Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadbury's Roses - the scummy ones that are always left at the bottom of the tin...

Options
  • 03-12-2009 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

....in particular the orange and red ones filled with gunk. My question is, do Cadbury's deliberately include these in the selection in order to make us think that the other sweets are delicious when in fact the whole lot are rubbish?

Every Christmas in my house, the strawberry and orange flavoured ones are always left at the bottom. Only when you're really desperate (i.e. exhausted all the other supplies of selection boxes, junk food etc) do you eat them. Or else my Dad just eats them because his eyesight is really bad so he can't tell the difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

We need to set up some kind of Roses exchange programme - I like the red and orange, but don't like the ones with whole nuts in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Raggaroo

Try rewrapping some of the red and orange ones in other wrappers, then watch people's faces as they open / eat them

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sabatier

I go straight for the nutty ones! or the really chewy fudgy ones. I think you're on to something with this exchange programme idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sabatier

Raggaroo wrote: »
    Try rewrapping some of the red and orange ones in other wrappers, then watch people's faces as they open / eat them

I believe I've done that in the past. The older people don't notice, or the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lotusflower

Raggaroo wrote: »

+1 haha such a good idea!!! Think i might actually try that one :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ha we love the gooey ones!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I will eat the orange and strawberry one's when the rest are all gone. We used to give the coffee cream ones to my nephew when he was a toddler. Then he grew some taste and they usually ended up in a pile in the box cos no one would touch them. Do they still even make the coffee cream ones??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Thoie wrote: »
    We need to set up some kind of Roses exchange programme - I like the red and orange, but don't like the ones with whole nuts in them.
    I'll totally swap ya!
    angie101 wrote: »
    Do they still even make the coffee cream ones??

No :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

The ones in the green wrappers are total rubish, what the hell are they? They're just plain chocolate with little bits of something sharp going through them..

I love the yellow or blue toffee ones.. I've been known to bust into a tin, hijack the nice ones and then re-sellotape the lid back on..

I'm not proud of it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Weird, there's been physical fights in my house over who gets the last strawberry one. Roses are generally crap now anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What is WRONG with people, the orange and strawberry are the nicest ones. All the sweets in roses are nice now actually, I wish they're reintroduce bournville though the way it used to be in the thin piece and bring back the thin piece of dairy milk, those chunks aren't nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

i've recently bought a tin of roses, first in many years and was bitterly disappointed with the drop in standards.

this is what i thought
    1. the cocoa mass used for the chocolate is less than that of the regular chocolate bars. it's just not chocolaty

2. the hazelnut swirl is no longer a 'swirl'. it's now just a rounded dome with some attempt at a swirl etched into it.

3. the wrappers are all plastic wrapped. the cool barrel ones are no longer in the half barrel foil. i used to like those.

4. there was a toffee one with a red wrapper that is no longer there.

5. the coffee one is gone.

6. even the tin is no longer the glossy dark blue, it's a matt finish.

7. the purple brazil nut one is no longer the same shape or have a brazil nut in it.

8. there is no longer any 2 kilo tins, the max tin size i can find it 975g

overall i have to go with quality street. roses have ended up with all of them being the horrible ones left behind for me. i may be mistaken on some of the points i made but that's just what i think.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

d4v1d wrote: »
    i've recently bought a tin of roses, first in many years and was bitterly disappointed with the drop in standards.

this is what i thought
    1. the cocoa mass used for the chocolate is less than that of the regular chocolate bars. it's just not chocolaty

2. the hazelnut swirl is no longer a 'swirl'. it's now just a rounded dome with some attempt at a swirl etched into it.

3. the wrappers are all plastic wrapped. the cool barrel ones are no longer in the half barrel foil. i used to like those.

7. the purple brazil nut one is no longer the same shape or have a brazil nut in it.

8. there is no longer any 2 kilo tins, the max tin size i can find it 975g

overall i have to go with quality street. roses have ended up with all of them being the horrible ones left behind for me. i may be mistaken on some of the points i made but that's just what i think.

Now there's a man who knows his roses :D

+1 on the 'diluted' chocolate, I notice this with Dairymilk bars that I buy in the duty free or abroad, tastes nothing like the rich Cadburys chocolate that we know and love.. waxy horrible sh1te imho..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

angie101 wrote: »
    Do they still even make the coffee cream ones??

I don't think they do. There was a girl in my class at school who loved the coffee creams, so a bunch of us would bring her in all the left over coffee creams from our houses when we went back to school in January!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Do you mean the Brazilian Darkness? Yes it is!

How long has it been since you bought a box of Roses? It's been gone for like 10 years :p

Doesn't affect the taste so doesn't bother me!

It's still got a nut! Maybe you got a faulty batch... weird... I dunno?! And it's a hazelnut...

overall i have to go with quality street.
    No.
    roses have ended up with all of them being the horrible ones left behind for me.
    Yup. All the praline and truffle-y ones gone to leave a pile of gooey gunky ones :(

i may be mistaken on some of the points i made

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Im bulimic - I eat the whole feckin box-full no matter what friggin' flavour they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Bravo d4d1t :D I agree with so many of your points!! I actually think this years ones are worse than last years :(

Having said that, I'd never resort to Quality St.. never :P

Advertisement