Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road running events in Wexford for 2010

• 03-12-2009 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

2009 was a great year for road racing in Wexford with about 8 big running events and this included 2 half-marathons.

2010 is shaping up to be an even better year. Already there are 3 dates confirmed.

Mysport, Enniscorthy 10k - 14th Feb
    Wexford Half-Marathon - 2nd May
    Strawberry Half-Marathon - 27th June

I'm starting this thread to have a discussion on these events as they happen and have a forum for athletes to give their feedback to organisers before/after the events.

To kick off on a negative tone. My big gripe is the cost of entry to these events. The Wexford one is 48 Euro and the Strawberry one is 45 Euro (5 euro off if you enter 6 months in advance).

I think it is great to have good quality events in the county but do they have to be this expensive. Waterford have a half-marathon on the 12th for 20 Euro and the MySport is only 15 Euro, good value. Why the big difference for the two Wexford half-marathons. There is not as much money to throw around anymore and I think consideration should be taken of this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I am from Waterford and we are blessed with 20+ races every year,maybe more,and thats without going out of the county.
    I reckon the races up your way are so expensive is because there is not many races on and organisers know that local people will pay it rather than travel.
    I cannot see how some races are double the price of others,the prizes/prize money are always similar...so where is it going ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭HeavyRunner

Sosa.

Promoter organized events will always be more expensive because they are done to make a profit. Nothing wrong with that when they provide a good product and are open and clear about their motives. It should be very clear where the profit goes.

The club organized events are more focused on the athletes and are happy to break even or put the money back in to development of the sport. The majority of events in the county up to now have been good value and have stayed on or under the 20 Euro mark. The maximum I think should be 30 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 atnutin

i agree with you with prices of races.it not fair that a promotor can walk out of wexford with over 30k in his pocket after a half marathon an give a measily 2k to charity. its up to all clubs to get together and organize races so that money can stay in county and develop local athletics. the prizes that are offered are also v. poor in some of these races. shame on the athletic clubs for lettin this happen. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

i must say i really enjoy running the local races last year i did the my sport, the wexford and oylgate halfs and im off to waterford on saturday, i do think that you miss one point in the difference between club runs and non club runs..the staffing of it, i know in the my sport and the oylgate runs this year it was club (slaney olympic and oylgate gaa) members who gave up there sunday morings to make sure we all go the right direction im not sure non culb run events have the same? so do they need to pay people ? just woundering

Great thread look forward to reading it true out the year and hope running at a lot of the events

It's true there are different costs for different types of races. Not that much though. You never know, prices may come down on the two half-marathons.

Hopefully through this forum we can give feedback to improve these races and get better value for runners. In the end of the day it is a free world and we have the choice to do them or not.

Lets look forward to the MySport 10k in February. It's a well organized friendly race and very good value for what you get. They are promoting it much more this year so I think it will be even better and bigger this year.

• Advertisement

the stewards at the the wex half werent paid either ,there was a small contribution made to wex athletics to try an get volenteers they all should get paid a small amount considering there was such a big profit made. but i know promotor will say u dont ave to enter ,he just saw an oppertunity an grabbed it. the clubs ave to look at how much they could be makin for themselves and for charity, hope do mysport 10k too this year ,sounds like a good 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fitness fan

I ran the wex half 2009 and really enjoyed the experience even though I carried a calf tear into the run:(.I hope to do the half again in 2010 as it was very well run last time round. Might try the Starwberry half as well for the craic as they are both local and with kids its not easy to travel and run

I know they are not 2010 events but if you want a few short runs to cap off the decade these might be of interest.

The GOAL Mile is being staged this St Stephen's Day at Rosslare Athletic Club at 11am. A poster can be downloaded here

http://www.athleticswexford.com/downloads/GOAL_Mile_Poster.jpg

Kilmore AC are holding a one mile run on the road. This takes places in Kilmore village and is now open to all with a half-mile run for kids. Details at the following link:-

http://www.kilmoreathletics.com/index.php/events/details/203-kilmore-open-mile-2009

The Goal Mile sounds good to me its a way of blowing away a few cobwebs on Stephens morning. Its also better than a sponsered swim imo;);)

The Goal Mile sounds good to me its a way of blowing away a few cobwebs on Stephens morning. Its also better than a sponsered swim imo;);)
    It's on the running track in Rosslare Strand, only 50 or so meters from the sea. You have the option of a swim as well !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

The GOAL Mile is being staged this St Stephen's Day at Rosslare Athletic Club at 11am.

Also a Goal Mile being run in New Ross @ St Josephs Club track, Rosbercon...

