Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any compatibility issues with American components?

Options
  • 03-12-2009 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I know its a stupid question but a mate put the idea in my head that I'll have problems. I want to buy the i7 920 and corsair dominator from the states because of how cheap it is. The rest is being bought in Ireland. Will there be any issues?

While Im at it, what do you think of the spec so far? good/bad

Processor: Intel i7 920
    Mobo: Asus P6T SE (Dont need half the stuff the deluxe has)
    RAM:CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB
    Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY Radeon HD4890 Vapor-X - 1 GB DDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 - HDMi
    Power Supply: Corsair HX650
    Case: Antec 300

Thanks for the help in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

trekker_50 wrote: »
    I know its a stupid question but a mate put the idea in my head that I'll have problems. I want to buy the i7 920 and corsair dominator from the states because of how cheap it is. The rest is being bought in Ireland. Will there be any issues?

While Im at it, what do you think of the spec so far? good/bad

Processor: Intel i7 920
    Mobo: Asus P6T SE (Dont need half the stuff the deluxe has)
    RAM:CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB
    Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY Radeon HD4890 Vapor-X - 1 GB DDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 - HDMi
    Power Supply: Corsair HX650
    Case: Antec 300

Thanks for the help in advance

No problems whasoever, the PSU can autoswitch between 100V - 240 V.

Out of curiosity, you don't mind the question, what kind of savings are you making?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

Remember that American prices are all pre-tax and that you will still have to pay Irish VAT on this so it probably won't be that much of a saving after you factor in shipping costs too.

Who are you buying from?

EDIT: the CPU and RAM aren't region specific so will work on any PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Farcear wrote: »
    Remember that American prices are all pre-tax and that you will still have to pay Irish VAT on this so it probably won't be that much of a saving after you factor in shipping costs too.

Who are you buying from?

EDIT: the CPU and RAM aren't region specific so will work on any PC.

also depends if he has someone bringing them over for him.

last year i got my aunt to buy me a gpu, ram and some watercooling gear.
    total came to 450 dollars, but would have cost me almost 600 euro at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

also depends if he has someone bringing them over for him.

last year i got my aunt to buy me a gpu, ram and some watercooling gear.
    total came to 450 dollars, but would have cost me almost 600 euro at the time.

Your aunt should have paid duty when she declared it at the airport when she came back... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Your aunt should have paid duty when she declared it at the airport when she came back... :pac:

i never said she didnt ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

i never said she didnt ;)
    She didn't though did she? :D

It's random luck weather you get charged vat and tax when importing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

ScumLord wrote: »
    She didn't though did she? :D

It's random luck weather you get charged vat and tax when importing.

Why? Do customs sometimes let you off when you go up and honestly declare them :)

marco_polo wrote: »
    Why? Do customs sometimes let you off when you go up and honestly declare them :)

No, sometimes customs don't catch you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    No, sometimes customs don't catch you ;)

Its a very rare thing these days for customs not to hit non EU bought goods tho :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The only difference between the american components is that they are a bit fatter, and slightly more stupid :pac:

• Advertisement

Anti wrote: »
    The only difference between the american components is that they are a bit fatter, and slightly more stupid :pac:

And eat more caek. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

If buying anything in certain states when you get to the airport they give you back your taxes (this can be absued if staying with family and you start a collection of their receipts for everything they bought while you where there) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 trekker_50

Thanks for the info. Yeah my uncle is over there at the moment and said he'd bring over some stuff. On just the processer and ram Ill be saving E90.

Any opinions on the spec of the new build? Anywhere that could do with improvment. Not gonna be doing any massive overclocking or anything (might do later down the road)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

trekker_50 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Yeah my uncle is over there at the moment and said he'd bring over some stuff. On just the processer and ram Ill be saving E90.

Any opinions on the spec of the new build? Anywhere that could do with improvment. Not gonna be doing any massive overclocking or anything (might do later down the road)

I'd get a bigger case and go with something other than the Dominators,they are good,but you pay a hell of a premium for them.Look into G.Skill ram if you want ''performance chips'' (I say that becasue my Kingston Value Ram has been to 1400mhz with no problems).

You say you wont be overclocking so you could save a bit on your ram their.Look into Kingston ValueRam if you want to save.

I'd go with a CM690 (Pure edition,because of the painted interior) or my case the HAF922.Both avaiable from Komplett.If you want to spend a few quid on a case,look into the Lian-Li range on Pixmania

The 4890 is a good choice,unless you can wait a few months for 40nm yields to catch up,to pick up a 5850.4890 is still a great card though.

Just noticed you havn't picked out any HDD's.Samsung F3's in RAID are probably the best 7200 RPM drives out at the moment.

+1 for the kingston valuram btw.

I have 1333 CL9 running at 1200 CL6 atm XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I would QFT... but.. late night..lazy..meh !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Underclocking-and-overvolting generic OEM modules to grind super-tight latencies out of them will probably be The Next Big Thing. After all, your games will love you for it :)

Advertisement