Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless security

Options
  • 03-12-2009 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

hi lads & ladettes..

I was recently showed how easy it was to connect to your neighbours wireless eircom connection! I was shocked at how easy it was!:eek:

Ive now made a few changes to my security which I want to know if this will be adequate protection!:rolleyes:

I changed my Wireless ID (SSID) & Pre Shared Key. Also I changed to WPA - PSK.

What ye think?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

lol, yep its so easy its not even funny!! eircom fail! putting the serial number in the wireless name is just silly. even now a year or so after the issue was identified its still possible to connect to nearly evey eircom wireless in less than 2 seconds with that app, people just dont know there is a problem or dont know how to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭elchanco

I agree.. I asked a few lads in work, and they dont reliase how easy it is?
    Do you think my changes will stop people from connecting with my wireless?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

elchanco wrote: »
    I agree.. I asked a few lads in work, and they dont reliase how easy it is?

Change it to WPA2 and AES. WPA using TKIP has it's flaws as well, though not on the level of WEP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

elchanco wrote: »

There's no such thing as 100% security, but it'll significantly decrease the likelyhood of unauthorised access in comparison to Eircom's default.

cheers.. The default is a joke..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭timberland

can anyone tell me how to change the password and anything else for an eircom wireless ?

thanks

hi timber..

Have a look at this link, some useful tips..

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

It dosent matter given enough resources and time any wireless WAP or WEP can be crack. if you worried about people connect an user your connection use MAC filtering, that way while can connect the can user it

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

It dosent matter given enough resources and time any wireless WAP or WEP can be crack. if you worried about people connect an user your connection use MAC filtering, that way while can connect the can user it

Anyone with a very small amount of knowledge can spoof a MAC addy,

WPA2/AES PSK with a strong passphrase containing numbers, letters and symbols is more than secure enough for a home connection, imo even WPA/TKIP with a strong passphrase is beyond the skills of your standard hobby hacker.

Advertisement