Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental Illness Scale

• 03-12-2009 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

I'm currently doing my fourth year research project in college and I need a scale that measure attitudes or opinions of mental illness that is worded nicely. So far the ones I've obtained have not been approved because of their uses of words such as "mental patient" and "mental hospital". Does anyone know of one I could use? Or possibly any tips on how to create my own?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I like the concept of niceness in this context.

http://www.sntp.net/references/dsm_definition.htm

Scales of reference are numerous and formulated by people who seem to have very unusual views of human behaviour. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Didn't the Mental Health Ireland do a survey on public attitudes to mental illness a few years ago? Maybe you could ask them for the Qs they used.

Irish mental health coalition

Mental Health Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Considering it is your undergraduate project, it would probably be fine to construct your own attitude scale as long as you establish the test-retest and internal reliabilities. It would be a good idea to ask your supervisor first if you're not sure.

Advertisement