Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-130 Endeavour 6/2/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

RPM of Endeavour prior to docking.

Docking.

Time lapse of Endeavour through RPM & Docking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

lord lucan wrote: »
    Always great to se the incabin view!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

ynotdu wrote: »
    Well thanks for the thought Beeker,most annoying thing is i was awake but in transport:mad:
    Yeah we missed you lively banter my friend!:D

Beeker wrote: »
    Always great to se the incabin view!

The crew looked like they were having fun,looked like a bunch of kids after MECO,letting stuff float around the cabin.:):)

The crew looked like they were having fun,looked like a bunch of kids after MECO,letting stuff float around the cabin.:):)
    Once again a famous Monty Python saying comes to mind...................."lucky, lucky basta**s":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Trotter wrote: »
    I showed my 6th class the launch on the screen in school and they've been obsessed with shuttles and space flight ever since. Its been a long 2 days!! A new batch of space nerds is born :D

That was a good thing You done,They will either be grateful to You for sparking their interest or when the time comes hacksaw through your zimmerframe!:)

If it is possible You might like to tune into NASA TV as the Solar Dynamic Obseratory is due for launch at 23 minutes past three Thursday.
    It has a one hour 'Launch window'{thats a real luxury,a Shuttle is lucky to get 10 minutes}
    Weather is predicted to allow a 60% chance of Launch. its purpose is to predict Space weather in the same way we see Meteosats images every day on TV.

Space weather is important to Mobile phone,Military,TV satelites and even shortwave radio.The increased levels of radiation from a Solar flare could in theory also expose People in Space to such dangerous levels that a planned manned mission could be aborted,at an extreme evacucation of the international Space Station could be ordered.

If nothing else a Solar flare has been known to make the 'Northern Lights' viewable all over Ireland!:)

alexmcleod wrote: »
    Shuttle docking

picture3ua.th.jpg

Greetings and Waves

picture9s.th.jpg

Arrival photo

picture10r.th.jpg

Apologies for the low quality

Hey Alex,Thank You.imagine you feeling the need to apologise for 'low quality' pictures from space:eek:,I repeat from Space!:)
    imagine all the famous Astronomors that would have died to see even one of them.!:)

• Advertisement

Nice one LL,feel sorry for the Commandor and pilot though!FOUR back seat drivers!:eek:,

I managed to see some great video live from the Shuttles flight deck and then the Terminal Inititiation burn {in NASA speak}they used the left OME.s but unlike 128 NO ripple across the screen happened{that was a sight to see!}

The unbroken coverage was very rare as the Shuttle aimed its camera's at the ISS when they first spotted it,Again when the ISS Camera's turned on the Shuttle it went from a tiny speck to the point of being able to make out it's wings.

after the TIB another orbit of 90 minutes was to take place which i just could not watch.The Shuttle Astronauts were to take manual control at 1000 feet below the ISS,the Rendevous pitch was to take place at 600 feet below and guide it to the 'soft docking' which to my surprise allows them a 3 inch margin of error by the capture devices before the 'hard dock'{or in an extreme allows for an abort}Once soft docked all the latch's and airsealing devices are operational within two minutes.

What am i going to do with this knowledge after 133?????:(:(:(

Beautiful ISS/Endeavour pass this morning at 07:04. Clear sky....fantastic, what a way to start a day:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Amazing what I've learned this week simply by having to answer questions from the kids in the class. I think I'm officially a junior shuttle nerd myself.. about 50 STS flights too late.

The replacement system for when the shuttle programme is finished seems... boring!! Am I right that the Americans will go towards the capsule system like the Russians?

The replacement system for when the shuttle programme is finished seems... boring!! Am I right that the Americans will go towards the capsule system like the Russians?

That was the idea with the Constellation programme which was to have been the successor to the Shuttle programme. They were proposing the Ares system,one being the rocket to bring crews to space in a capsule mounted on top called Orion and also an Ares Heavy Lifter which would bring larger loads/satellites etc into orbit.

