Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enough is enough Public & Private Sector Unite For Once!

Options
  • 03-12-2009 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

Which sector you work in doesn't matter at this stage, dont fall foul to the governments attempts to divide the nation backed by the media.

Ireland has had a long tradition of standing together as one which is the basis of our Republic. Which at one point I was proud to be a part of. We have lost sight of ourselves over the past 15 years. We have let out governement and our Unions destroy our self worth and our national identity. We are all fighting eachother for the same reasons and the same end goals. STOP THIS NOW AND UNITE.

The time has come for us all to congregate upon the GPO, to stand as one and to have one voice that serves the common good of all our people. Let us not foget those who did the same in the past, Pearse, Connolly etc If it wasn't for these brave souls we would never have experienced 1st hand the greatest republic on earth.

Can we all put out differences aside and stand as one together? To show our utter disgust at our governments failing and to force real economic change. If at the very least to show the EU that we the people of Ireland are still here, still a united people and that our government does not represent us in the light that we deserve!

Is this possible? I for one would turn up and I know many of my friends/colleagues would too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 nietzy

i would show up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

lest we forget our origins:

POBLACHT NA H EIREANN
    TO THE PEOPLE OF IRELAND

IRISHMEN AND IRISHWOMEN: In the name of God and of the dead generations from which she receives her old tradition of nationhood, Ireland, through us, summons her children to her flag and strikes for her freedom.

Having organised and trained her manhood through her secret revolutionary organisation, the Irish Republican Brotherhood, and through her open military organisations, the Irish Volunteers and the Irish Citizen Army, having patiently perfected her discipline, having resolutely waited for the right moment to reveal itself, she now seizes that moment, and, supported by her exiled children in America and by gallant allies in Europe, but relying in the first on her own strength, she strikes in full confidence of victory.

We declare the right of the people of Ireland to the ownership of Ireland, and to the unfettered control of Irish destinies, to be sovereign and indefeasible. The long usurpation of that right by a foreign people and government has not extinguished the right, nor can it ever be extinguished except by the destruction of the Irish people. In every generation the Irish people have asserted their right to national freedom and sovereignty; six times during the last three hundred years they have asserted it to arms. Standing on that fundamental right and again asserting it in arms in the face of the world, we hereby proclaim the Irish Republic as a Sovereign Independent State, and we pledge our lives and the lives of our comrades-in-arms to the cause of its freedom, of its welfare, and of its exaltation among the nations.

The Irish Republic is entitled to, and hereby claims, the allegiance of every Irishman and Irishwoman. The Republic guarantees religious and civil liberty, equal rights and equal opportunities to all its citizens, and declares its resolve to pursue the happiness and prosperity of the whole nation and all of its parts, cherishing all of the children of the nation equally and oblivious of the differences carefully fostered by an alien government, which have divided a minority from the majority in the past.

Until our arms have brought the opportune moment for the establishment of a permanent National, representative of the whole people of Ireland and elected by the suffrages of all her men and women, the Provisional Government, hereby constituted, will administer the civil and military affairs of the Republic in trust for the people.

We place the cause of the Irish Republic under the protection of the Most High God. Whose blessing we invoke upon our arms, and we pray that no one who serves that cause will dishonour it by cowardice, in humanity, or rapine. In this supreme hour the Irish nation must, by its valour and discipline and by the readiness of its children to sacrifice themselves for the common good, prove itself worthy of the august destiny to which it is called.

Its our god given right under our constitution:

1° The State guarantees liberty for the exercise of the following rights, subject to public order and morality:
    CONSTITUTION OF IRELAND – BUNREACHT NA hÉIREANN
    i. The right of the citizens to express freely their convictions and opinions.
    The education of public opinion being, however, a matter of such grave import to the common good, the State shall endeavour to ensure that organs of public opinion, such as the radio, the press, the cinema, while preserving their rightful liberty of expression, including criticism of Government policy, shall not be used to undermine public order or morality or the authority of the State.
    The publication or utterance of blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter is an offence which shall be punishable in accordance with law.
    ii. The right of the citizens to assemble peaceably and without arms.
    Provision may be made by law to prevent or control meetings which are determined in accordance with law to be calculated to cause a breach of the peace or to be a danger or nuisance to the general public and to prevent or control meetings in the vicinity of either House of the Oireachtas.
    iii. The right of the citizens to form associations and unions.
    Laws, however, may be enacted for the regulation and control in the public interest of the exercise of the foregoing right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

But the governments failure to force economic change is because of the public sector blocking them at every attempt.

