Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I get the best sound??

• 03-12-2009 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭

Hello All

I have a surround system connected to the tv with both a hdmi cable and a optical cable.

I was just wondering which way is best to get digital sound :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Depends on the decoder.

Using co-axial/optical, the absolute best you can get is 1.5Mbit/s from DTS, with HDMI, you the best you can get is DTS MA at 24.5Mbit/s.

What decoder have you got?

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

nereid wrote: »
    Depends on the decoder.

Using co-axial/optical, the absolute best you can get is 1.5Mbit/s from DTS, with HDMI, you the best you can get is DTS MA at 24.5Mbit/s.

What decoder have you got?

L.

Hi nereid

By decoder do you mean the make of the home system ? , if so its a Samsung Z310.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

The best sound that the z310 can decode is plain 5.1 DTS (probably ~6Kbit/s) provided that the disc you are playing has a dts soundtrack.

In order for you to hear the best sound from your equipment, you should use the speakers provided by the z310 as opposed to the ones in your TV. I.e. you should connect the z310 to the TV via HDMI, but this will only carry video signals - not audio.

You can probably output the audio from your TV or STB via the red/white audio RCA jacks into one of the inputs on the z310 and have it convert it into psuedo surround using Dolby Pro Logic II, or even decode Dolby Prologic direct if the program is broadcast using it (e.g. the Simpsons).

Not sure if this is the answer you were looking for, but hope you can gain some extra use from the setup.

L.

nereid wrote: »
    In order for you to hear the best sound from your equipment, you should use the speakers provided by the z310 as opposed to the ones in your TV. I.e. you should connect the z310 to the TV via HDMI, but this will only carry video signals - not audio.

I always thought hdmi could transfer audio ? maybe I am wrong in this.

I did have the red and white cables but replaced these with an optical cable, I was just wondering which connection provided the best sound hdmi or optical , but if hdmi can't transmit audio the optical cable is my only outlet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Barr wrote: »
    I always thought hdmi could transfer audio ? maybe I am wrong in this.

I did have the red and white cables but replaced these with an optical cable, I was just wondering which connection provided the best sound hdmi or optical , but if hdmi can't transmit audio the optical cable is my only outlet.

I have an Xbox 360 connected to my TV via HDMI and it does carry audio. According to the Wikipedia entry HDMI can carry up to eight audio channels:
    HDMI supports, on a single cable, any TV or PC video format, including standard, enhanced, and high-definition video; up to 8 channels of digital audio
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi

But according to the specs for the Z310, it does not have HDMI input and the main audio input seems to be vie RCA
    plugs: http://www.samsung.com/nz/consumer/tv-audio-video/home-theatre/home-theatre-systems/HT-Z310T/XSA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=spec&fullspec=F

The specs also say it does not have an optical input.

• Advertisement

My model defo does have an optical connection (using it at the moment ) :)

I just realised from reading the specs it does not have hdmi input so I cant use this source anyway.

I always thought a hdmi connection could be used for both output and input :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

Use HDMI to your TV, this will bring the best picture & sound. if you want to watch films on it, use the speakers of the home cinema system rather than your tv (just turn the TV down, and the home cinema system up)

what else are you trying to connect to it?

big_moe wrote: »
    Use HDMI to your TV, this will bring the best picture & sound. if you want to watch films on it, use the speakers of the home cinema system rather than your tv (just turn the TV down, and the home cinema system up)

what else are you trying to connect to it?

The only other thing that will be connected is a HD FTA box that has an optical and hdmi connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

ok, then hook the HD FTA box to the TV directly with HDMI, and put an optical connection from the FTA box to the home cinema system. that'll give the best sound & picture

Advertisement