Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary Teaching - UK

• 03-12-2009 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

hi, ive recently found out the post grad in primary teaching isnt being offered anymore, so ive had to change plans.
    anyone know about the UK route. im thinking of going to scotland.

what irish exam do u sit when you return from uk? if you have honours irish do you sit an exam, or do you go straight into teaching?

thanks.
    anyone done the uk route before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

kueef wrote: »
    hi, ive recently found out the post grad in primary teaching isnt being offered anymore

Em, YES IT IS!!!!!
    Number are just reduced this year, but it's defo going ahead, as is the Hibernia route.

Can't help you on the UK route, but just wanted to make sure you were aware that the Irish option IS still available
    Oh, & regardless of having Honours Irish, you still have to do SCG or OCG when you come back from studying in UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yeah, Mary I are taking in 60 people. Not sure about Pats. And there's always Hibernia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭kueef

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    Em, YES IT IS!!!!!
    Number are just reduced this year, but it's defo going ahead, as is the Hibernia route.

Can't help you on the UK route, but just wanted to make sure you were aware that the Irish option IS still available
    Oh, & regardless of having Honours Irish, you still have to do SCG or OCG when you come back from studying in UK

oh rite, i was told that no aplication forms were to be released.
    the uk route may be more realistic in getting a place. i can only imagine them reducing the number of places again next year.

how long does that scg/ocg course take? and wats involved, thanks;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭kueef

janeybabe wrote: »
    Yeah, Mary I are taking in 60 people. Not sure about Pats. And there's always Hibernia.
    thanks. not really enthuastic about hibernia. id prefer a full time college course. Mary I was my first choice really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Check here for details of how to get an application form.

Closing date for receipt of applications is 16th December.

I have been told that all applicants will be interviewed but I am not sure whether that is true or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Caprisun

the benefit of going the Uk route is that the course is only 1 year long as appposed to the Irish 18 months.

having taught in both countries I would say that the level of planning in the uk far exceeds that in Ireland. If your intention was to come back here to teach you'd breeze by in your dip year (your examined by someone from the dept on your teaching in your first year out, its a full year of note writing and planning that every teacher has to do)

the downside to the uk is that you will have to do the irish course. Ive known people who've done their degree in Irish and still weren't exempt from it.
    this course is a year long and is mainly project based. reports from people i know who are doing it is that its not that bad.

basically it looks like this:

UK benefits:
    shorter postgrad year, imo better planning skills, and due to the fact that the irish course is another qualification you'll be slightly further up the pay scale

Ireland benefits:
    not having to do the irish course. It may also be easier to find a job in ireland as your coming into an interview only needing to do your dip and not both the dip and irish course.

a relative of mine is currently a post grad teacher. He scored a whopping 157 out of 160 in the interview. if you'd like some of his tips for it pm me

Advertisement