Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Car Rental in Melbourne

Options
  • 03-12-2009 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

We're hoping rent a car to drive the Great Ocean Road for a couple of days and then maybe continue on through the Grampians to Adelaide. Or maybe just do the Ocean Road and back to Melbourne if it's too expensive to do it one-way.

Can't find any relocation deals anywhere - does anyone know of any? Or any cheap car rental places in Melbourne??

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Cheap car, 'rentabomb'

Cheap as chips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Apollo are pretty good, they're out by the airport which is a bit of pain, think we paid $300 for a big saloon car, for 7 days, dropped it off in Adelaide

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Lads, while ye are talking about this, would any of ye have an idea what price a camper van would cost??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

http://www.eastcoastcarrentals.com.au

Was by far cheapest I could find, got a a Toyota Yaris for $20 per day and a corolla for $25. Good fleet of new cars and very handy city centre location in Melbourne, not sure if they do relocations/one ways to Adelaide though.

jackbhoy wrote: »
    http://www.eastcoastcarrentals.com.au

Was by far cheapest I could find, got a a Toyota Yaris for $20 per day and a corolla for $25. Good fleet of new cars and very handy city centre location in Melbourne, not sure if they do relocations/one ways to Adelaide though.

How long did you rent it for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

We're hoping rent a car to drive the Great Ocean Road for a couple of days and then maybe continue on through the Grampians to Adelaide. Or maybe just do the Ocean Road and back to Melbourne if it's too expensive to do it one-way.

Can't find any relocation deals anywhere - does anyone know of any? Or any cheap car rental places in Melbourne??

Cheers!

heh OP

as has been mentioned, rentabomb are the cheapest rental in melbourne. however they don't do one-way rentals and you are resticted from using them more than 50km from the city centre (there is a map on their site).

HOWEVER, i did exactly the trip you are talking about, one-way from melbourne to adelaide, ina brand new (50km on the clock when we picked it up) 6-berth mercedes camper van from britz for $5 a day. yes, FIVE DOLLARS A DAY. we got it through www.standbyrelocs.com. fantastic site, i've used them twice in australia already.

the way it works is the standbyrelocs company arrange to have vans or cars moved around, then they sell the deal on that site. you pay a small amoutn for the rental, and you can pay a bit extra to reduce the excess payable (advisable because this can be several thousand dollars, my mate wrote off a rental car in tasmania and it ate up all her holiday budget). there is a $1000 dollar deposit required on the van or car, which they will refund when you get to the spot where you drop it.

we got one van from melbourne to adelaide and they paid for the fuel. we picked up another van from adelaide to alice springs and they paid for half the fuel. brilliant deal, we just stopped off in caravan parks on the way, it's about 25 dollars a night for a powered site.

good luck with it!

Hey, thanks for that info.
    Would anyone have info on what the best route is to take a 3 week trip...thinking of flying upto east coast and coming down along. Is it best/cheaper to use hostels or would a camper be the best bet..?? Presume if you go the hostels route you would need a car as well to really see places at your own ease.
    Also how much of the east coast could you fit in in 3 weeks and not be driving all the time. Is brisbane to melbourne adequate..not enough scenery??

Another question for ye lads....
    if you go down the camper route how much more are you likely to pay for camp sites??
    How much would fuel be per litre..petrol and diesel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

campsites are usually 25 euro for a powered site. 25 euro for the van and 2 people, 12 euro a head for the third and subsequent people,

depending on the engine, you can expect around 10-12litres/100km. check online for current fuel prices. diesel was a bit cheaper than petrol when i left 5 months ago.

cairns-sydney in 3 weeks would be a good trip if you have your own wheels. if you're doing it on busses and trains, brisbane-sydney would be ok in that amount of time.

campsites are usually 25 euro for a powered site. 25 euro for the van and 2 people, 12 euro a head for the third and subsequent people,

depending on the engine, you can expect around 10-12litres/100km. check online for current fuel prices. diesel was a bit cheaper than petrol when i left 5 months ago.

cairns-sydney in 3 weeks would be a good trip if you have your own wheels. if you're doing it on busses and trains, brisbane-sydney would be ok in that amount of time.
    gosh €25 seems quite expensive...is it easy to park the camper if you don't want to be using these all the time...will you be fined for parking or are there some free parking sites...I'm just thinking that it's going to cost a lot of money if you have to park in one of those sites every night.
    What do people think re needing shower/toilet in camper??
    Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

gosh €25 seems quite expensive...is it easy to park the camper if you don't want to be using these all the time...will you be fined for parking or are there some free parking sites...I'm just thinking that it's going to cost a lot of money if you have to park in one of those sites every night.
    What do people think re needing shower/toilet in camper??
    Thanks again

I know a guy who lives in his camper uses toilets in pubs and showers at the beach. As long as you dont park too long in the one spot you should be fine.

Doc wrote: »
    I know a guy who lives in his camper uses toilets in pubs and showers at the beach. As long as you dont park too long in the one spot you should be fine.

Now switch the the 'on' and the 'the'. :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Jaysus, i left my wagon in Melbourne as i went home for christmas, had i known earlier i could have loaned it to ya!lol

for a small fee
    :)

Advertisement