Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-130 Endeavour 6/2/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Great thread! Haven't a clue what your on about here tho, whats an OPF, whats a VAB, whats an ET&SRB and whats 39a?:eek:

Hiya rccaulfield

To answer your question(s) , have a look here , hope it helps :D

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/technology/sts-newsref/stsover-acronyms.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

ynotdu wrote: »
    I will look after her Beeker while you are away and just like LL thought it was Mrs Lucan texting him updates from spaceflight now on 129, I will be actually be the one texting!!!!!!

PS are your pillows softer than LL,s ?:D
    :D:D:DOnce its just my pillows that are soft I'm ok!!:D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Stargate wrote: »
    Well Beeker, play it clever , why not suggest a winter holiday break for 2 somewhere in the sun ;) ........... then come up with a once in a lifetime suggestion :eek: ...........oh i know where !!!! How about Florida :P:P in Feb 2010

Problem solved BeeKer

( and no ynotdu a hoiliday break for 2 dosent mean you and Beeker :p )
    Oh I have tried that many times!:D

Beeker wrote: »
    Oh I have tried that many times!:D

LoL Beeker you must be losing your powers of persuasion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Hiya rccaulfield

To answer your question(s) , have a look here , hope it helps :D

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/technology/sts-newsref/stsover-acronyms.html

Thanks- whats 39a? I think its important to keep posts on this subject user friendly for kids and well the slow like me:D

• Advertisement

Thanks- whats 39a? I think its important to keep posts on this subject user friendly for kids and well the slow like me:D

LoL rccaulfield , have a look here and see what 39A and 39B are :D

http://shuttle.ksc.nasa.gov/facilities/lc39a.html

Launch Pad 39-A, site of most Space Shuttle launches and all the Moon landing launches. Holy ground:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Great thread! Haven't a clue what your on about here tho, whats an OPF, whats a VAB, whats an ET&SRB and whats 39a?:eek:

The most common acronyms used on here would be:

OPF = Orbiter processing facility,where the Shuttles are processed after returning from a mission and prepared for the next one.

VAB = Vehicle Assembly Building,the huge building at KSC where the Shuttle is brought to be mated with the ET & SRB's.

KSC = Kennedy space center. Lol.

ET = External Tank,the giant fuel tank mounted to the belly of the shuttle between the 2 SRB's.

SRB's = Solid Rocket Boosters,the 2 boosters mounted alongside the external tank. They provide the main thrust for lift off and are jettisoned after 2 minutes of flight.

MLP = Mobile launch platform,the huge platform that the shuttle,it's external tank and boosters are mounted on. It's designed to be moved from the VAB to the launch pad where it rests on a series of supports above the flame trench.

39a = Launch pad 39a. There's 2 launch pads at the launch complex 39,39a and 39b. 39b is no longer in use by the shuttle programme,just 39a left now.

RSS = Rotating service structure,a large structure mounted on the launch pad that swings over and covers the shuttle while it sits on the launch pad. It's moved back from the shuttle the day before launch.

SSME's = Space shuttle main engines,the 3 large engines on the rear of the shuttle.

OMS = Orbital maneuvering system,smaller engines that allow the shuttle to change it's orbit/trajectory.

Anymore,just ask. Even the explanation of the acronym often doesn't explain what it is,hope that helps.

Launch Pad 39-A, site of most Space Shuttle launches and all the Moon landing launches. Holy ground:)

Holy Ground Indeed Beeker ;)

lord lucan wrote: »

OPF = Orbiter processing facility,where the Shuttles are processed after returning from a mission and prepared for the next one.

VAB = Vehicle Assembly Building,the huge building at KSC where the Shuttle is brought to be mated with the ET & SRB's.

ET = External Tank,the giant fuel tank mounted to the belly of the shuttle between the 2 SRB's.

SRB's = Solid Rocket Boosters,the 2 boosters mounted alongside the external tank. They provide the main thrust for lift off and are jettisoned after 2 minutes of flight.

MLP = Mobile launch platform,the huge platform that the shuttle,it's external tank and boosters are mounted on. It's designed to be moved from the VAB to the launch pad where it rests on a series of supports above the flame trench.

39a = Launch pad 39a. There's 2 launch pads at the launch complex 39,39a and 39b. 39b is no longer in use by the shuttle programme,just 39a left now.

RSS = Rotating service structure,a large structure mounted on the launch pad that swings over and covers the shuttle while it sits on the launch pad. It's moved back from the shuttle the day before launch.

SSME's = Space shuttle main engines,the 3 large engines on the rear of the shuttle.

OMS = Orbital maneuvering system,smaller engines that allow the shuttle to change it's orbit/trajectory.

Anymore,just ask. Even the explanation of the acronym often doesn't explain what it is,hope that helps.

LL did you miss MECO or is that only when your OH lets you out to smoke :p

• Advertisement

You forgot PON..........Pack of Nerds:D At least thats what the wife calls us!

