Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vienna Instruments

Options
  • 03-12-2009 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭

Someone over on the music production board was asking about orchestral music on the computer. I pointed him to vienna instruments and thought some people here might be impressed with it. A link to stravinsky's rite of on vienna instruments. Tis a long way from cheesy midi of yester year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3njyDW8SY

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

VSL is a very impressive programme alright. Very useful for composers who can't get their pieces performed/recorded. Can be quite expensive though!

They do need to work more on the voices though. Saying that, its a far better sound than Sibelius! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I've been a VSL nerd for years. I use their old kontakt samples and have a few collections from their Vienna instruments collection. They are by miles the best instrumental samples in the world. A great investment (although i'm presently trying to sell a few of mine on that i don't use anymore) to anyone interested in hearing what their compositions sound like. Really incredible.

I actually worked with Jay Bacal (the guy who programmed the rite of spring you here above) on a project before. Great guy. Incredible musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Played a minute of this for a friend and a minute of Karajan's recording with the BPO. At a guess, he said that the Karajan was the MIDI recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

That says a lot about Karajan as a conductor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

They may have been off in the 30's when it came to predicting flying cars but Huxley may have got it right in a Brave New World when he talked about generated music. Pair VI up with an AI composer and play after a recording of a mozart piece. I'd say the average person couldn't tell which was computer generated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Not a hope theyll tell the difference if it's properly done. Especially in a typical stereo system.

Advertisement