Why would someone protest something that they have helped cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Fuhrer wrote: »

Lovely delivery . . .

• Advertisement

But the governments failure to force economic change is because of the public sector blocking them at every attempt.

This is not the place to air previous issues. the purpose of this post is to gauge the support of unity and the chance to put aside our issues and unite as one people with one voice. The government is at fault #1 issue, the rest of the public vs private is secondary and only serves to support the failed government.

But hey i guess there's tons of people here who'd rather be at eachothers throats instead of standing together. I did say the Unions were at fault too.

This is not the place to air previous issues. the purpose of this post is to gauge the support of unity and the chance to put aside our issues and unite as one people with one voice. The government is at fault #1 issue, the rest of the public vs private is secondary and only serves to support the failed government.

But hey i guess there's tons of people here who'd rather be at eachothers throats instead of standing together. I did say the Unions were at fault too.

Well, yes. The point of my post was that we cant have unity because the public sector is putting an unreasonable burden on everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Let us not foget those who did the same in the past, Pearse, Connolly etc If it wasn't for these brave souls we would never have experienced 1st hand the greatest republic on earth.
    :rolleyes:

It's a banana republic ffs.

Well, yes. The point of my post was that we cant have unity because the public sector is putting an unreasonable burden on everyone else.

again you're being devisive, the Unions are the fuel behind the blocking not the general people. most in the public sector accept they need to take wage cuts. its the Unions that are causing the blocks.

again this post is not about blame or igniting the same arguments that are rife on the boards.ie its about putting this antics to one side for one day.

RedPlanet wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

It's a banana republic ffs.

i think you dont know the meaning of a banana republic, sure we can draw similarities given the state of our current government but our constitution is any but a banana republic.

Yet another post that serves no purpose but to divide our peoples.

• Advertisement

again you're being devisive, the Unions are the fuel behind the blocking not the general people. most in the public sector accept they need to take wage cuts. its the Unions that are causing the blocks.

again this post is not about blame or igniting the same arguments that are rife on the boards.ie its about putting this antics to one side for one day.

Who do you think Unions are?

They are some Malevolent shadowy figures who rise from darkness, they're the representatives of the Public sector, their acts represent the wishes of the public sector.

perhaps you should just answer the question that was originally posted instead of continuing your own arguments from other posts.

Who do you think Unions are?

They are some Malevolent shadowy figures who rise from darkness, they're the representatives of the Public sector, their acts represent the wishes of the public sector.

erm not all members of unions are in the public sector lol.

again try to stick on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

most in the public sector accept they need to take wage cuts. its the Unions that are causing the blocks.

If this is indeed true, then let the "most" threaten to leave the union! The inflexible fat-cats at the top wouldn't be long caving in if the subscriptions took a nose-dive!

That said, we do need to stop the "divide-and-conquer" approach that FF are proposing.

I'm currently on about 60% of the wages that I was - working less, but that doesn't help when the bills come in, and I have a friend who is now on a one-day week.

Those are the facts of life in the private sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

i think you dont know the meaning of a banana republic, sure we can draw similarities given the state of our current government but our constitution is any but a banana republic.

Features of a Banana Republic

A collusion between the overweening state and certain favored monopolistic concerns, whereby the profits can be privatized and the debts socialized.

Devalued paper currency in the international community.
    Ok we don't have this currently, but only because the EU won't let us.

Kleptocracy -- those in positions of influence use their time in office to maximize their own gains, always ensuring that any shortfall is made up by those unfortunates whose daily life involves earning money rather than making it.

There must be no principle of accountability within the government so that the political corruption by which the Banana Republic operates is left unchecked. The members of the national legislature will be (a) largely for sale and (b) consulted only for ceremonial and rubber-stamp purposes some time after all the truly important decisions have already been made elsewhere.

"a money class fleeces the banking system while the very trunk of the national tree is permitted to rot and crash" -- Christopher Hitchens [9]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

so revolution then yes??

Woo-hoo!!!

perhaps you should just answer the question that was originally posted instead of continuing your own arguments from other posts.

Which question?

"Can we all put out differences aside and stand as one together? To show our utter disgust at our governments failing and to force real economic change."

That one?

No, I answered that. We cant stand together until everyone is willing to make the sacrifices neccesary for meaningful economic change.

Given that a significant portion of people threatened to shut the country down if they should have to endure a pay cut.

