Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging a wreath

• 03-12-2009 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I want to hang a christmas wreath on my front door, but don't fancy the idea of putting a nail through it. Anyone got any tips on hanging a wreath?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

corblimey wrote: »
    I want to hang a christmas wreath on my front door, but don't fancy the idea of putting a nail through it. Anyone got any tips on hanging a wreath?

Is there not something you can buy with a sticky side for the door and a hook on it in a hardware store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

There's a metal yoke you can buy from hardware stores (Atlantic and the like) that you hang over the top of your door. The wreath sits on a hook at the bottom....easy peasy! Got one in our Christmas decorations box somewhere, better dig it out so it's ready to go:)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lotusflower

They had those metal hook thiings to go over the door in penney's last week when i was in there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Mollywolly wrote: »
    There's a metal yoke you can buy from hardware stores (Atlantic and the like) that you hang over the top of your door. The wreath sits on a hook at the bottom....easy peasy! Got one in our Christmas decorations box somewhere, better dig it out so it's ready to go:)

And the door will stillc close properly with them on?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lotusflower

Yup the door should still close alright :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

They've lovely ones in penny's at the moment ... they're about €8

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I had the over the door hanging thing, didn't work on my door, so I bought one of those sticky hooks(silver one) for the door and it work grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Just in case anyone is looking at this thread, I got a hangy over the door thing in Woodies. Unfortunately, it's very shallow, so the top of the wreath was getting caught in the door. So I got some shiny ribbon in Tescos and putting the whole lot together, I now have a wreath on my door (although it probably blew off in the storm we're now having :D)

Thanks all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

will they work on a door made of glass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

A door made of glass? well assumidly there's a wooden frame? is it like that with a glass panel? cuz we had one on our door and we've glass panels from the mailbox upwards.

Though in saying that we're not allowed hang a wreath anymore, lovely one my mother got in the states a few years back got stolen off our front door last year :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Well. The hook over the top things won't work on my door, and I'm not sticking a nail or screw in the front of the door, so last year I fashioned a rather brilliant contraption with a bit of string. :p

On the inside of my door the letter box has a hinge so I tied the string around the wreath, over the top of the door and tied it around the letter box inside.

Bingo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

star-pants wrote: »
    Though in saying that we're not allowed hang a wreath anymore, lovely one my mother got in the states a few years back got stolen off our front door last year :(

I'm the same, I wouldn't hang a good one out. I have a big one I got from Penneys years ago which is actually quite nice, but I wouldn't be too bothered if it was taken. Keep the good ones for inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭brosnadog

On the inside of my door the letter box has a hinge so I tied the string around the wreath, over the top of the door and tied it around the letter box inside.

Bingo!

i do the same thing - well kinda, i too use string but have no letterbox, i push a flathead thumbtack into the top of the door just enough for the door to close and tie the string to that, jobs oxo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You should be able to make a hook from a wire coat hanger to hang from top of door.

Advertisement