Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postman didn't deliver letter so I have to collect!

Options
  • 03-12-2009 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Just checked my postbox and got a note than a registered letter could not be delivered and I have to collect it out in the Tuam Rd. Our postboxes are at the entrance to the complex, next to a keypad for ringing apartments. I was in the house all day and didn't get any call!!! :mad:

So now I've a few problems....
    • It says the item will be kept for 3 days if from Ireland or 16 days if from the UK/foreign. But they don't tell me which it is!!
    • I don't have a car so can't just spin out to the Tuam road to collect!
    • I've exams next week so don't have time to walk it!
    Does anyone know a number where maybe I could try get a message to the postman now if he's still doing rounds and try get it delivered before he dumps it out the Tuam road?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Nope,

You'll have to go out for it. They don't budge on it. I caught a postman years ago in Waterford shoving one of those things through my letterbox, ran out to him, said it's grand you can give me the parcel. Oh sorry, he says, I don't have it. So after getting my head around that I ask can I call over to pick it up in the post office so, and he says yeah, tomorrow. I ask why not today and he says, get this, it's probably in another van!

So good luck with it, but I think you'll be walking, or at the very least getting someone else to pick it up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

If it needs your signature (registered post) they only keep for 3 days ... they keep it for 16 days if its bog standard post. (which to me doesn't make sense - pay more get less time to collect .. great)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Calm down, ring them, and be nice about it. See will he come round again, if he has time. Be really cool about it, and they may. Have missed a drop-off before (was in bed), and rang and asked if he could come back later. The postman did, and I got my parcel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Where abouts in galway are you living? my boyfriend has to go out there tomorrow to collect one as well if you want him to get it for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

the_syco wrote: »
    Calm down, ring them, and be nice about it. See will he come round again, if he has time. Be really cool about it, and they may. Have missed a drop-off before (was in bed), and rang and asked if he could come back later. The postman did, and I got my parcel :D

Clearly you've never encountered the guy who usually answers the phone out there. He's a thundering cnut and being nice is not in his skill set. They generally err on the side of unreasonable in the mails centre in the Tuam road.

There is one decent guy there but he hardly ever answers the phone; the woman who is there isn't all that helpful either.

I get most stuff delivered to an alternative address now; it's just easier. I grew tired of an Post and their Mail centre antics.

Although in fairness I must say that my actual postman is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I'm just thinking... with people working and so many people buying online now.... would there be a business possibility for setting up a city-centre collection address. Register with them then they sign for the package and send you a text when it arrives.

I remember when I was out at the Tuam road centre before Christmas last year there was a Polish dude with a van running a Tuam Rd collection service! He picks up your receipt then drops off your package after doing a run out. Can't find details for him now though! Thought it was a clever idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The first one's a great idea foto joe.

I've had hassle getting stuff for other people and vice versa though - EVEN when they had my signed slip and id.

I suppose it depends who you get.

Tried ringing them to see if they're try a re-delivery tomorrow and it's just ringing out... ahhhh what a service! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

smog wrote: »
    If it needs your signature (registered post) they only keep for 3 days ... they keep it for 16 days if its bog standard post. (which to me doesn't make sense - pay more get less time to collect .. great)

Could be a summons foto joe.
    Would be a kick in the arse if you travelled out for that.

• Advertisement

Lol, I'll send my best suit in for dry cleaning so!

I'm fairly sure what it is now, does anyone know does this look like a Royal Mail registered post number format: RL#########IE ? (# = number)

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

It's very inconvenient where they are located, I don't know why they don't leave the package at your local post office, that would seem to make more sense.

Coming up to Christmas the poor postman would have his back broken carrying around all the packages, chances are most people aren't at home during the day anyway and he lugs them around all day only to have to return them to the post office at the end of the day. Simple solution: don't carry any of them and leave a receipt instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ocho

foto joe wrote: »
    I'm just thinking... with people working and so many people buying online now.... would there be a business possibility for setting up a city-centre collection address. Register with them then they sign for the package and send you a text when it arrives.

Excellent idea ... I needed somewhere to get 10 kilos of cocaine delivered to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Similar to OP's problem, today I returned from the gym, to have our new next-door neighbours on left side approach my car.
    "The postman asked me yesterday to take a parcel for you, but seeing as I didn't know you I said try the house on the right side, sorry!"
    Fair enough, no problem there, except I don't trust my other neighbours as far as I could throw them.
    So if indeed the postman did leave in a package with the neighbours on our right side, and I ring their door bell and they deny taking it in, where does that leave me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

The An Post mails collection centre on the Tuam road makes me mad!!!

It's located miles away from town, with no bus service or public transport to get there. Impossible to walk for a lot of older people, and for a lot of fit people too, depending on the post they're picking up! (I wouldn't fancy waking 3 miles with an awkward parcel tucked under my arm!). If you're cycling, it's a long way from anywhere, and usually in the rain. So you basically have 2 choice - car or a pricey taxi ride.

Then it's only open from 9 - 5.30, Monday to Friday - a typical working person's hours! How are you meant to collect your parcel when you're at work?! Take holidays hours?! Why isn't it open on Saturdays? or until at least 6.30? What kind of service is that?!

I also dislike that even if your postal slip says "attempted delivery made at 9.15am", you still can't collect your mail until the next day...why not that afternoon, if you have the time? I'm sure it's back at the centre by the afternoon!