But good luck with the uniting people thing, a good sentiment in theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

Ireland has had a long tradition of standing together as one which is the basis of our Republic. .

funny, i thought the very foundation of this state divided opinions down the middle;)

woodseb wrote: »
    funny, i thought the very foundation of this state divided opinions down the middle;)

and divided the country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

I'm with you. I was in Dublin yesterday and was shocked at the amount of foreigners working in the cities shops and restaurants.
    Its time to send them home!
    There are too many people on the doel and we continue to employ these people in our country.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

b12mearse wrote: »
    I'm with you. I was in Dublin yesterday and was shocked at the amount of foreigners working in the cities shops and restaurants.
    There are too many people on the doel and we continue to employ these people in our country.
    In case anyone else was tempted to turn this thread into a xenophobic rantfest - don't even think about it.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    If this is indeed true, then let the "most" threaten to leave the union! The inflexible fat-cats at the top wouldn't be long caving in if the subscriptions took a nose-dive!

That said, we do need to stop the "divide-and-conquer" approach that FF are proposing.

I'm currently on about 60% of the wages that I was - working less, but that doesn't help when the bills come in, and I have a friend who is now on a one-day week.

Those are the facts of life in the private sector.

I am in the exact same position as you throw my partner who lost her job too and massive bills life is kinda bleek.

but still would you turn up?

b12mearse wrote: »

erm eh not really the point dude. Personally i am happy with the diversity immigration has given us. they contribute to the economy like any other worker.

@ Banana republic, i did say elements are there but the foundation of our republic is no where near the meaning of the term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

k, meet you there at 3? I'll be the guy with the balaclava.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

im confused , you claim the unions are the only ones opposing pay cuts , i thought the unions merley represent their members views , didnt the overwhelming majority of public sector workers vote in favour of strikes , wasnt the whole purpose of the strikes to try and force the goverment to row back on proposed public sector pay cuts

i for one want nothing to do with this new found sense of unity , untill i see evidence that the public sector wants anything other than to see thier boom time wages maintained in a time of rescession , i call HOLLOW bull**** on this whole call to unity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The time has come for us all to congregate upon the GPO, to stand as one and to have one voice that serves the common good of all our people.
    But what would this one voice be saying?
    Can we all put out differences aside and stand as one together?
    No. Put out differences aside. Does this mean accept the status quo?
    To show our utter disgust at our governments failing and to force real economic change.
    What shape would this 'real economic change' take?

dvpower wrote: »
    But what would this one voice be saying?

No. Put out differences aside. Does this mean accept the status quo?

What shape would this 'real economic change' take?

nice...

One voice: That our government has failed us, that they need to stand down, that we the people of Ireland will no longer tollerate corruption, these are my opinions. usually i would a protest of this nature would be a stand not really a dedicated message at that point. you'd probably find someone or some ones would stand up and start shouting. at this point a mandate of sorts would form. but lets be honest we all have the same concerns at some level.

Status quo: No acceptance long term but for one day stand unite as the workers of Ireland to put a shock wave through the government.

Economic change: No to corruption, no to bail outs to banks and developers, yes to equality and social justice.

again these are all my own opinions. there is no plan or mandate in place, however i was attempting to see if those on boards.ie were intested in either continuing the arguments of Private v's Public or protesting as one just for one day. Preferably on a Saturday so those of us in the private sector aren't at risk of losing the jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

One voice:
    That our government has failed us. OK
    that they need to stand down. That's most FF and Green voters excluded.
    that we the people of Ireland will no longer tollerate corruption. Yes we will. That's very easy to say, but then we will go an reelect corrupt politicians again and again.

Economic change:
    No to corruption: see above
    no to bail outs to banks and developers. Does that mean No to NAMA and any other form of Bank recapitalisation? That's another big wedge of the population excluded.
    yes to equality and social justice. What does this even mean?

there is no plan or mandate in place, however i was attempting to see if those on boards.ie were intested in either continuing the arguments of Private v's Public or protesting as one just for one day.
    I for one, have no interest in protesting for the sake of protesting. But there are plenty of SWP types that are.

ah jasus this is getting blown out of proportion.

Aren't you sick of whats been going on? I am a FF voter myself and I am disgusted at what they've done and gotten away with.

The real point is showing the country that we're all one as workers and we all want equality and justice.

I pretty much hate the way people on boards love to pick simple ideas to death.

Would you attend such an event yes or no. perhaps a poll would've been easier than opening up a can of worms lol

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The real point is showing the country that we're all one as workers and we all want equality and justice.
    Unfortunately, we have widely divergent opinions on what, exactly, constitutes "equality and justice".
    Would you attend such an event yes or no.
    Me? No.

Advertisement