Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ZEITGEIST

• 03-12-2009 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Hey all
    Sorry if this has been up before, probly has...
    i cudnt find it with a search though.

I watched it last night, I'd never heard of it before, Really interesting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

All very good films, although The Zeitgeist always struck me as being a bit odd in it's presentation. It's a good film, but it really is just a collection of already existing information to some degree plus that Peter Joseph guy gives me the creeps.
    I must dig out some links for other films myself.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

try kymatica one of my favourites. i think you get it easy enough on google video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

I prefer Zeitgeist : Addendum than Zeitgeist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    I prefer Zeitgeist : Addendum than Zeitgeist

Yup it contains only slightly less rubbish than the original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

meglome wrote: »
    Yup it contains only slightly less rubbish than the original.

That's really a matter of opinion.
    I'm not a big fan of Zeitgeist myself but I don't feel compelled to be so dismissive of it.
    One positive thing I could say about it is that it makes you think.
    I don't have any time for the Zeitgeist movement or their leaders, but there's a lot of people who seem to see something in it. I suppose in that way it's a bit like religion.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

nullzero wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of Zeitgeist myself but I don't feel compelled to be so dismissive of it.
    Same, I think the presentation is sound, but the solutions they propose are unfathomable in the system they discredit.
    One positive thing I could say about it is that it makes you think.
    Indeed it does. But who are we to question the system man?!! The system that gave us such hits as "the corrupt politician", "the war for resources" and my personal favorite - "the starving children". Complete nonsense altogether. A movie that questions the monetary/economic system, congressional lobbying and social progress under this system? Laughable.

"Well what do you suggest as an alternative?" is the usual question when faced with such traitorous propaganda. The reality is, that both the poster that questions the content of the docco (Attendum in this case) and the poster that is interested in the docco, never entertained the thought of another system in place. Never gave much of a thought to whom the current system might be hurting.

We can suggest alternatives until we are blue in the face or run out of them, but argue the content of the presentation ffs. Convince us how its untrue.

Its brilliantly laid out, and if you do care to watch Attendum and turn it off before they suggest an alternative, then come back and argue the facts and content of the film, I'd be surprised.

Hint: quantify why this film contains "slightly less rubbish than the original".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Heres a single subject that the presentation(s) focuses on briefly: Automation.
    In the alternative "resource based economy" they propose full automation in industry and production.
    Thats all very well, but think of how that applies now in industry and the current and future system. I am not campaigning for the zeitgeist alternative, I'm simply pointing out something.

The system in place at the moment, in regards to economic sustainability:
    4c522.jpg
    Fairly simple. When automation controversially started removing the workforce from jobs that could be done by robotics like in the car industry there was uproar. The drive to do this by companies was to reduce overheads, cut production time and maximize profit with nary a thought given to the workforce. Not very ethical by any means but thats not my point. Technology moved forward.

If the automation model was to be applied to everything in industry, like that car manufacturer, cadbury's chocolate factory or Intel's microchip division then you are cutting out the employee out of that graph above and the system fails when it comes to the industrial sector. The employees loose their jobs, cannot utilize their talents for profit and many are left unemployed and do not contribute much to the sustainability except those who collect other sector employees taxpayers money on dole day.

What technology (and greed) has done, albeit in a small sense, is subtract from the current sustainability and thats where you notice a problem with the system. The industrial employee is not contributing to the system or consuming. And the funny thing is, this all came about under the current system. Technological advancement and profit in this case are traitors to the system.

Another example would be, if the property and construction monopoly ran out of land, in the Isle of Man or somewhere smaller, the only thing thats left is the resale of houses, or demolition/re-zoning. The construction sector in that area is basically non-existent and those employees become, like many in Ireland's construction sector have become - Non consumers/contributers. For an undetermined amount of time. Except in our case we still have plenty of land and a lot of unsold/empty properties. You throw enough shite into the engine and will eventually seize up.

But thats just the way it is. Also, whats the conspiracy?

Flamed Diving made an excellent thread here, and ZM'ed himself in his last post on the thread:
    Ah right. Perhaps I should have put it like this.

