ;)

Please realise peeps, not all of us who drive a taxi are dodgy.

Ah jeez if he rang me I'd have done it for 5 litres of diesel and a left over mince pie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Ah jeez if he rang me I'd have done it for 5 litres of diesel and a left over mince pie

Ooh thats rank

(cough)

Right lads and ladies, lets bring this back to the topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

anyhoo, back on topic:

Once you cross the taximeter area (i.e. the county boundry at Little Bray) it's a non-metered fare.

testicle wrote: »
    Once you cross the taximeter area (i.e. the county boundry at Little Bray) it's a non-metered fare.

is that still correct - my understanding of the more recent regulations is that the meter has to be on and that remains the max fare regardless of distance (the driver is of course free to accept a lower fare, but that applies even for short journeys)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

There is only one National Taximeter Area now (since 2005), no longer county based.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭draoicht

It used to be about €50 a few years back according to one taxi driver who told me all about the fare previous to me who apparently lived in Blessington... You'd probably expect to pay a bit more than that these days.

According to The AA’s route planner it’s 30kms from Dame St. to Blessington.

Using the night tariff:
    Initial Charge, First Km: 4.45
    Tariff A, Next 14 Kms: 1.35 x 14 = 18.90
    Tariff B, Next 15 Kms: 1.57 x 15 = 23.55
    Subtotal 46.90

This is the rate when the car is moving, when it’s not moving i.e. stopped at lights, during Tariff A it’s 48c per minute and 55c per minute during Tariff B.
    So I don’t think it would be more than €55 and maybe even a little less.

Edit: Doh, didn't see that link above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

is that still correct - my understanding of the more recent regulations is that the meter has to be on and that remains the max fare regardless of distance (the driver is of course free to accept a lower fare, but that applies even for short journeys)

No its not correct. There used to be a Dublin taxi meter area but that was gotten rid of 4 years ago. Now its completely national. Hence why taxi's are the same price all over the country.

In response to the OP I had no problems last week getting a cab with 3 mates from outside the manhattan to Blessington. Cost us €65 and this was at about 3am. Driver didn't even question/argue just said yeah hop in lads and away we went.

• Advertisement
Advertisement