Sadly that programme has bit the dust following a review by the Obama administration and they're looking at Commercial operators to come in and provide means of getting to space. The future looks pretty bleak for NASA.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Beautiful ISS/Endeavour pass this morning at 07:04. Clear sky....fantastic, what a way to start a day:D

:D...am def gettin up earlier tomorrow morning..

EVA 1 well under way. The Tranquility module is now docked to the station.:)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20465.0;attach=199101;imageindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=20465.0;attach=199177;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20465.0;attach=199201;imageindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=20465.0;attach=199211;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20465.0;attach=199221;imageindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=20465.0;attach=199231;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20465.0;attach=199418;image

• Advertisement

Great work on the EVA,they make it look so easy!:)

Great work on the EVA,they make it look so easy!:)
    The sure do, of course this is the last of the major EVA's in station assembly.

65065857.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Quick question.. Say the tranquility module weighs 1000Kg on earth. Would the robotic arm need to have a lifting strength of 1000kg regardless of zero G in space?

Tranquility isnt going to break off the arm at any point, but the concept of lifting in space always makes me wonder whether it would be a similar hydraulic system as on earth or is there some other setup that takes advantage of the weightlessness in whats being moved?

The sure do, of course this is the last of the major EVA's in station assembly.

once again guys thanks for posting those pics to save for posterity,or at least for as long as boards is around.although there are alternative sites for viewing previous flights they disappear rapidly in my experiance.

Yep Beaker by the end of this mission the ISS will be 98% complete according to NASA.Personally my favourite bit of all would be cupola if i was aboard it!as the countdown continues to the sad day when 133 lands there are only eight more EVA's planned.

much as we were all shocked by Augustine's report and expected really bad news,well Augustine had suggested a few sweetners,possible goal of landing on an asteroid and other interesting interim goals.
    I knew i liked NASA,I did not realise i LOVED it,call me crazy but the fact that it was mainly manned by employee's who LOVED their jobs,not the military and not private sector 'quick buck' merchants meant a lot.When obama chose the destruction of NASA except for its name he 'Thread on my dreams'!.I could not believe the 'downer'it put me on.

Bolden took an hour out on the day of the first attempt to brief the press.
    there was a lot of 'mea culpa's' by him.He apologised for taking his advisors for granted.He said in his meetings with employee's sure to loose their jobs that he was not going to say he understood how they felt because unlike many of them his two children were fully grown and independant.
    He was asked why so many existing Astronauts had given their notice to which he replied they just did not see the 'fun' of six month flights aboard the ISS.He said straight out that he expects the private companies to bring their HQ's to KSC and JSC,and if he could would insist on it.He thinks in the mediam term he can save 1700 jobs as the budget provides for the run-down of what would have been constellation as well as upgrades to KSC&JSC.

He said flights by Soyuz to the ISS are booked until 2013 after which he hopes he may have an alternative launch vehicle:confused::confused::confused:{yeah right!}

anyways sorry for rambling a bit,but was not going to post a one line post on about 8 diffrient threads.

Quick question.. Say the tranquility module weighs 1000Kg on earth. Would the robotic arm need to have a lifting strength of 1000kg regardless of zero G in space?

Tranquility isnt going to break off the arm at any point, but the concept of lifting in space always makes me wonder whether it would be a similar hydraulic system as on earth or is there some other setup that takes advantage of the weightlessness in whats being moved?

This link and the links to Canadarm2 should be of help Trotter:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadarm

on Earth they cannot even lift their own weight! Lol

In Orbit the Module has no weight but it still has mass so the arm is quite capable of moving or lifting a large object. The problem is stopping it once you get it moving because in space you have no air resistence and a large mass once moving will want to keep moving. Thats why they move everything sooooooooo slowly around the Shuttle and station, its so they can stop the objects without much force.

STS-130 had a day extension,she won't land back at KSC until 03.24 on the morning of February 22nd.

Replays of Endeavours launch from cameras on the SRB's.

• Advertisement

And part 2.

Advertisement