"A new world has been discovered and we are designing the financial system from scratch"

I just want to see what people would do with a blank slate. So not only are we not burning to the foundations. We are actually building foundations for the first time. What would you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

nullzero wrote: »

No, it is a matter of fact. His analysis of how a banking system works is something a 1st year undergrad economics student would cringe at. I truely mean that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭aurelius79

Zeitgeist is a scam. It's goal is to keep people from taking action against the state while waiting for some miracle to enable them to create this utopian society. It's a joke and anyone who follows it really needs to wake up. There are things you should be doing right now to change the world, not waiting for a sci-fi crackpot to build some magical city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

However much the practicality's of the Venus Project seem impossible, people need to realize that the implementation of such a utopia just doesn't happen over night. He clearly states that the idea is not to build a Utopian society; that is perfection; nothing is perfect but wouldn't while striving to build such a society be far greater that the current system anyway?

Sure we just gave 80 billion to the banks and now work for them for the next 50 years because of that. This is what the film uncovers (addendum); our slave driving system where paid slaves work to pay off a debt that is never supposed to be paid off; thats the idea. Running on a hamster wheel, powering the people at the top of the wealth scale; dying without ever living a day in the life.

All I can say to the people who say this is all rubbish is that you are just been ignorant. I've been ignorant long enough and now hope that my thinking patterns, along with many others is the revival of the human spirit, which has been smothered for the past few centuries by various poisons such as greed, religion and hunger. I only bid you farewell and hope that you find happiness in your pursuit of future predictions and the movie scripts worked out in your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

No, it is a matter of fact. His analysis of how a banking system works is something a 1st year undergrad economics student would cringe at. I truely mean that.

You think the entire films rubbish just because he didnt explain the banking system correctly ?

I honestly dont know if he explained it right or not... he did mention it was over-simplified for all of us dumbasses without degress in ecnomics you know :rolleyes:

I dont really care much for the details of the film. The general idea the film is getting at is sound, which is basically in a nutshell - the big corporations, corrupt politians, the rich....etc just really care for their own well being regardless of the consequences of their actions. I see this everyday.... And if anyone denies this they are living in la la land.

Heres another few, incase you havent heard of them already...

37 minutes in and I've learned nothing.. Thumbs down for this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

esoteric agenda!scary stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer

"Lucifer is a Latin word (from the words lucem ferre), literally meaning "light-bearer", which in that language is used as a name for the dawn appearance of the planet Venus, heralding daylight. Use of the word in this sense is uncommon in English, in which "Day Star" or "Morning Star" are more common expressions."

The Venus Project aka The Lucifer Project aka The Devil Project? :D

I still liked Zeitgeist for the info on banking and the monetary system.It was my first introduction to the money scam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Yeah, cos those economics Graduates have been doing such a Stellar job so far.

so I take it you can Explain to us where he is wrong??

Yeah, cos those economics Graduates have been doing such a Stellar job so far.
    That's like blaming Aids on nurses.

Well the economy is man made so the nurses should know how to administer the right medicines at this stage.
    Its a scam and it isnt going to change until the majority wake up to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

thats a bit of a stretch now init

Its more like the Mechanics on a Ship, the captain steers it the Engine room Keeps the enging going, we put our faith in teh People on the bridge to know where they're going and the people in the engine room with the degrees to keep the engine running Smoothely, to Fix it If it Breaks, to maintain it and understand when its not working right cos if it stops we all sink together.

Instead we got a bunch of greasy little Boyracers who'd managed to make a lifeboat for themselves, they got bored just checkin the oil level etc on the engine, to aleviate this boredom the gambled on which gauge would rise or fall first etc......... they then invented a game to see how high they could rev the Engine before it exploded

and they got real good at that, and the captain said WAHEEEY we're makin great speed, keep doing that its workin a treat, SO they did.

and thats why we're stranded in teh middle of the straits of Oh Fu(k in a sinkin ship watchin the Mechanics Scarper

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Pixel8

It's strange how anyone can argue with the basic point Zeitgeist is trying to get across about the banking system, that it's unbelievably corrupt.

If you need more reasons to believe this then look at the new Money Masters documentary The Secret Of Oz which explains everything about the history of money to where we are now, better than any college economics lesson and much more thorough than Addendum:

Someone posted it here before, amazing documentary:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055854748

• Advertisement
Advertisement