You forgot PON..........Pack of Nerds:D At least thats what the wife calls us!

lol Beeker , or PONR Point Of No Return :D

Hey we should get everyone to post a pic and we could get to see the nerdyness lol :p

LL did you miss MECO or is that only when your OH lets you out to smoke :p

I actually did forget it.:o

MECO = Main engine cut off,roughly 10 minutes after launch the shuttle is in space and turns off its main engines and the external fuel tank is jettisoned.:)

A couple of interesting pics showing repair of the TPS (Thermal protection system) tiles underneath an orbiter. This is from Atlantis.
    2009-6811-m.jpg
    2009-6810-m.jpg

Here's all the entries for the STS patch contest that i mentioned earlier in the thread. Some good ones and some hilariously bad ones!:)

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/413420main_patches_contest.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

:D:D:DOnce its just my pillows that are soft I'm ok!!:D:D:D

Ah we will get You a mini SOLID rocket booster for a standby :D

I notice You were clevour enough to say pad 39A was used for all the Apollo actual moonLANDINGS(did not give Me a chance to catch ya out:D!)Apollo 10 Mission insignia
    201px-Apollo-10-LOGO.png Mission statistics[1] Mission name Apollo 10 Command Module CM-106
    callsign Charlie Brown
    mass 28,830 kg Service Module SM-106 Lunar Module LM-4
    callsign Snoopy
    mass 13,941 kg Crew size 3 Booster Saturn V SA-505 Launch pad LC 39B
    Kennedy Space Center
    Florida, USA Launch date May 18, 1969
    16:49:00 UTC Total CSM time in lunar orbit 2 d 13 h 37 m 23 s Landing May 26, 1969
    16:52:23 UTC
    18px-Erioll_world.svg.png15°2′S 164°39′W / 15.033°S 164.65°W / -15.033; -164.65 (Apollo 10 splashdown) Mission duration 8 d 00 h 03 m 23 s Crew photo

WHY IS ACRONYM such a long word:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's not as long as term used to describe the error of folk referring to the "ATM" as the "ATM machine".:)

Malty_T wrote: »
    It's not as long as term used to describe the error of folk referring to the "ATM" as the "ATM machine".:)

Lol lol lol Malty!

Henceforth acronym should be known as an ANYM.;)

• Advertisement

Ah we will get You a mini SOLID rocket booster for a standby :D

I notice You were clevour enough to say pad 39A was used for all the Apollo actual moonLANDINGS(did not give Me a chance to catch ya out:D!)Apollo 10 Mission insignia
    201px-Apollo-10-LOGO.png Mission statistics[1] Mission name Apollo 10 Command Module CM-106
    callsign Charlie Brown
    mass 28,830 kg Service Module SM-106 Lunar Module LM-4
    callsign Snoopy
    mass 13,941 kg Crew size 3 Booster Saturn V SA-505 Launch pad LC 39B
    Kennedy Space Center
    Florida, USA Launch date May 18, 1969
    16:49:00 UTC Total CSM time in lunar orbit 2 d 13 h 37 m 23 s Landing May 26, 1969
    16:52:23 UTC
    18px-Erioll_world.svg.png15°2′S 164°39′W / 15.033°S 164.65°W / -15.033; -164.65 (Apollo 10 splashdown) Mission duration 8 d 00 h 03 m 23 s Crew photo
    :D:D:D Oh yeah I have to watch every word now that you are waiting to catch me:D:D:D

Endeavour due to roll out to pad 39A Wednesday starting at 09:00 Irish time. Launch planned for Feb 7 at 09:39 Irish time.
    410201maincrew160080060.jpg

Endeavour due to roll out to pad 39A Wednesday starting at 09:00 Irish time. Launch planned for Feb 7 at 09:39 Irish time.

Bring it on!!:D:D

Bring it on!!:D:D

Tsssssssskkkkkkkkkkkk dont ya mean 'roll it out'?:D

The lack of updates from NASA over xmas was a taster of what it will be like when the STS is history:(

If the 135 gets the go ahead people are REALLY going to think i'm crazy.How many times now have we said there's only five left?:o:o:o:D

:D:D:D Oh yeah I have to watch every word now that you are waiting to catch me:D:D:D

:D:D:D

Tsssssssskkkkkkkkkkkk dont ya mean 'roll it out'?:D

The lack of updates from NASA over xmas was a taster of what it will be like when the STS is history:(

If the 135 gets the go ahead people are REALLY going to think i'm crazy.How many times now have we said there's only five left?:o:o:o:D

Lol,i've never been so excited about a roll out before!:D

I was thinking the same thing about what it will be like when she's retired,i'll be re-reading these threads with tears in my eyes!:(

On her way........
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=19996.0;attach=192074;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=19996.0;attach=192084;image

Burn Baby Burn.............................:):):)

Passing the 39 Launch complex viewing site.
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=19996.0;attach=192170;image

• Advertisement

Morning light in Florida now showing Endeavour rolling on towards 39A....1mph

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=19996.0;attach=192204;image

Advertisement