Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair change prepaid option to mastercard - travel section now updated

Options
  • 03-12-2009 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Some of you may know this but said I'd put it up anyway. I will update the travel section later but want to give this max exposure hence the new thread.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/gen-en-301109

Ryanair have announced that as of 01/12/09 its free form of payment will be prepaid master card. These are available in Ireland via the link below and I am sure many other sources.
    So anyone can get one and save themselves the 5eur each way credit card fee.

https://www.wirecard.com/wirecard/

This wirecard option looks to be the best I can see. There is an option to get a virtual card which from what I have researched they only charge 1 eur to load it via wire transfer and dont charge for purchases as long as ccy is eur. It is regulated in Germany so ac is in EUR.
    Charges on link below. Note if you use a credit card to load rather than wire they charge 3% loading fee(for cheap flights you will still save.

I opened one of these acs last night, takes about 3 minutes.

https://www.wirecard.com/wirecard/ShowFees.html

They will continue to accept visa electron until 01Jan10 so I am off to spend my remaining balance on that now and get myself a new prepaid mastercard.

Much as we give out about Ryanair this is good for Irish customers as the process of getting a visa electron card put off a lot of people.

I will sticky this for a while so most of the lads can see it, hope it helps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

nbaki82 - Thanks for that neteller looks like a great option too. free deposit by wire and only 1.75% from credit/debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

Hi Mullo76

Was the money transferred straight away into your account?

havent transferred the cash yet, hadnt a chance. I believe that it takes 5 days to hit your ac by wire but that credit card is straightaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

Sorry i thought after reading this bit you had done that already
    'Wired money in today and ready to go'

will look at it more.

coco06 wrote: »
    Sorry i thought after reading this bit you had done that already
    'Wired money in today and ready to go'

will look at it more.

Oops my mistake. I started doing it and had to stop before finished and havent gotten back to it, was putting it through same time I typed that.:o

sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

Is their receiving account in a German bank only, or do they have accounts in several countries?

I ask because one's own bank might have charges for remitting to a foreign bank

andy0 wrote: »
    Is their receiving account in a German bank only, or do they have accounts in several countries?

German only as far as I know. To be honest for the small amnts I will be loading for flights the 3% for using credit card to load wouldnt make any diff.

Have a look at the netteller option too looks to be good but havent had time to research more.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

Mullo76 wrote: »
    Have a look at the netteller option too looks to be good but havent had time to research more.

It looks interesting at first glance, but it doesn't help it was introduced by someone spamming it all over the place (including being deleted from comments on a newspaper article)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

andy0 wrote: »

They used to, but now payment needs to be direct to your Wirecard Account in Germany.

If you have a Euro account in the Eurozone, standard cross-border payments within the Eurozone must cost the same as a domestic payment.

(Ulsterbank charge 51 eurocent. note: express/same day payments may be considerably more)

I would avoid loading any more than about €300 per transfer as it may be subject to delays while extra security checks are made. There is also an annual maximum on the virtual card of €2500. Shouldn't be an issue if soley used for flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

this is great news !!!
    I found some negative comments on "neteller" so maybe hold off and see.. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=27780381

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Hey lads,

Hope you all had a great christmas and hopefully we'll all have a happy new year as Spurs fans!!

I've just been wandering the web, and noticed Aer Lingus have a sale. It costs €19.99 to fly from Dublin to London anytime between now and March 24th - The returning flight isn't as good a deal, but you'll still get it fairly cheap! €53 i think it was for a return flight over 2 days in feb. Bear in mind, you must book before the 18th of January!!

I'm thinking of going over for my first visit to WHL (thinking Villa on the 6th Feb) based on this alone (I'm a cheap fecker!), but I thought it would be good to share the news with you lads in case anybody didn't know.

Spider_Baby!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement