Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU 'saved country from total collapse'

Options
  • 03-12-2009 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭

THE Irish economy would have collapsed during the banking crisis last year had it not been for the support of Europe, Finance Minister Brian Lenihan admitted yesterday.

Support from the European Central Bank, after the banks were guaranteed in September of last year, helped save our bacon, he added.

"Were we not in the euro zone in the last year, our banking crisis could have resulted in a general collapse of the State," Mr Lenihan said in Brussels.

"That didn't happen because of the ECB. I believe that Ireland should play its full part in constructing a robust system of European financial supervision."

Independent

Of course he's only saying that to try to get people to vote Yes...oh, no, wait...he's only saying it to get Fianna Fáil off the hook...no, wait...he's probably just wrong, anyway, I'm sure.

amused,
    Scofflaw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

did you not hear some bright whooring sparks (DMcW im looking at you) think we should leave the euro and "float" on our own

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

From the same article:
    Since the time of the bank guarantee scheme, the European Commission and the ECB have been monitoring the Irish banking sector and economy.

The Commission is currently reviewing restructuring programmes for Anglo, Allied Irish and Bank of Ireland.

Does this mean possible nationalisation (or should that be EU-isation?) of those banks via EU commission decree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I read somewhere that the ECB intervention was worth about 30 billion euro in short term finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

peasant wrote: »
    From the same article:

Does this mean possible nationalisation (or should that be EU-isation?) of those banks via EU commission decree?

Not based on those couple of phrases, anyway. As far as I know, though, the rules on state aids to banks can have the result that the government winds up getting more and more shares in the bank.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

peasant wrote: »
    From the same article:

actually i wouldn't be surprised if EU steps in and does something about Irish banks

the current pseudo-nationalization is very anti competitive, and they already stepped in last month and sorted that dutch bank out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    actually i wouldn't be surprised if EU steps in and does something about Irish banks

the current pseudo-nationalization is very anti competitive, and they already stepped in last month and sorted that dutch bank out

I'd read the Commission was keeping a close eye on Anglo Irish.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭BetterLisbon

Our banking crisis was caused by our eurozone membership in the first place. So i dont see why we should be so grateful to europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Martin 2

Our banking crisis was caused by our eurozone membership in the first place. So i dont see why we should be so grateful to europe.

Our banking crisis was caused by poor banking practice and ineffective government regulation. Our banking sector survival is largely due to Eurozone membership and associated ECB liquidity support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I suppose you could pin the banking crisis on Europe in that if it weren't for our membership of the EU we would have no money to put in banks, so we couldn't have a banking crisis.

But I'm not sure that option is much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭BetterLisbon

We could be like Sweden. In the EU but not in the euro. Its worked out very well for them despite a tsunami of scaremongering during their 2003 referendum campaignabout economic collapse if they said no.

• Advertisement

We could be like Sweden. In the EU but not in the euro. Its worked out very well for them despite a tsunami of scaremongering during their 2003 referendum campaignabout economic collapse if they said no.

Don't think they had a property bubble or huge banking crisis like say Iceland, neither did Germany come to think of it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

K-9 wrote: »
    Don't think they had a property bubble or huge banking crisis like say Iceland, neither did Germany come to think of it.
    They did have one in the early nineties and the memory of this may have influenced their decision.

SkepticOne wrote: »
    They did have one in the early nineties and the memory of this may have influenced their decision.

Considering only a couple of countries in the Euro had property bubbles that would have been an incorrect influence.

Even Spain hasn't had the same banking crisis as us. The wonders of bank regulation.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Our banking crisis was caused by our eurozone membership in the first place.
    As was the recent flooding throughout the country. And the puncture I got there a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

K-9 wrote: »
    Even Spain hasn't had the same banking crisis as us. The wonders of bank regulation.

Aye, Spain is a good example of how a housing bubble doesn't automatically cause a banking crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

oscarBravo wrote: »
    As was the recent flooding throughout the country. And the puncture I got there a while back.

So you don't think the low interest rates during the bubble made the problem worse ?

jhegarty wrote: »
    So you don't think the low interest rates during the bubble made the problem worse ?

Personally, I believe Bertie telling naysayers to commit suicide, Tax Relief on €1,700 a month Interest for First Time Buyers, Yep, €20,000 a year mortgage interest was tax deductible and encouraged (would be a €Million mortgage), ignoring warnings from the ECB, you know the EUROPEAN CENTRAL BANK, Regulators being warned about lending to affordability ratios and asking banks about how much they where lending as far back as 2003, Banks said "Nah, of course we aren't lending too much", Regulator said "OK then", everybody ignoring warnings from as far back as 2002 on the property bubble, "Rent is dead money" mantra, the keeping up with the Jones lifestyle, investors flooding the market with tax incentives, property always goes up, the Irish obsession with property, Govt. and Unions giving income tax cuts for people to afford houses, the I deserve a house mentality, investors in for a quick buck and selling for a quick buck, Estate Agents, nobody bothering to invest in anything not property related, FF, Coalitions, FG/Labour, I could go on.

But YEP, it was mostly down to the Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

What a pathetically simplistic statement.

sounds like something he read in Daily Mail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

"EU 'saved country from total collapse'" What a pathetically simplistic statement.
    FYP :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It's from the Indo, what do you expect! :p

SkepticOne wrote: »
    FYP :D

Wellllll, you know that isn't true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

no more pathetically simplistic than ' EU 'saved country from total collapse'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

utick wrote: »

The difference is the ECB actually DID provide Irish banks (which was used to buy Irish Government debt) with money during the worst of the financial crisis last year when no one else would. So, it may be simplistic but it is actually true in this case.

utick wrote: »

No, it really isn't when you actually know what the terms suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    did you not hear some bright whooring sparks (DMcW im looking at you) think we should leave the euro and "float" on our own
    I would say we would more than likely sink, rather than "float" on our own. Do you think we would survive as a country and economy, with the vast ever increasing levels of debt we have?

Did you know for example, that the mooted €4Billion savings will only go to pay the interest on our national debt next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I'm still waiting for those jobs we were promised for voting yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

RedPlanet wrote: »

Well you have to wait until the Lisbon Treaty is written into law first, and then a little bit more time for it to actually take effect. Even if jobs were promised, which they weren't, did anyone actually give a time frame for their creation, or is that some people thought and still think, despite being told otherwise, that they would just suddenly start appearing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

RedPlanet wrote: »

Well, anytime you want you can have a job as a conscript in the EU Army. Just ask your local No group to find out where you need to report...

PS The changes in Lisbon really turned out make a really, really big deal in our day-to-day lives, didn't they? :rolleyes:

Advertisement