Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Workstation Furniture ?

• 03-12-2009 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I wanna tidy up my gear setup a bit ;

I havn't got a whole lot of it but I seen this thing advertised in a magazine and it looks like just what i need ;

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=468&sName=Z-600

unfortunately it's about €500 + and I couldn't justify spending that much on it

there are cheaper models but they're still about €300

does anyone know of any other manufacturers of this kinda stuff?

I'm looking for the cheapest most functional option!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Cheap & functional?

Ikea wont break the bank.

Great selection of desk top sizes that you can paired up with any base/stand/leg combination. They should have everything online to view.

Get some speaker stands if you have the room & you're sorted.

No racky stuff obviously.. but thats the compromise!

Did you see this on Adverts?

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=150099&cat=55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

Build it, use laminated chip, of plywood with a coat of varnish,

a jig saw, a drill, some brackets, some screws, presto you're done and it fits your needs
    perfectly, and you've saved yourself a fortune, there's a certain pride in a job well done too.

built mine for less than £100 years ago but €150 should do the trick, borrow the tools.

l_51e9569445024d4796bd9ab19eef3f6d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

Quiggers wrote: »

a jig saw, a drill, some brackets, some screws, presto you're done and it fits your needs
    perfectly, and you've saved yourself a fortune, there's a certain pride in a job well done too.

built mine for less than £100 years ago but €150 should do the trick, borrow the tools.

I know its off the topic but man thats a really nice studio you have there. see you have the blofeld synth there . im thinking of getting that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

back on topic . i did they same and built my own . you are better off as you can make exactly what you need to your own specifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

That's a nice job - very functional. My set up is something like yours & I've just been trying to figure out to do something similar in my own place. Yours has given me some great ideas - thanks.

Slightly off topic, but might be good to get others to post pictures of their own set ups (specifically workstation set ups as opposed to the usual "show me your studio" type threads) . Might give a few of us some ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

nice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but might be good to get others to post pictures of their own set ups (specifically workstation set ups as opposed to the usual "show me your studio" type threads) . Might give a few of us some ideas?

Excellent idea. I'm just starting to build mine so would love to see other peoples set-ups (to nick some ideas :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I've been searching for decent designs to get ideas for building my own. I came across this. I might trying to make something along these lines. Mine won't be as fancy/well finished, but the basic structure ticks all the boxes for me (2 LCD screens, pair monitors, 61 key midi keyboard, 8 channel control surface, mouse & keyboard)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rayhartjnr

I've decided to build my own!

or at least design it and employ labour.

gonna wait a while and see how other people done theirs first though

so if anyone is willing to share a picture of their desk please do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

rayhartjnr wrote: »
    I wanna tidy up my gear setup a bit ;

I havn't got a whole lot of it but I seen this thing advertised in a magazine and it looks like just what i need ;

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=468&sName=Z-600

unfortunately it's about €500 + and I couldn't justify spending that much on it

there are cheaper models but they're still about €300

does anyone know of any other manufacturers of this kinda stuff?

I'm looking for the cheapest most functional option!

There's a guy called daroxtar on the kitchensync thread that builds custom set ups really cheaply. He just helped me convert my shed into a home studio. Did a load of custom units for me. Sweet as fook.
    Loads of room for all my stuff. I know he's done custom deck stands for a good few of the lads on the Dance Music thread as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

I have used Ikea's Rast unit (9 euro) to currently house my portable rack set up. There are loads of posts about it but here is a link to some geeky types that like to take a 19 inch ruler to ikea for checking out their furniture
    http://www.audiogeekzine.com/2009/07/ikea-makes-great-furniture-for-your-home-studio-honestly/
    http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/2007/09/hack-bedside-tables-into-music-studio.html

Buy some rack strip and away you go.

Advertisement