Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help to remove a glass ring stain on White Oak table

Options
  • 03-12-2009 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I've a glass ring stain on an White Oak kitchen table, Any ideas on how to remove it. I want to re oil the table for xmass but this ring stain looks terrible. Its a thin line approx 3mm wide and black in colour.
    Caused by one of those free Coke glasses that look like a can.:mad:
    I was thinking of just sanding it out but I'm apprehensive as Idon't want to scar or damage the table.

Any help appreciated :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 stairs

I think your only option is the sand the table. In most cases stains from glasses and flower pots are imposible to remove unless you sand the wood. The stain has probably penetreted very deap so any wax or cleaner will not fix it.
    When I say deep I am not trying to scare you , I think you can just sand the table with palm sander that way the sand paper will not ruine the wood just take off the finish and the stain.
    Then you have to finish it.
    The best and easy finish is the GOOD STUFF , this is not a liquid finish , it more like a gel that you can apply with rug, very easy to work with.
    I think this is a one day project and your table will b like new.
    www.davincifloors.com

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

hi Good one, it is a good one too.First thing to check is what finish is on the table.Find out if it is oiled or varnished.You say oil so lets go with that.What caused the ring?Not the glass, what was in it?Water, coke or alcohol?Most likley is water as this does cause a black discolouration.You must be very careful about sanding a table top.Is it solid oak or a veneer?Have you had the table long, have you ever oiled it before? What did you use?I have repolished many tables and seen may tables ruined.More info please.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭good one

Hi D.Craftsman,
    to answer your questions
    • Oiled, Solid White Oak
    • Water ( i think 95% sure) in the glass
    • Table is approx. 18mths Old
    • I've never oiled this table before. It will be the first since getting it. Haven't got the oil to hand at the moment to tell you the name.
    Hope this helps your diagnosis

Thanks to Stairs for your advice.

Thanks

Advertisement