Hope I have added up things right but I see the prize fund for the Strawberry Half-Marathon is just under 6000 Euro with a good range of categories. Details here

http://athleticswexford.com/index.php/fixtures/view/89/8

I see the Wexford Half Marathon has an ad in the Irish Runner and the fund is 1500 Euro. No Details on the categories though.

The Strawberry Festival Half-Marathon website is up and running. Very nice site with all the details you will need plus a course map.

http://www.strawberryhalfmarathon.com/index.html

That looks like a nice course to me and if you are a visitor staying over you have got the Strawberry fair as well. I have a feeling this one is going to be big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Agree with you there about the Enniscorthy half marathon site and route.

I know the roads around there well - its near the inlaws - and I hope to be around to run this.

Super website, really like the course description and the photographs are a nice touch. Many races could learn a lot from looking at this website...

Agree that it seems like a nice course, may be one to add in this year (might even replace the Wexford Half).

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

(might even replace the Wexford Half).[/quote]
    Steady on...

By the way where do ppl in Wexford train for their long runs? Maybe ppl would share some good routes/tracks in the county..... One of my fav runs is around the Raven Point into the woods back on the sand or Eden Vale (short tho)

I know there are good runs in Bunclody but I don't knwo where to go??

Anyone got a personal favourites

The Raven Point is my favorite too in Wexford.

'The Burrow' in Kilmore is 2nd on my list for Wexford. It is an acquired taste though. It is flat down along the path to the 'Pump House' (About 5 miles up and back). After that you can make it interesting and follow paths over the dunes (great views of the Wexford coast) or on the waters edge to the 'Old Ruin', (8 miles there and back).

Finally you can go the whole way to the end (13 miles round trip). This is a 'Rite of passage' for runners from that area. Here is a link to the starting point

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=52.178,-6.591&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=41.818029,92.724609&ie=UTF8&z=16

Might be worth contacting one of the clubs down there to get a 'guided tour' or join them on one of their training runs.

up and down Mount Leinster :)

Around the roads of Bree and trails of Bree hill when visiting the outlaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

Main road from enniscorthy to the wexford youths pitch and back the back roads
    ( true bree :-) and you home, have only beening running on roads but hope to get into trail running/cross country so this will help me to !!!

agree the burrow in kilmore quay is a great run,tough and not for the faint hearted but great when in good form, not good to be at end of it in cullenstown an ave to turn around when things not goin well.been there.

• Advertisement

Looks like the running scene is finally kicking off tomorrow with the county veterans cross country taking place in Kilmore.

Probably better to be splashing about in the mud with the state the roads are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 emmasmurf

Wexford Triathlon Club are organising a 10km race in Rosslare Strand on Easter Monday, the 5th April next, at 11am. Entry fee €15 and you can enter on the day. Put it in your diaries!

emmasmurf wrote: »
    Wexford Triathlon Club are organising a 10km race in Rosslare Strand on Easter Monday, the 5th April next, at 11am. Entry fee €15 and you can enter on the day. Put it in your diaries!
    Hi Emmasmurf, that's great. Do you have any details on the course yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Hi Emmasmurf, that's great. Do you have any details on the course yet.

http://www.wexfordtriathlonclub.com/wexford-triathlon-rosslare-10k/

OI wrote: »

Looks like a good run to get rid of excess chocolate hehehe !!

Starting to get busy. One every month up to June !

Leinster 10k, Galbally - 21st March
    Rosslare Strand 10k - 5th April

It's not road running but it is on forest paths.

I see that the Slaney Olympic open trail series is back. Details at

http://www.imra.ie/leagues/view/id/38/year/2010/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Clone Lane

Easter Sunday - Co Senior Road Race
    June - Mount Leinster Mountain Race run by Slaney Olympic members Graham and Jane porter who are also in charge of open trail series (as posted by Heavy Runner) and this years Strawberry Half, really good race, torture going up but the views at the top and pure joy of flying back down (makes you feel like a kid) more than make up for it.
    July Kilmore A.C 5km
    August - Kilmore A.C 10km
    October - Ferns 4Mile

Here is the up to date list for events in the county

Leinster 10k, Galbally - 21st March (*)
    Slaney Olympic Open Trail, Sliabh Bui north of Ferns - 28th March
    County Senior Road Race - Easter Sunday (*)
    Slaney Olympic Open Trail 2, - 25th April
    Slaney Olympic Open Trail 3, - 9th May
    Kilmore Quay 5k - 10th July
    Kilmore 10k road race - 11th September
    Mick Murphy 4 Mile - October

(*) = A championship race and you will need to be a member of an AAI club.

