Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postman didn't deliver letter so I have to collect!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Ah it's coming up on An Post's tracking site now (I had entered 1 instead of I before, could have been either!)

ITEM IN DEPOT GALWAY MAIL CENTRE GALWAY 04-Dec-09
    ITEM IN DEPOT GALWAY MAIL CENTRE GALWAY 03-Dec-09 NO ANSWER AT ADDRESS :mad:
    ITEM IN DEPOT GALWAY MAIL CENTRE GALWAY 03-Dec-09
    ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER GALWAY MAIL CENTRE GALWAY 03-Dec-09
    ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER CORK MAIL CENTRE CO CORK 02-Dec-09
    ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER CORK MAIL CENTRE CO CORK 02-Dec-09
    ITEM RECEIVED COBH CO CORK 02-Dec-09

Does international post come to Cork or should I assume it's from Ireland (3days to collect)?!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

It looks like it was posted in Cobh.
    If it came from abroad, you would probably have seen something like this on the Tracking page:

An Post No. / Sender No. / Status / Location / Date / Receiver Name / Country of Origin
    EP32506####IE / EE11002####GB /DELIVERED/MYTOWN/19-Oct-09/--/UNITEDKINGDOM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Well good luck with it, I have had stuff end up there and after half an hour of them searching for it they couldn't find.

I never did get it, it just "dissapeared"

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

An Post have never delivered any packages when I ordered stuff online, to the point that I just prefer paying the extra for courier service.

The hilarious thing is they have started advertising that they are the way to go with online shopping ( their vans with some muppet surfing on a parcel or something).

After seeing this thread, I can see they put all the effort into nifty new van designs but kept the not bothering to actually deliver part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Whenever i miss anything i just call and ask them to re-deliver the next day, you just have to hang around all day for the postie then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah they're alright, I had a little waterproof note on the door for a while when I had a lot of stuff coming asking him to please ring the doorbell, he usually did and Id be out of bed and downstairs just as he was getting into his van, he didnt wait around after pushing the doorbell, you know that white docket they put through the letterbox is a freepost thing where you can just fill in an alternative address and have them deliver it there the next day, or the day after depending on how long it takes them to get the docket after you post it, Ive had them deliver stuff to the reception in GMIT with that before and nobody said anything. Cant beat the couriers though, they go above and beyond to get it to you on the day if you give them your number.

I got a lift out to the Tuam Road yesterday to find it was a DVD that I had bought online that they sent by Registered Post. It would fit easy in the postbox but they needed a signature and didn't want to wait the 20seconds for someone to call out and sign. :mad: No need for it to be send by registered post, cost €5.90 instead of €1.50 .... and of course I was charged €9.50 delivery!

What makes it worse is I got another notice today for a parcel!!! I was expecting it so have been studying at home this morning, right beside the phone/buzzer-receiver. Not a call. I keep trying to call them on the number provided (091-778 700) but it just rings out. AGHH!

With AnPost laying off a load of staff, the service can only get worse!

They finally answered the phone...

Asked if a redelivery was possible this afternoon if the postman was still out on rounds...
    "No no noooo, sure I wouldn't know where the postman is, not at all. You can pick it up here tomorrow"

And are they meant to ring the number when they call?
    "Yes ring the bell or knock on the door"

I was here all morning and there was no call, second time in the last week.
    "Oh well I don't know how you didn't hear him... is you door bell working?" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

foto joe wrote: »
    They finally answered the phone...

Asked if a redelivery was possible this afternoon if the postman was still out on rounds...
    "No no noooo, sure I wouldn't know where the postman is, not at all. You can pick it up here tomorrow"

And are they meant to ring the number when they call?
    "Yes ring the bell or knock on the door"

I was here all morning and there was no call, second time in the last week.
    "Oh well I don't know how you didn't hear him... is you door bell working?" :mad:

LOL. Sounds like them alright. A shower of wasters.

Actually you managed a minor miracle even getting them to answer the phone. They usually let it ring out.

Only took about 20 attempts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Today someone rang the bell, when my wife went out the postman was on his way back to the van, he didn't leave any note nor he waited. It was my new passport!
    I think they presume there is nobody at home in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I got TWO visits from my postman today. Fair Play to him :)

Xiney, do you live in a house or in a development with flats?
    I think they know most of the people is working and they call anyways (fair play) but you have to be quick to catch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

It really is a good idea to get to know your postman.

Indeed, but not always possible, it shouldn't depend on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

lucianot wrote: »
    Xiney, do you live in a house or in a development with flats?
    I think they know most of the people is working and they call anyways (fair play) but you have to be quick to catch them.

