Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V.A.T. in adverts

Options
  • 03-12-2009 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi folks.

Just a quick question, if you see an ad in that offers 'special offer until Saturday December 5th 50c per ltr. on home heating oil' would one assume that the 50c would include VAT, there is no mention of it in the advert?

Cheers
    T

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Prices to consumers should always include VAT. Only prices for business can be given ex VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

we have had several experiences with oil companies making an offer for oil and turning around at the end of the sale and saying oh that was not including vat... my dad has actually gotten them to give it to use ex vat because thats what they offered to him as a personal individual.

i dont know the laws surrounding, an offer to buy. someone else can fill this in (been a while since i studied it)
    in that they made you an offer, then you came back to them saying you will take them up on the offer, until they accept you taking it up they dont have to give it to you.

they make an invitation of treat to you, you make an offer to him, then they will complete the contract with you.
    cant beat contract law.

i am totally waffling here... but as i said hopefully someone can fill in the missing parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Its worthy of complaining to the ASAI

http://www.asai.ie/entiresection.asp?Section_Num=2&Section_Desc=General Rules
    Except in marketing communications addressed primarily to the trade, prices quoted should normally include VAT and other taxes, duties or inescapable costs to the consumer.Where applicable, the amounts of any other charges, such as those arising from the method of purchase or payment, should be stated. (Where marketing communications are addressed to the trade and quote a VAT-exclusive price, it should be clear that the price is VAT-exclusive).

Might stop them running the ad in future!

The NCA might be interested too

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Prices/Tax-inclusive_prices.html

(don't hold your breath while waiting for a quick result)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It could be considered misleading as consumer prices should always be inclusive of VAT. I'd consider making a complaint to the ASAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

price for kerosene should be about €520 per 1000 litres. 50c + vat @ 13.5% is expensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

samhail wrote: »
    in that they made you an offer, then you came back to them saying you will take them up on the offer, until they accept you taking it up they dont have to give it to you.

they make an invitation of treat to you, you make an offer to him, then they will complete the contract with you.
    cant beat contract law.

i am totally waffling here... but as i said hopefully someone can fill in the missing parts.
    so once they have filled your tank at the stated price they can be deemed to have accepted your offer and the contract is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

mcaul wrote: »
    price for kerosene should be about €520 per 1000 litres. 50c + vat @ 13.5% is expensive

If you think 50c + VAT is expensive, you want to try buying it down in Limerick county. Two weeks ago I paid 61.8c + VAT = 70.14c per litre. :eek:

Maybe I should be posting this in the Rip Off Ireland forum instead!

Advertisement