I too, have found delivery slips in my letterbox on days off when I haven't left the house...I live in an upstairs apartment, and I don't know why the postman can't be bothered to ring the bell! I've even caught my postman in the act, as it were, of leaving an attempted delivery notice, and asked why he didn't ring...I reckon it's a time saving effort on their behalf..that and they can't be bothered to walk up stairs...

The fact they usually only have 1, or at most 2 people on the counter means it's really really slow service - which means a lunch time collection takes the full hour of your lunch break, if you're lucky enough to get a full hour!

Every time I'm there, there seems to be faffing around behind the counter...can't find a parcel, takes a million years to locate a package...ploddingly slow, 1 person at a time 'service.'

And the sending it back after 3 days baffles me. What if you're on your holidays? They've loads of room out there, why can't they keep it for a week? Or attempt to redeliver?

Ireland has a woeful Postal service, especially for such a small country. It should be easy to get parcels from A - B! And redeliver parcels. And generally provide a much better service!

I get my parcels sent to an alternate address now instead.

Anyway, rant over, for now...
    :)

OP, I'll pick it up on Monday for ya if you like.. I work near it. PM me if you wanna give me the slip Sunday evening..

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

if you ring them and ask to have it delivered to your nearest post office they will have no prob doin this as long as your local post office agrees to accept your letter,have had many missed parcels redelivered to my local post office without any hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

pdiddy wrote: »
    if you ring them and ask to have it delivered to your nearest post office they will have no prob doin this as long as your local post office agrees to accept your letter,have had many missed parcels redelivered to my local post office without any hassle

I tried that once and the lady I spoke to on the phone wouldn't budge on it.It was a flat out no even though I explained I was sick and absolutely could not pick it up out on the Tuam Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

NMoore wrote: »
    The An Post mails collection centre on the Tuam road makes me mad!!!

It's located miles away from town, with no bus service or public transport to get there. Impossible to walk for a lot of older people, and for a lot of fit people too, depending on the post they're picking up!

I agree totally, it's just ridiculous.

This page has info about the closest you'll get by bus. People here say it's a 15 minute walk - suspect it would take me longer, and there's an evil roundabout on the way way too.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭browneire

Isn't there a place on the back of that form to give an alternate address?

I'm not sure that they will allow anyone collect it on your behalf, I've been asked for my passport out there before.

I agree - their system doesn't work. The easiest way out is to bring the parcel collection service back into the GPO.

• Advertisement

Yea there is but I don't have an alternative address. Hmn wonder if I give my own address again! Anyway they probably wouldn't even get my returned Delivery Notice within the 3days!!

You can fill out the back with an assigned Agent to collect it, then sign below.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

Happened to me once and I just got a taxi their and back because I hadn't a clue where the depot was located even after trying to figure it out on the map on the card the postman left. They ask for ID when you get their and got the parcel very promptly after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Even if you do get a bus out to the closest possible bus stop to it, and make a stab at walking to it, have you seen the driveway in?? :eek: Not only is the walk bad, but jesus the trek in the gate is enough to make you puke

• Registered Users Posts: 10,467 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Had to walk out there a few months ago to collect a small parcel. 3 staff spent 25mins running around looking for it without luck (fair play). I tried to explain what it should look like. Then the penny dropped- the postman had written down PACKET they were looking for a JACKET!! Nearly got killed crossing the roundabout on the way back as well. Only good thing was the Trappers Inn on the way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Tuam road depot is so far from town.
    No bus or public transport,

Ok, it's an handy cycle but it's a loooooooong walk and I used to live in Ballybrit which is one of the closest areas. Still a long walk.
    I think there is a shortcut from Ballybrit across the racecourse grounds but I don't know it

I'm not sure how elderly people who don't drive manage at all!
    fend wrote: »
    Not only is the walk bad, but jesus the trek in the gate is enough to make you puke

True, the depot is way up the back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

pdiddy wrote: »

I'd heard this once so asked them, they absolutely refused and said they "never do that". They bloody should!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

I'm fairly sure what it is now, does anyone know does this look like a Royal Mail registered post number format: RL#########IE ? (# = number)

"IE" is an Irish Number, but it could still be from the UK or another country.

An Post assign their own tracking number to items from abroad, in addition to the original number.

For example, I recently got a parcel from the UK with an original sender tracking number of EE11027####GB and when it arrived in Ireland, An Post gave it a tracking number of EP32506####IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

mikemac wrote: »
    I'm not sure how elderly people who don't drive manage at all!

I can't help but wonder if the one of the owners/directors/etc of Galway's taxi companies is related to the An Post staff member who decided to locate the parcel service out there!

(Maybe I'm just cynical ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

inisboffin wrote: »
    I'd heard this once so asked them, they absolutely refused and said they "never do that". They bloody should!

honestly ive done this 4 or 5 times without no trouble must have rang them on good days,i do agree the depot is in a crazy spot and most of the postmen dont even try delivering the parcel much easier just drop a delivery notice in the letter box,dont even bother trying to wait at home for them anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Lol, I'll send my best suit in for dry cleaning so!

I'm nearly sure that that's an An Post registered number. However these can be put on in Ireland even if it is from the UK as An Post use there own system to monitor in Ireland.

More often than not they will hold on to it for at least a week even though it says 3 days.

Advertisement