Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any1 else done Everest base camp?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Hey RATM,

Any chance who you could tell me if you're traveling independently or an organised trip? If it's organised, can you tell who you're traveling with? I'm looking to EBC sometime over the next 2yrs and just trying to get some tours operators to compare and contrast.

Anyone else have any recommendations and why?
    Seen earths-edge.com, iantaylortrekking.com and patfalvey......any others worth mentioning?

Cheers and sorry for hijacking :o

Ruairi- the beauty of trekking in Nepal over any other country I've trekked in is that along the trails there is a network of tea houses where you can get food and lodgings for less than $5 per person per night. This means that your pack is a hell of a lot lighter as there is no need to carry cooking equipment, utensils or even a tent and all the rest that goes with that. You do need to bring a sleeping bag though as it can get cold in some of the lodges. But the main thing is that the lodges mean that your backpack should weigh no more than 12kg or 13kg which will make the walk all the more pleasant than dragging a 20kg pack with tents, food and cooking gear attached.

So when I've treked in Nepal I've always done so independently, as did a majority of people on the EBC and Annapurna trails when I did them. If at any stage during the trek you changed your mind and decide that you want a porter-guide then any number of lads in the villages you pass through will do so for few dollars a day- just ask any tea house owner and they'll help out.

I can't really comment on any of the organised tours that go there, except to say that they will work out a lot more expensive than doing it independently. You'll end up sleeping in much the same places and eating the same food as the groups anyway except doing it independently will likely save you a decent chunk of cash to spend on other things in Nepal, like rafting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

my experience would be much the same as RATM. there was two of us and we fitted all our gear in one backpack, hired a porter to carry it, he was great. cheap as chips, hired him at the airport in luckla. there will be loads of them looking for work there. i cant remember how much we paid him but he was cheap, i think our tip was equivalent of the whole rate as he was such a good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭RamblingRuairi

RATM wrote: »
    Ruairi- the beauty of trekking in Nepal over any other country I've trekked in is that along the trails there is a network of tea houses where you can get food and lodgings for less than $5 per person per night. This means that your pack is a hell of a lot lighter as there is no need to carry cooking equipment, utensils or even a tent and all the rest that goes with that. You do need to bring a sleeping bag though as it can get cold in some of the lodges. But the main thing is that the lodges mean that your backpack should weigh no more than 12kg or 13kg which will make the walk all the more pleasant than dragging a 20kg pack with tents, food and cooking gear attached.

So when I've treked in Nepal I've always done so independently, as did a majority of people on the EBC and Annapurna trails when I did them. If at any stage during the trek you changed your mind and decide that you want a porter-guide then any number of lads in the villages you pass through will do so for few dollars a day- just ask any tea house owner and they'll help out.

I can't really comment on any of the organised tours that go there, except to say that they will work out a lot more expensive than doing it independently. You'll end up sleeping in much the same places and eating the same food as the groups anyway except doing it independently will likely save you a decent chunk of cash to spend on other things in Nepal, like rafting.

Cheers RATM - will have to look into the independent side of things. I like the idea of not being on a strict timetable.

Thanks again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Cheers RATM - will have to look into the independent side of things. I like the idea of not being on a strict timetable.

Thanks again!!

It is actually another point to consider- going independently means that you can take an extra day if needed to cope with the altitude. You don't have that option when you're part of a group. I remember talking to a couple of Irish people on the trail on my way back from Everest Base Camp and they were doing the trek for some Irish charity as part of a group of 15. When I met them the group was down to 11 as their flight got delayed by a couple of days and as a result the group leader was pushing on and the group members were dropping like flies as they couldn't cope with the altitudes at the pace the leader was setting. The couple I was talking to were also thinking of dropping out, they were quite annoyed that there was no contingency for flight delays and also annoyed that it looked like they weren't going to make it to base camp.

I'm just in the process of booking flights to Nepal this week to trek Everest Base Camp again and then head off to attempt a summit on Mera Peak. I'm still looking for a partner to share permit and guide costs on Mera Peak so if anyone is interested then get in touch. Leaving Dublin Oct 11, spending some time in Dubai before hitting Kathmandu for Oct 15th and Lukla by the 17th all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭IS_a_Class

i've done a few treks like this though none in the nepal area. My advice is that no matter what your precautions for altitude, you'll end up with a miniscule appetite. if you're bringing your own food, pack stuff that will be tasty,no matter how sick you'll feel - energy bars instead of bags of dried fruits and nuts, forget trying to save a few pence cause you just wont feel like eating tons of raisins etc. Rashers instead of dried beef or yak meat. Tasty biscuits are always good. Energy powder is a great idea too, to mix with water.

Also, if you're a drinker, which is half the fun for me up in the mountains, go for quality over quantity,as alcohol doesn't go down well at that altitude. Choose a bottle of 21 year aged whiskey sourced from home.

If you're using pack animals, remember to bring a day pack as you'll find it hard to pull stuff from your bags strapped to the animal. If you're slogging it yourself, pack as light as possible obviously - knowing that you will eat little helps in this regard. Don't commence unless you are 100% confident in your bag and boots.

If you are going in a wet season, your backpack rain-cover will prove less than useless, so have a drybag inside your backpack.

another good trick is that if you will be returning to the same hotel or hostel on your return from the trek, have a change of clothes and a pair of sandals waiting for you.

And always have a kindle filled with some light reading, it can get boring on the days that you'll be starting and ending early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Hey RATM,

Any chance who you could tell me if you're traveling independently or an organised trip? If it's organised, can you tell who you're traveling with? I'm looking to EBC sometime over the next 2yrs and just trying to get some tours operators to compare and contrast.

Anyone else have any recommendations and why?
    Seen earths-edge.com, iantaylortrekking.com and patfalvey......any others worth mentioning?

Cheers and sorry for hijacking :o

Hi Ruari,

We did EBC in 1999 late November, early December. Chilly in the nights, but not as busy, and no racing other hikers to get to Stan Armington's recommended lodgings in each stopover. We did it independently as did most of the others on the EBC trail at the time.

We had some extra time so we took the bus from Kathmandu to Jiri. If you opt for the same, I suggest getting on top as soon as the bus gets out of Kath. The views are great, fresh air and lots of legroom up there. The walk from Jiri to Lukla takes an extra 5 days, but you get fit and it's not so busy so you get to see what it used to be like before all the tourists arrived. Resist the temptation to harvest the trailside "weeds", the locals frown upon it.

You'll need a down sleeping bag, but you can rent one from Namche onwards if you don't have one. After you do EBC and Kala Patar, I'd recommend going over to Gokyo in the next valley afterwards to get another (IMO better) view of Everest and the region. You can go over the Cho La, or if weather/equipment/confidence doesn't permit, take an extra day and go via Photse and the east side of the Gokyo valley. Amazing views. Gokyo can be cold, our inside/outside thermo showed -33/-24 the nights we were there. Gokyo Ri views are great but a day trip up to Nameless Fangs won't be regretted.

I'm very jealous/nostalgic/wistful.

Advertisement