Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you affiliate an mma club?

Options
  • 03-12-2009 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Just wondering how do you become a recognised mma club in ireland?
    I know to start up a boxing club you just call the IABA fill out some forms pay 500euro for insurance and thats it!(and be a registered coach also)
    Is there an mma body/association that one could call??
    Its not something im planning to do, but theres only so much rolling/trainning with mates in your garage you can do. Its nearly time to bring it up a level, you always hear in interviews about these pro fighters that started in there shed with a friend and a gracie dvd to the level they are now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

There is no affiliation but if your just training in your shed then ya should try find a club to hone your skills and get your techniques perfected, DVD's cant tell you if your doing techniques wrong..

After that if you where to set up a club and want to be respected and dealt with i'd reccommend you get some fights under your belt as more about the sport is learned by fighting than anything..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

The more i read about mma the more im looking forward to start training, gonna have a criac at it after christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭peter p

cowzerp wrote: »
    There is no affiliation but if your just training in your shed then ya should try find a club to hone your skills and get your techniques perfected, DVD's cant tell you if your doing techniques wrong..

After that if you where to set up a club and want to be respected and dealt with i'd reccommend you get some fights under your belt as more about the sport is learned by fighting than anything..
    Yes, Totally agree there with you about everything you said, which leads me on to another question.

if i wanted to fight but was not in a known club (which i wouldnt by the way because id get killed) how would i go about gettin a bout?

Ive found out that a few clubs are going to open in the new year in my area so im gonna try them and hopefully whenever they think im ready get a fight.

Fracture wrote: »
    The more i read about mma the more im looking forward to start training, gonna have a criac at it after christmas.

Best of luck mate. ive got my first legite BJJ class 2nite. Only found out there was a club near me 2 days ago. Plus they do muay thai on mondays which i cant wait for. But after xmas im goin to try take my trainnin up a notch. Office jobs just aint doin it for me anymore! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

just wondering how old you guys are, im 26 an have flirted with the idea of fighting, but i always seem to think to myself im to old and that the fact i have an office job that icouldn't come into work with black eyes and so on, maybe i just dont have the guts and use this as an excuses were im sure if i was 20 again id be well up for it and putting in the effort, i did bjj and loved it but broke a hand playing footy,its taking 3 months to heal so far and i still dont have full movement but i'll be back rolling in january,

• Advertisement

just wondering how old you guys are, im 26 an have flirted with the idea of fighting, but i always seem to think to myself im to old and that the fact i have an office job that icouldn't come into work with black eyes and so on, maybe i just dont have the guts and use this as an excuses were im sure if i was 20 again id be well up for it and putting in the effort, i did bjj and loved it but broke a hand playing footy,its taking 3 months to heal so far and i still dont have full movement but i'll be back rolling in january,
    im 27 now, married with 3 kids and a dog. so regarding age, i dont think its too much of a factor if you put the work in. i always say "randy couture didnt start mma till he was 33" (although he was a savage wrestler and athlete before hand)

Your never too old to follow your dream! ive boxed since i was 12 so im no stranger to the 1 on 1 unarmed combat situation but mma is another universe in comparison. 1 thing i want to do before i die is fight in a cage(ever since ufc29) and i wont let my age get in the way of that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

peter p wrote: »
    if i wanted to fight but was not in a known club (which i wouldnt by the way because id get killed) how would i go about gettin a bout?

The MMA league is your friend. There is an event in Galway in January. Amateur bouts, 1 fight is 5 minutes. You get 2 on the day. I might see ya there:D

A lad who posts here Mark LEonard runs it, he may pop on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

The MMA league is your friend.

This is the way forward!

The MMA league is your friend. There is an event in Galway in January. Amateur bouts, 1 fight is 5 minutes. You get 2 on the day. I might see ya there:D

A lad who posts here Mark LEonard runs it, he may pop on here.

That sounds brilliant! so i may forget about xmas, and start up a trainning camp 2moro lol. but seriously it could be good craic. defo think about going if i was eligible. il keep an eye on the forum for that 1. tnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭juijitsu black

YO, you havent said where you are located. If you are interested in MMA Id say from personal experiance, go to Jhon Kavanagh's BJJ club in Dublin, Paul Cowzers RUSH club North Dublin, Ropers Club in Dublin, Marty Walkers Antrim, Jascon Mccabe Derry, and a club in Galway, cant remember the name or look it up as im at work..(sorry).. All these guys cover Every aspect off MMA!! and are great coaches and people who will point you in the right dorection. Apart from this there is no board, Affiliation etc. Ive been in touch with a few sports bodies and I think something may happen soon. ( brizal has 2016 0lympics) so they will be introducing BJJ to the games, as every country has the right to include a sport off their choice. I Hope!!:D Cause IM GONNA WIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPP ASS!! HaHaHa:eek::eek:

• Advertisement

YO, you havent said where you are located. If you are interested in MMA Id say from personal experiance, go to Jhon Kavanagh's BJJ club in Dublin, Paul Cowzers RUSH club North Dublin, Ropers Club in Dublin, Marty Walkers Antrim, Jascon Mccabe Derry, and a club in Galway, cant remember the name or look it up as im at work..(sorry).. All these guys cover Every aspect off MMA!! and are great coaches and people who will point you in the right dorection. Apart from this there is no board, Affiliation etc. Ive been in touch with a few sports bodies and I think something may happen soon. ( brizal has 2016 0lympics) so they will be introducing BJJ to the games, as every country has the right to include a sport off their choice. I Hope!!:D Cause IM GONNA WIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPP ASS!! HaHaHa:eek::eek:
    located in cavan, started a bjj class in carrickmacross last night which was only 30mins from my house, great craic and a great workout also, i was wrecked, starting mauy thai on monday in the same place, cant wait for that. its funny because just last week i couldnt find anything mma related in this backwards hole and now all of a sudden there seems to be clubs popping up everywhere!
    I think i have boards.ie to thank for that:D

Advertisement