Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astra 2006 1.7 Diesel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1.7 CDTi (100bhp) diesel in the Astra is pretty old now and not very refined. I would rather go for either the 1.3 CDTi (90bhp) or 1.9 CDTi (120bhp or 150bhp). Both are excellent Fiat engines and very reliable. I would look in the UK too, not because it is cheaper over there but because there is more choice especially with the 1.9 CDTi varient.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Not so sure I'd agree with Bazz on the reliability of the 1.3 CDTi. The engines for these sell like hot cakes at the breakers yards because of big demand, ie giving trouble. I had two of these, one with less than 5k miles so it gave no trouble; the second had about 55k miles on it, we had to replace the turbo before we sold it, and about 15 months after that the headgasket went on it. However I will say that the 1.3 diesel has tons of power 90 bhp out of 1248cc !

Had three of the 1.7s with no problems on any of them. The engine is based on the Isuzu design (now made 16V) used on the Vectra TDs in the mid 90's, which were excellent. Yes the design is pretty old, but it's good. On the other hand I've just bought a fourth 1.7, this one has something broken in the engine (as opposed to wear), probably due to abuse, so it's possible to break anything !

FYI, the 1.7 standard output is 80bhp, the 100bhp was an option.

Advertisement