• Advertisement

Looking like a nice day for the first Wexford open road race of the year, the MySport 10k in Enniscorthy http://www.mysport.ie/

Hope they get good numbers. No doubt they will. It is a good race.

Just added the Oylegate half. We have a road race in the county for each month until October !

Oylegate half-marathon - 22nd August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭steoc

Hi all,
    Any idea what the Galbaly 10 k course is like.
    I see its a Lenster 10K what does that mean?
    I am a newbe can i run in it?

Cheers for any info.
    Steoc

steoc wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Any idea what the Galbaly 10 k course is like.
    I see its a Lenster 10K what does that mean?
    I am a newbe can i run in it?

Cheers for any info.
    Steoc
    Hi Steoc,

It is a Leinster championship event. It is open to anyone who is a member of an Athletics club in Leinster. If you are from Wexford you can find a club near you at this link:-
    http://athleticswexford.com/index.php/clubs

Details of the event are at this link:-

http://athleticswexford.com/index.php/fixtures/view/80/8

If you are not a member of a club you should consider joining one. It is not expensive and there are all levels of runners in each club.

Two events coming up. The Slaney Olympic Open Trail is a series of 3 hill running events aimed at the beginner. Full details at this link

Open trail

Also the county wexford road championships are on Good Friday evening in Enniscorthy. The masters and novice championships had nearly 80 athletes finish the course and there was a greate buzz at it. Hopefully this will be the same. Details here

Wexford road championships

A great little race this morning.. the first of the Slaney Trail series. Didn't take part myself but took a few photos. Check out:
    http://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/790/

• Advertisement

Photos and results from the county championships in rainy Davidstown now up

Wex Champs

10k on in Rosslare strand tomorrow at 11am. Register there from 9:30. Entry prices are €15 individual, €20 relay, €10 walkers. Kids race is free of charge. Great location, should be a good race.

Click here for details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Were down for this today, my better half ran it. She and her running buddy thought it was a lovely course, it stayed dry and reasonably warm - just a pity about the gale force winds! I'd say they'll be back again next year.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Were down for this today, my better half ran it. She and her running buddy thought it was a lovely course, it stayed dry and reasonably warm - just a pity about the gale force winds! I'd say they'll be back again next year.

Ran it myself this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it. The whole thing was well organised congratulations to all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

I also ran the Rosslare 10k this morning and my wife and her sister walked it. We all thought it was great and very well organised. I even won a spot price. Hope it happens every year!

• Advertisement

I didn't get to run it myself but did get down to watch. There was a great athmosphere at it and it was very well organized. Type of race you would bring the family to to. More races should be like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Just added the Oylegate half. We have a road race in the county for each month until October !

This is a great list man, cheers, definitely gonna target some of these. The two kilmore races anyway cause they are great craic and great value, the oylegate half looks tantalizing aswell.

In the thick of study at the moment so between that and family life been far too busy to run. Exams are finished on the 23rd so gonna hit the roads with a vengeance after that.

Just added one new one, the Ballycarney 5 mile

Ballycarney 5 mile - 16th April

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

Just added one new one, the Ballycarney 5 mile

Ballycarney 5 mile - 16th April

Damn it the weekend of the Great Ireland. Missing my chance for a glorious return my old stomping ground

Another one, a bit different this time:-

Dunes in June is a 4 mile run through the dunes in 'The Burrow' beside Kilmore Quay.

Dunes in June - 19th June

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

Hey man, is the oylegate half still in the schedule

calabi yau wrote: »
    Hey man, is the oylegate half still in the schedule
    Thanks calabi_yau. I must have pasted over it. Here is the latest list.

Dunes in June - 19th June

Very nice trail race this morning at Kilbrannish near Bunclody. Starts with a downhill and had a nasty long climb at the 3 mile mark but then you had a fast flowing downhill after that to cheer you up. Great atmosphere at these races and we just managed to finish before the downpour. Roll on next trail race in 2 weeks time. Mind you a 'trail' race almost implies that it is going to be easy. This was anything but :) ... wouldn't recommend racing the previous day but then again why not.

So who else is doing the half marathon on Sunday? I think I saw TFB and Sosa mention, anyone else signed up?

I'm starting to look forward to it now, racing has been going pretty well over the last few weeks and it'll be nice to give a longer distance a blast :) Only worry is the late start, but I guess the train takes precedence...

I would only I'll be praying as I'm running (and crawling) up a mountain in Mayo :rolleyes:
    http://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/732/
    Might get you out on a Wexford hill race at some stage. The Mt. Leinster race is a classic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement