Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSI Maps - Offer & Question

Options
  • 03-12-2009 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭

Offer
    Buy maps 2 for 1 offer from OSI
    Available at the OSi (Ordnance Survey Ireland) Map Shop in the Phoenix Park, Dublin, all MountainViews members can avail of the following offer:

Buy any 2 Discovery Series Maps of your choice and get any other 2 Discovery Series Maps Free.
    This would be very useful to members who are stocking up maps for further summiteering/bagging next year. Incidentally, visiting the OSI place is quite interesting in its own right. The last time I was there, the reception were giving out a free all Ireland poster map, modern on one side and 19th century on the other. (Obviously, no guarantees that's still available)
    To obtain the reduced price, people just need to mention the Mountain Views offer. It is limited to 8 copies in total (buy 4 get 4 free). The offer continues to the end of Jan 2010.
    MountainViews are simply doing a public service by mentioning this offer incidentally.

Question:

I remember some time ago talk on here of a new discovery maps series with substantial changes to the numbering and location each map represented. Have these been released yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I remember some time ago talk on here of a new discovery maps series with substantial changes to the numbering and location each map represented. Have these been released yet?
    A fellow walker who was at the OSi offices in Phoenix Park recently for some kind of Open Day, asked someone there what the status of this was, and was told that they had decided not to go ahead with it. Whether this was down to the feedback they got from consultations with various stakeholders, or just down to a money saving excercise, I don't know, but they seemed quite definite about it. I can't find anything on the OSi website to that effect though, so make of it what you will. Maybe fire off an email to them for confirmation?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Alun wrote: »
    A fellow walker who was at the OSi offices in Phoenix Park recently for some kind of Open Day, asked someone there what the status of this was, and was told that they had decided not to go ahead with it. Whether this was down to the feedback they got from consultations with various stakeholders, or just down to a money saving excercise, I don't know, but they seemed quite definite about it. I can't find anything on the OSi website to that effect though, so make of it what you will. Maybe fire off an email to them for confirmation?

Thanks,

Couldn't find anything on the site either.

Looking to build an entire collection of these maps as am looking at the 278 peaks over 600m challenge.

Obviously don't want to buy a lot of maps and find out a few months later that they've been superseded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Thanks,

Couldn't find anything on the site either.

Looking to build an entire collection of these maps as am looking at the 278 peaks over 600m challenge.

Obviously don't want to buy a lot of maps and find out a few months later that they've been superseded.

Mind me asking what list you are drawing the 278 peaks from?
    I'm sure you are aware of it but the OSI mapping online is very handy for planning etc. (will still need the paper maps for when you are on the ground)... http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx

paulocon wrote: »
    Mind me asking what list you are drawing the 278 peaks from?
    I'm sure you are aware of it but the OSI mapping online is very handy for planning etc. (will still need the paper maps for when you are on the ground)... http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx

Well maybe not quite all the maps...

Lists are on mountainviews.ie
    Haven't looked into it in detail as yet but regardless of the stuff being available online as always want to have a paper one with me when going somewhere new.

I've fired off an email to the OSi asking them the status. When/if I get a reply I'll post it here.

• Advertisement

I've fired off an email to the OSi asking them the status. When/if I get a reply I'll post it here.

Beat me to it so, I went for lunch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Well maybe not quite all the maps...

Lists are on mountainviews.ie
    Haven't looked into it in detail as yet but regardless of the stuff being available online as always want to have a paper one with me when going somewhere new.

Thanks for that.

Started into the 212 mountains in 'The Mountains of Ireland' by Paddy Dillon so might meet you somewhere along the way!!

OK, the official news from OSi is that, yes, they have abandoned the idea of using ITM on the Discovery series (good!). What they are doing though is to issue a brand new revised series of maps with some enhancements (they didn't say what exactly, but probably based on the feedback they received during the consultative process), but still based on Irish Grid, and still with the same sheet numbers and index.

So, I guess that's why they're trying to get rid of the old ones cheaply!

Apparently they'll be putting the results of the consultative process up on the website hopefully next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

OK, the official news from OSi is that, yes, they have abandoned the idea of using ITM on the Discovery series (good!). What they are doing though is to issue a brand new revised series of maps with some enhancements (they didn't say what exactly, but probably based on the feedback they received during the consultative process), but still based on Irish Grid, and still with the same sheet numbers and index.

So, I guess that's why they're trying to get rid of the old ones cheaply!

Apparently they'll be putting the results of the consultative process up on the website hopefully next week.

Boo, I was quite looking forward to ITM...

Does anyone know if the 2 for 1 offer covers laminated maps, and if the shop stocks these? Based on past experience, laminated is the way to go...

Advertisement