Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tortoise/Turtle Food

Options
  • 03-12-2009 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I have a tortoise at home and have only had her a few months.

When I was getting a dog cage from zooplus.ie for Lexi I ordered a box of Tortoise food as well. But it arrived today (too late for Lexi :( ) but the food is turtle food.
    It looks the same but Im guessing its not the same?!! Does anyone know if its safe to feed??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

If its turtle food don't give it to a tortoise, what kind of tortoise is it you have??? I have a Russian Tortoise and wouldn't recommend tortoise pellets, they can cause serious long term illness especially where the kidneys are concerned, fresh food is alway best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

lrushe wrote: »
    If its turtle food don't give it to a tortoise, what kind of tortoise is it you have??? I have a Russian Tortoise and wouldn't recommend tortoise pellets, they can cause serious long term illness especially where the kidneys are concerned, fresh food is alway best.

I'm in total agreement with lrushe here.

OP: you haven't said what type of tortoise you have, and secondly what have you been feeding it in the meantime?

I would strongly suggest that you visit this site. It will answer any questions you have regarding tortoise husbandry.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I stringly agree with the others. Don't feed turtle food to a tortoise. The diets are quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Why are you even feeding commercial tortoise food to your tortoise to begin with?

Fresh vegetables and fruit is the best diet for a tortoise, not this commerical crap. I have an iguana, he never got dried iguana pellets, he was fed green leafy veg such as rocket, dandelions, etc (no lettuce!) from the beginning.

http://www.britishcheloniagroup.org.uk/

http://www.pettortoise.co.uk/

Demonique wrote: »
    Why are you even feeding commercial tortoise food to your tortoise to begin with?

Unfortunately there is alot of bad advice out there when it comes to reptiles. When I first bought my tortoise a few years ago I came home with a glass cage, a heat mat, tortoise pellets and wood chippings all on the recommendations of the pet shop owner. Only by getting advice from other tortoise enthusiasts did I learn never to put a tortoise in a glass cage, tortoises should only be heated from above (no heat mats), only feed fresh foods never pellets and dry wood chips are a big no no as they can cause respiratory problems, that's why fourms like these are so good! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Feed a nice mixed veg diet - I use grated parsnip, grated courgettes & assorted salad leaves, wild rocket, fruits etc & remember the calcium 2 times a week.

FAYESY wrote: »
    Feed a nice mixed veg diet - I use grated parsnip, grated courgettes & assorted salad leaves, wild rocket, fruits etc & remember the calcium 2 times a week.

This would depend on what kind of Tortoise the OP has, in the case of Russians you would never give them fruit as it causes gut problems and would keep veg to a minium, dark green leafy plants are the general rule so danelions, chickweed, turnip leaves, clover etc are all good. Also rather than give calcium twice a week I would recommend leaving a cuttle fish bone in their enclosure as giving too much calcium can cause gall / kidney stones, with the cuttle fish bone they will only eat it as and when they need extra calcium.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Here's another great resource for tort food Linky
    The pictures are handy for identifying the weeds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

lrushe wrote: »
    dry wood chips are a big no no as they can cause respiratory problems, that's why fourms like these are so good! :)

What alternatives are there for a wood chip substrate?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

aspen is a great alternative to wood chips,

• Advertisement

dbrock wrote: »
    aspen is a great alternative to wood chips,

I would disagree with this, aspen chips are even worse than ordinary wood chips. Wood chips are bad for too reasons, one the dust can cause repiratory and eye problems and two whatever substrate you use you need to be able to wet it down to provide the correct humidity, if you regularly wet down wood chips as would be required they will soon rot and turn green mouldy. Aspen chip are worse again because as the water evaporates it releases fumes with are not good for the tortoise. I use a mixture of 50% coconut coir and 50% reptile sand. Soak the coir block in a bucket of hot water until it falls apart and soaks up all the water then add the reptile sand. Give it a good mix and add it to the enclosure. The mixture needs to be deep enough for the tort to buried themselves if they wish, it should be completely soaked once a week and misted everyday. This will not only keep your tort hydrated but will help his shell and skin. Always make sure your temps are right because if you are soaking the substrate and your temps are too low you run the risk of you tort getting shell rot or a repiratory infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

aspen is non toxic, try the zoo med stuff
    http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=679
    as it says Contains no toxic resins or oils
    Odorless and virtually dust free

i keep my marginated,s in a mix of aspen and reptile sand, indian stars in a mix of aspen, coconut coir and sand,bit of topsoil
    sulcattas are in a mix of aspen and reptile sand all grand and no probs for over 10 years

Each to their own I guess, I just don't like aspen so I don't recommend it if asked for the reasons I've stated above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

dbrock is right, aspen is excellent!

One of the best substrates around.

Advertisement