Neither... I live in a granny flat. Our postman is really good though - he even forwarded on Mr. Xiney's voting card for the lisbon treaty when we had recently moved down the road even though we didn't forward our mail and hadn't had time to sort out our new address with the elections folk (by the time we knew where our new address was, it was too late to change things)

I think I'll get him at least a little box of chocolate for Christmas, actually. He really is sound.

lucianot wrote: »
    Today someone rang the bell, when my wife went out the postman was on his way back to the van, he didn't leave any note nor he waited. It was my new passport!
    I think they presume there is nobody at home in the morning.

That could have lead to an interesting stand-off out the Tuam Road...

"Sorry I'll need to see photographic ID before I can let you have it..."
    "Let me have it and I can show you photo ID"
    "Show me photo Idea and you can have it".........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Not wanting to drag the thread off topic but is it considered normal up here to give your postman something at Christmas?

This is the first year that I've had the same guy all the time and he's actually pretty good so I wouldn't mind acknowledging it.

Its very common back home but is it done in Galway?

I have my issues with the mails centre but he's actually a sound man!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've never given anything to either bin men or post men. Maybe that's more common out in the rural areas where they'd talk and know each others names?
    If you don't know how much to give, maybe hang a small bag of sweets on the door labelled "for the post man"?

We'd always do it at home too but haven't heard of it in the city.

If he makes the effort to actually get packages and the likes to you then yea, I would. Might save a few trips to the Tuam Road for the following year! :)

• Advertisement

Fair enough in the op's situation as he was at home, but in general I don't see why people just don't get there stuff delivered to them at work. Unless its something very big I would have it delivered to me at work then you are guaranteed to get it as security/goods in will take it from postman/courier (well in my place anyway).

Some people aren't allowed to have packages delivered to work tho.

I'm a culchie really so I wasn't sure if twas the done thing to give the postie something or not at Xmas.

Am I right in thinking not then?

Some people aren't allowed to have packages delivered to work tho.

I suppose some places might be strict like that. We would be ordering work related equipment and components regularly and stuff is always addressed to the person who orders it so no notice would be taken if it was personal.

I have never heard of giving the postman something at xmas, I would also fall under the heading of culchie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

Why not try the following.......An Post are making a huge issue with their staff about 'Quality Of Service', ie next-day delivery. What I suggest is that you print off some copies of this thread, send one copy to your local newspaper, one copy to the press office in the GPO, and another copy to John Martin, Operations Mgr, An Post, Eglington St Galway......that should light a few fires!!!!!!

A lot of work places wouldn't allow deliveries to work. I had to sign something to that effect in a previous workplace.
    I have never heard of giving the postman something at xmas, I would also fall under the heading of culchie :)

Don't forgot the milkman and coal/turf-man too!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Back when I was a kid, we'd always leave something (ie six-pack) for the postie, milkman and rubbish-collector. That was overseas, in a city the size of Cork.

Lots of things about Ireland now make me say "ahh, home was like that 10/20/30 years ago". So it wouldn't surprise me at all to find things being left for these folks,

However there are some unique cultural issues with leaving things out for them to find in this country (nuff said, you know what I mean).

Although if they work for the council, I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to accept gifts now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I think the postie can't accept money gifts but a small token is OK.

I remember the bin men used to knock on the door at Christmas with the hand out and God help you if you didn't put a tenner in it! remember one year a new neighbour gave them some mince pies and for the whole year his rubbish was "accidentally" spilled in his front garden as they collected.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I think the postie can't accept money gifts but a small token is OK.

So even if you try to give them money they can't accept it?

I was just going to give him cash....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I don't think they're allowed but that's not to say they won't take it. Think it used to be a problem years ago much like my 80s bin men example. There's also the Benefit in Kind thing where any earnings have to be taxed etc (the reason we don't get hampers at work for Christmas anymore!)

I'd say if you put it in a Christmas card it'd be grand though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I don't think they're allowed but that's not to say they won't take it. Think it used to be a problem years ago much like my 80s bin men example. There's also the Benefit in Kind thing where any earnings have to be taxed etc (the reason we don't get hampers at work for Christmas anymore!)

I'd say if you put it in a Christmas card it'd be grand though.

I remember my Mam doing it in Dublin when I was little. Bin man, Postie, etc, pretty sure they all still get a tenner. I'd agree with Das Kitty, slip it in a card, or else put a voucher for a tenner in.

Advertisement